Battle for the Net

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
User avatar
godzillafan1954
Futurian
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:43 pm
Location: Confidential.
Contact:

Battle for the Net

Postby godzillafan1954 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:12 am

Hello fellow TKers. As most of you already know, the FCC is planning to kill net neutrality on the 14th of this month. What is net neutrality? Why does it matter? Net neutrality is the principle that Internet providers like Comcast & Verizon should not control what we see and do online. In 2015, startups, Internet freedom groups, and 3.7 million commenters won strong net neutrality rules from the US Federal Communication Commission (FCC). The rules prohibit Internet providers from blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization—"fast lanes" for sites that pay, and slow lanes for everyone else.

Without net neutrality
•The internet will become a closed network where •
ISPs could block any content they don't like
•Competition will be destroyed since ISPs can block any applications that compete with their products
•ISPs can split the internet into packages, so you won't be able to pay one price to access all websites

We just one more person to vote to keep net neutrality.
Ajit Pai -
Ajit.Pai@fcc.gov
Michael O'Rielly -
Mike.ORielly@fcc.gov
Brendan Carr -
Brendan.Carr@fcc.gov
Mignon Clyburn -
Mignon.Clyburn@fcc.gov
Jessica Rosenworcel -
Jessica.Rosenworcel@fcc.gov
Blow up their inboxes!

FCC: (202) 418-1000
Text RESIST to 50409

Recommended script:
I am a concerned customer from [CITY] emailing/calling to express my disapproval that the FCC is trying to kill net neutrality & the strong Title II oversight of ISPs. Preserving an open internet is crucial to free and impartial access to information.

If we don't speak up, bye bye fandoms, bye bye fanart, bye bye fanfics, bye bye memes

Saving net neutrality is of utmost importance. Together, we can do it. Make your voices heard!
I don't have a signature and I never will.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:56 am

Come on guys, let's save it!

Although, I will admit there are things on the internet that shouldn't happen.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
3000
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3544
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:50 pm

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby 3000 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:27 am

Maaaaaan, we are skreeonked.
Member of TK Since 2006

User avatar
gvamp
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5331
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby gvamp » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 pm

Good news and bad news is even if the FCC votes to dismantle it then we the Congress and the Senate can step in and stop it. So I would also suggest contacting your various state representatives as well. Even if you aren't old enough to vote but will be by the time the next elections are up I would suggest contacting them because you will have the power to let them either keep their job or lose it.

My guess is that it'll pass to get dismantled at the FCC on the 14th then that'll get stopped by either the senate, the congress or both.
optimum in mundi

User avatar
godzillafan1954
Futurian
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:43 pm
Location: Confidential.
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby godzillafan1954 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:38 pm

The "Save Net Neutrality" bill has just been introduced to Congress. Which means we have a chance to save the internet.

We can only do this if you contact your reps and support the bill.

Here's the link: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... -bill/4585
I don't have a signature and I never will.

User avatar
Showa Gyaos
Keizer
Posts: 8543
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 pm
Location: West Virginia

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Showa Gyaos » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm

godzillafan1954 wrote:The "Save Net Neutrality" bill has just been introduced to Congress. Which means we have a chance to save the internet.

We can only do this if you contact your reps and support the bill.

Here's the link: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-con ... -bill/4585

I've contacted mine. If I knew a bunch of people, I'd just have us all send a blast of calls and emails to our elected officials.

West Virginia has a poop presence at the polls, so I think about 5,000 calls and emails in favor would get one Congressman/Congresswoman's attention.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.


Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:41 pm

Well in about 8 hours everything goes kapoot.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian
Posts: 1738
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:39 pm

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby GodzillavsRayquaza » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 am

Something to note, if the FCC does vote to repeal net neutrality, it’s not the end. They’re going to have to defend it in court, the same court that was for keeping net neutrality the last two times they tried this.
Edit: Welp, they voted to repeal it. Still ain’t the end. There’s still a long road ahead, net neutrality isn’t dead yet. Congress can still stop it from getting repealed.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
King of the Monsters wrote:You guys, this Godzilla was clearly the next GINO from the point its silhouette was revealed on that poster and it wasn't just the Heisei Godzilla. Any true fan would feel the same way.


SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Man, I can't believe this series that started as a condemnation of nuclear weapons, Cold War arm races and called for humanity coming together MIGHT DARE TO BE (le gasp) political

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Zarm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 am

Here's hoping...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: キノプレックス
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Image
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

User avatar
Loganrules115
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Loganrules115 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Net neutrality is overrated. I'm quite pleased that it's gone.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

User avatar
godzillafan1954
Futurian
Posts: 1959
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:43 pm
Location: Confidential.
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby godzillafan1954 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:39 pm

Loganrules115 wrote:Net neutrality is overrated. I'm quite pleased that it's gone.

What's your IQ?
I don't have a signature and I never will.

User avatar
Leviarex
Interpol Agent
Posts: 490
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:49 pm
Location: Pellucidar by way of Gravity Falls
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Leviarex » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:11 pm

Loganrules115 wrote:Net neutrality is overrated. I'm quite pleased that it's gone.


Not yet it's not:

https://regulas314.deviantart.com/status/11734650

User avatar
LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3144
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby LamangoKaijura » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:53 am

We're all skreeonked. Lovely. It was nice knowing you all.
Image

User avatar
Loganrules115
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Loganrules115 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:59 pm

godzillafan1954 wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:Net neutrality is overrated. I'm quite pleased that it's gone.

What's your IQ?

I'm quite uncertain as to what you're trying to prove besides insulting my intelligence.
Leviarex wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:Net neutrality is overrated. I'm quite pleased that it's gone.


Not yet it's not:

https://regulas314.deviantart.com/status/11734650

Huh.
Well I hope they don't succeed.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

User avatar
gvamp
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5331
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby gvamp » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 pm

Loganrules115 wrote:Net neutrality is overrated. I'm quite pleased that it's gone.


Why do you feel this way? I mean you just can't say something like this and not give a reason unless your just trying to troll the boards.

Personally it going away is a very bad thing because ISPs now have the ability to charge us for "fast lanes". Hell Verizon is already trying to ease you into it. Look at the details of their unlimited plans which they have two of now Unlimited and Unlimited Plus its only a matter of time if this passes where they start adding in other plans too.

On a side note Anonymous is stepping in the posted a video last week saying that if this is repealed and goes through then they'll DDoS attack major ISPs, FCC and government members.
optimum in mundi

User avatar
Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:42 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Darth Kiryu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:10 am

Title II is going away, not the regulations themselves. The ISPs were already regulated to some extent before they were classified as Title II, and some commentators are saying even more regulations are on the way if the net neutrality ruling does in fact get the axe. Speculation, of course.

Good video by Esoteric Entity in opposition to net neutrality, with a link in the description to an equally-decent (albeit long) video in favor of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVVsDJUt1EM
Image
Click the image to join Kaiju Galaxy 2.0! Along with standard kaiju and tokusatsu discussion, we're a hub for fan creativity!

User avatar
Loganrules115
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Loganrules115 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:23 pm

gvamp wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:Net neutrality is overrated. I'm quite pleased that it's gone.


Why do you feel this way? I mean you just can't say something like this and not give a reason unless your just trying to troll the boards.

Personally it going away is a very bad thing because ISPs now have the ability to charge us for "fast lanes". Hell Verizon is already trying to ease you into it. Look at the details of their unlimited plans which they have two of now Unlimited and Unlimited Plus its only a matter of time if this passes where they start adding in other plans too.

On a side note Anonymous is stepping in the posted a video last week saying that if this is repealed and goes through then they'll DDoS attack major ISPs, FCC and government members.

I don't believe in regulations of the market where individuals are not being threatened. ISPs that treat their consumers fairly will get more customers and the ones that don't will lose favor, restoring similar conditions that existed while net neutrality was in place.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

User avatar
gvamp
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5331
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:54 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby gvamp » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Loganrules115 wrote:
gvamp wrote:
Loganrules115 wrote:Net neutrality is overrated. I'm quite pleased that it's gone.


Why do you feel this way? I mean you just can't say something like this and not give a reason unless your just trying to troll the boards.

Personally it going away is a very bad thing because ISPs now have the ability to charge us for "fast lanes". Hell Verizon is already trying to ease you into it. Look at the details of their unlimited plans which they have two of now Unlimited and Unlimited Plus its only a matter of time if this passes where they start adding in other plans too.

On a side note Anonymous is stepping in the posted a video last week saying that if this is repealed and goes through then they'll DDoS attack major ISPs, FCC and government members.

I don't believe in regulations of the market where individuals are not being threatened. ISPs that treat their consumers fairly will get more customers and the ones that don't will lose favor, restoring similar conditions that existed while net neutrality was in place.


Except they did. Look it up part of the reason net neutrality was established in the first place is because certain ISPs where throttling content. An example I'll give you is Comcast which has a major stake in Hulu. They slowed down Netflix for their users because of it.
optimum in mundi

User avatar
Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 923
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:42 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Battle for the Net

Postby Darth Kiryu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:21 pm

gvamp wrote:Except they did. Look it up part of the reason net neutrality was established in the first place is because certain ISPs where throttling content. An example I'll give you is Comcast which has a major stake in Hulu. They slowed down Netflix for their users because of it.

And Netflix has their own speed test site now. If Comcast still wants to play dirty, all their customers who use both Hulu and Netflix will know.

Personally, I'd prefer the government to force competition between the cable ISPs. Dish and DirecTV are playing nice on the satellite internet side, but they're unpopular with certain people because of TV bundling. When I was still with my parents, we switched from Charter to Dish for a while, and even though I thought it was fine, using the internet more than TV, my dad complained every time there was bad weather and the TV lost signal.

And yes, sadly a lot of people bundle for the fabled and very dubious "best deal."

Hell, even mobile carriers are playing nice on the competition front. But ISPs like Charter, Comcast, and the like have teamed up to create the illusion of competition. In my hometown and surrounding area, Charter was the only cable ISP. Next couple counties east of me was controlled by Comcast. There's no choice with the cable ISPs, and that's a serious problem.

Ultimately, I'm a fence-sitter. Startup ISPs could be hindered by net neutrality (regulations more or less cost more money to make sure you keep in lock step). But the big corporations can and will screw their customer bases over and get away with it without net neutrality.
Image
Click the image to join Kaiju Galaxy 2.0! Along with standard kaiju and tokusatsu discussion, we're a hub for fan creativity!


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests