The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The Pet Thread Redux (Reptiles/Mammals/Fish Anything!)

Post by JAGzilla »

I'll never understand people who are terrified of snakes, or worse, find them ugly or disgusting. Like, look at Mushy up there, ophidiophobes. Look at him. You look him in his beady little eyes and tell him he isn't as cute as any puppy.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:26 am I'll never understand people who are terrified of snakes, or worse, find them ugly or disgusting. Like, look at Mushy up there, ophidiophobes. Look at him. You look him in his beady little eyes and tell him he isn't as cute as any puppy.
Exactly, I believe it comes down to human ignorance tbh. I've read ""statistically"" people are afraid of snakes because its "in our genes" to be scared of known threats to our species but?? How many primal instincts have we managed to grow out of in the vast majority of the time we've been here on this planet? It just comes down to some people refusing to see independent animals as anything more than bitey, soulless, mindless, potential handbags and boots. They refuse to understand, because it's easier to fear. Some dogs can bite, most cats bite, even fish can bite. But since these animals are either furry or glubglubs in water, they get a free pass with humanity.

But yeah lol, rant aside, MUSHY IS A PUPPY or at least he believes himself to be. He may get spooked by shadows and roll up in a ball, but it's only bc he's 5 months old out of a potential 30 year lifespan, so he's still just a widdo ting learning the ropes. (He has never bitten in the week I've had him, but eats mice and rats like he has a personal vendetta)

Added in 2 minutes 24 seconds:
Does Mushy the boopnoodle look like he'd suck your soul through your spine?

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

Am fierce snek! (says while rolled into a ball complete with tail over his eyes)
your source of self destruction

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

master_of_monsters wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:18 pm Am fierce snek! (says while rolled into a ball complete with tail over his eyes)
He even likes to cosplay the Lochness Monster when he thinks no one is around :g2k:

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Am tall now

I think the name I picked for my gecko is pretty appropriate (I named her after a dragon), because she carries this aura of "Bow to me you hairless ape!" but when I'm gaming she stares at my controller like " wot dis, am intrigue!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

master_of_monsters wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:29 am Am tall now

I think the name I picked for my gecko is pretty appropriate (I named her after a dragon), because she carries this aura of "Bow to me you hairless ape!" but when I'm gaming she stares at my controller like " wot dis, am intrigue!"
You named her after one of the MH dragons right? Awesome.

As far as her aura goes, same here lol, Mush goes from "Mushussu Fierce snek who devours on all who he considers lesser" to " ooo blenket iz warm I follow da wrinkles"
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:38 am
master_of_monsters wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:29 am Am tall now

You named her after one of the MH dragons right? Awesome.

As far as her aura goes, same here lol, Mush goes from "Mushussu Fierce snek who devours on all who he considers lesser" to " ooo blenket iz warm I follow da wrinkles"
well it was a combination of that and a lamia from a rather "cultured" anime called monster girl doctor

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Mush is totally what I'd imagine an LSD hallucinated snake would look like :lol:

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I kinda believe that fear of snakes in the west derives from the Bible. You know that snake that deceives Adam and Eve? Yeah, that’s where the fear of snakes in the west comes from IMO.
For Emperor and Empire!

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

ok first time handling Safii (my leopard gecko) she was scratching at the door of her enclosure while propped on her hind legs like she wanted to come out so I opened her door and reached my hand out. It was going fine at first but then she started to climb up my arm and onto my shoulder, tried giving her my other hand but she wasn't interested (Do I look like I need your filthy external appendages, inferior troglodyte!?) and then she climb down my back. I laid flat so she wouldn't fall off and when she was on my floor she tried to go for my entertainment center. I had to pick her up so I reached for her body but accidentally, not grabbed her tail but my fingers were around it but I pulled my hand back ASAP she picked up some speed so I reached under her with my left hand and put her back in her enclosure. I know I need to work with her more so she'll get used to me and my presence with time , but I'm worried that she's afraid of me now :cry:
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I keep a tank of Fiddler Crabs. One of them, who I thought was a female, recently molted. Turns out 'she' is a 'he'! Because they were missing their left claw before molting I had mistaken him for a female but after molting it's clear as day it's a male.

Compare with the other male crab in my tank:

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:51 am Mush is totally what I'd imagine an LSD hallucinated snake would look like :lol:

You have to stop taunting me and my inability to keep snakes! He's TOO CUTE!!!

Added in 28 seconds:
Noble Saber wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:42 pm I keep a tank of Fiddler Crabs. One of them, who I thought was a female, recently molted. Turns out 'she' is a 'he'! Because they were missing their left claw before molting I had mistaken him for a female but after molting it's clear as day it's a male.

Compare with the other male crab in my tank:

damn, didnt know these were really a thing in the pet trade. Got any care info?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:51 am Mush is totally what I'd imagine an LSD hallucinated snake would look like :lol:

He's beautiful! May I ask how common reptiles are in mainland pet stores? I've haven't seen many reptiles up close beyond geckos. The Hawaiian ecosystem is pretty much a house of cards when it comes to introduced species, so state laws are very strict on exotic pets. I'm a bit of a reptile person myself, but there aren't many options here beyond Jackson's chameleons.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I was in a pet store once and saw a large, black scorpion, so that was a thing for a while. I believe it was called an emperor scorpion.

And before anyone asks, I looked it up and small scorpions are deadly to humans, not large ones.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:49 pm

:lol: :lol: Thanks! He's such a curious lil snekeroni, always lookin around for snacks

Added in 4 minutes 47 seconds:
Andagi1 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:41 am

He's beautiful! May I ask how common reptiles are in mainland pet stores? I've haven't seen many reptiles up close beyond geckos. The Hawaiian ecosystem is pretty much a house of cards when it comes to introduced species, so state laws are very strict on exotic pets. I'm a bit of a reptile person myself, but there aren't many options here beyond Jackson's chameleons.
Thank you!! Out here in NYS the laws tend to vary, but are generally not that extreme beyond no venomous reptiles and (sadly) no monitor lizards.. Basic pet stores tend to carry various turtles/tortoises, entry-level snakes, and entry level lizards. Although there is an absolutely ridiculous bill some NY politicians are trying to pass, which would ban the importation of ALL animals. Which would in turn kill the reptile trade here.

Tons of states are attempting to nuke the reptile trade due to their misinformation, it makes me roll my eyes whenever I read a new law update. Especially from Florida.

I have heard Hawaii is the strictest live import state though, so the options there are severely limited I'm sure.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:22 am
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:49 pm

:lol: :lol: Thanks! He's such a curious lil snekeroni, always lookin around for snacks

Added in 4 minutes 47 seconds:

I have heard Hawaii is the strictest live import state though, so the options there are severely limited I'm sure.
Can confirm. The ZOO is only allowed to have 2 non-venomous snakes by law. ALL lizards and snakes are off. Shipping laws for turtles and amphibians are surprisingly lenient, though it isn't coincidence most of the legal amphibians require cooler temperatures than most of Hawaii has to be comfortable. A lot of what is made legal and non-legal are based on appearance and fear-factor, not actual logic and information.

Added in 6 minutes 46 seconds:

Check the list of banned species and allowed species, kanaka. Lots of amphibian and chelonian options (but yeah, Jackson's, anoles, and geckos are about as good as it gets reptile-wise).
https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/files/2012/12/AR-71C.pdf
List of CONDITIONALLY APPROVED animals
https://hdoa.hawaii.gov/pi/files/2012/12/AR-71P.pdf
List of PROHIBITED animals
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Here's two of one of my dogs, Mileena.

And here is my precious lil Kumonga.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I got a sand monitor. Love the little guy. I am planning for an Argus next.

Creola
Ronin

Post by Creola »

I have a dog and a cat. These are my favorite pets. I also thought to take some fish.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Found a really good deal on a Banana Calico (Possibly Yellow Belly and Enchi) Ball Python baby, and I had to snatch it up. It's my birthday gift to myself lol (April 26th).

The breeder took the third pic for me earlier today, while the first two are from the listing a few months back, super hyped! Thinking his name'll be Thor or something, I haven't decided yet. He'll be arriving on Tuesday morning!

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.