Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Monster X »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:On top of preferring the 90's mini-series of It. I think Tim Curry Pennywise is better the better Pennywise.

IMO what makes Tim Curry Pennywise memorable and better is the fact he looks so friendly makes him scarier since it'd be too late until you least expect it whereas this Pennywise I feel they made too scary looking to the point kids would avoid him turning the other away realistically and he also really didn't need the buck teeth...
I half agree with this as I feel both bill and tim are really good.

To give a little context first. I do not view Pennywise and IT the same character, performance wise. Pennywise, from my perspective, is IT’s favourite persona to take on. A persona is pretence, an act. For example I dressed up as Micheal Myers for a Halloween party last year and decided to spend the whole night in character. I didn’t speak and did my best to alter my movements so it didn’t feel like me. Really freaked everyone out btw. Well that’s what IT dose as Pennywise, IT’s playing around as well as trying to get IT’s next meal. What makes me think this is that in the novel IT’s entire character will alter to fit the form IT takes, such as when IT is the Wolfman or Frankenstein’s Monster. IT likely loves being a clown due to the duality of the joy and fear they bring, making it a perfect form for hunting children.

So on that note. I feel Tim is the better Pennywise but Bill is the better IT, as he better captures the otherworldlnuss of the character, but feels less approachable the Tim’s version.
Last edited by Monster X on Fri May 10, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

I'm usually an optimistic person, but man is it hard to stay like that when people know climate change is gonna lead to havoc real soon and people insist on sidelining the issue, letting the next generation do the work, or just dismissing it entirely. I despise the apathy around it, but sometimes I embrace climate change because certain factions of people deserve whatever troubles are yet to come. Sometimes I feel like living the one life we have with only a care for our immediate family, or even selfishly, is the best way we can treat ourselves at a time where there's an ever increasing love for anti-intellectualism, conspiracy theories, tribalism, etc. I hate the attitudes I get sometimes, I plan to do whatever I can for the sake of leaving a better climate for the next generations, but I'm fully prepared to try to turn a blind eye once things get really dour.
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Fri May 10, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:I'm usually an optimistic person, but man is it hard to stay like that when people know climate change is gonna lead to havoc real soon and people insist on sidelining the issue, letting the next generation do the work, or just dismissing it entirely. I despise the apathy around it, but sometimes I embrace climate change because certain factions of people deserve whatever troubles are yet to come. Sometimes I feel like living the one life we have with only a care for our immediate family, or even selfishly, is the best way we can treat ourselves at a time where there's an ever increasing love for anti-intellectualism, conspiracy theories, tribalism, etc. I hate the attitudes I get sometimes, I plan to do whatever I can for the sake of leaving a better climate for the next generations, but I'm fully prepared to try to turn a blind eye once things get really dour.
The real depressing part for me is that when it's all over and done with, and if the human race makes it that far as we are now, will we have learned anything or still be the arrogent, know it all monkeys we are now?

Added in 19 hours 28 minutes 20 seconds:
I like Predator 2 more then Predator.

The films cinematography and urban setting are more appealing to me.

It's soundtrack may be one of my faviorts out of any film.

The above to points give the film a much heavier atmosphere then the first, tens and on edge. Rather fitting for a film where people are being stalked by a predator. This also makes the films genuinely scarier in my opinion.

While the cast is undeniable a bit weaker then the firsts, they all give dame good perormances. I think maybe the issue is that it relys a little to much on it's audiance being familiar with the cop movie style that were prevelent at the time it was made and got a bit lazy with the character development.

The City Hunter is by far my faviort Predator in terms of design and personality. It's more agnuler mask, new and from then on iconic weapons as well as the design of it's head are spectacular. The only real weak point being th eyes, in close up shots as they seem less life like. City Hunter also comes of as a nastier piece of work then the Jungle Hunter, as it not only hunts the characters but actively works to torment it's prey like a serial killer.
Last edited by Monster X on Sat May 11, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Monster X wrote: I like Predator 2 more the Predator.
Dosn't everyone hate The Predator, though?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Related above I love Predator 2 just as much as the first. Highly underrated.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Monster X wrote: I like Predator 2 more the Predator.
Dosn't everyone hate The Predator, though?
I missed the "N" in then, sorry. Secondly yes they did, dare say I rate it lower then every Alien and Predator film bare the AVP films.
Last edited by Monster X on Sat May 11, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I just can't agree on Predator 2's locale being more atmospheric than the first's. A heavily populated metro area just doesn't have that same level of dread and claustrophobia that the first film's jungle setting had. I'd be far more terrified of being stalked by the Predator in a foreign rainforest than in a big city.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat May 11, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

As far as I'm concerned the newest film was nothing more but an parody and not a Predator film at all.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:As far as I'm concerned the newest film was nothing more but an parody and not a Predator film at all.
I don't think ANYONE liked that pile of garbage.

I think I'd rather watch Alien 3 and 4 back to back on repeat for an entire day than see The Predator again.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

UltramanGoji wrote:I just can't agree on Predator 2's locale being more atmospheric than the first's. A heavily populated metro area just doesn't have that same level of dread and claustrophobia that the first film's jungle setting had. I'd be far more terrified of being stalked by the Predator in a foreign rainforest than in a big city.
Fair enough, I think that it comes down to my personal preference. I just find the idea of something treating a human city, a place that man is ment to be master (relatively speaking), as just another hunting ground to be more scary. It destroys that sense of control we have in an urban environment.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:As far as I'm concerned the newest film was nothing more but an parody and not a Predator film at all.
You know I was willing to give it a chance... right up until the Predator used a guys hand to give a thumbs up. Any immerstion I had in the film evaperated right then and there.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Monster X wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I just can't agree on Predator 2's locale being more atmospheric than the first's. A heavily populated metro area just doesn't have that same level of dread and claustrophobia that the first film's jungle setting had. I'd be far more terrified of being stalked by the Predator in a foreign rainforest than in a big city.
Fair enough, I think that it comes down to my personal preference. I just find the idea of something treating a human city, a place that man is ment to be master (relatively speaking), as just another hunting ground to be more scary. It destroys that sense of control we have in an urban environment.
That's a great way of putting it. I can definitely say that, looking at them separately and not comparing them, they both have stand-out ideas and their environments work in different ways. I like Predator 2 a lot as well. It's a great 90's action film.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I don't think ANYONE liked that pile of garbage.

I think I'd rather watch Alien 3 and 4 back to back on repeat for an entire day than see The Predator again.
I know that. I was just mentioning it since the movie was being brought up.

And yes as much as I hate to admit it. I too would rather watch those two films then that mockery ever again.
Monster X wrote:You know I was willing to give it a chance... right up until the Predator used a guys hand to give a thumbs up. Any immerstion I had in the film evaperated right then and there.
As soon as I saw that part. I knew from then on this movie was gonna be bad...-_-

Predator is not suppose to be a comedy! :evil:

And before people brings up other movies. There's a difference between levity and forced cringey humor. Predator 1 & 2 had the former. Hope to skreeonking god no more Predator films get made. Keep the franchise ended as it is alongside Alien and countless others like Terminator and slasher films (Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc.).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat May 11, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

And yes as much as I hate to admit it. I too would rather watch those two films then that mockery ever again.
What if you had to choose between Prometheus/Alien: Covenant or The Predator (2018)?
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Sat May 11, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MikeSTZillak wrote:What if you had to choose between Prometheus/Alien: Covenant or The Predator (2018)?
Hate to say it again but Prometheus/Alien: Covenant. For as awful and unnecessary those films were at least they weren't treated like parodies.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:What if you had to choose between Prometheus/Alien: Covenant or The Predator (2018)?
Hate to say it again but Prometheus/Alien: Covenant. For as awful and unnecessary those films were at least they weren't treated like parodies.
They also have redeeming qualities that The Predator does not. Decent scenes, good ideas, some good characters. And unlike The Predator they're not sexist either. That bedroom scene really bothered me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Kaiju-King42 wrote:They also have redeeming qualities that The Predator does not. Decent scenes, good ideas, some good characters. And unlike The Predator they're not sexist either. That bedroom scene really bothered me.
Agree on the first two but not the third. Characters were stupid who constantly died of stupidity with an ending straight out from a slasher film...-_-

At least IMO that is.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

What if you had to choose between Prometheus/Alien: Covenant or The Predator (2018)?
I was gonna do a full peice to compare the films but I think there's a major factor that really sets them apart so I'll cut strait to that.

The Predator did something that a franchise based around a singular character should never do, it made a joke of them. Both in how the Predator acted and by having it get decimated by Ultimate, Generic, Predator. The second you do that, you've offical tanked your film. Be that character a hero, villain or monster, your audience likes that character, thats why they are there after all. You make a joke of that character, well you might as well be mocking the people your trying to sell the movie to.

I've only ever seen this done one other time and that was Halloween Resurrection, to similarly disastrous results. Case in point...

Last edited by Monster X on Sat May 11, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:On top of preferring the 90's mini-series of It. I think Tim Curry Pennywise is the better Pennywise.

IMO what makes Tim Curry Pennywise memorable and better is the fact he looks so friendly makes him scarier since it'd be too late until you least expect it whereas this Pennywise I feel they made too scary looking to the point kids would avoid him turning the other away realistically and he also really didn't need the buck teeth...
Assuming you're a fan and haven't been bothered by the whole Change The Channel debacle that came up last year, you might like the Nostalgia Critic review of 'IT' (2017):

Last edited by Leviarex on Sat May 11, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

I don't think that characters being stupid/making bad decisions is that valid of a complaint. Mistakes make us human, and a story where everybody does everything right and nothing goes wrong isn't really that interesting.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KillCrites wrote:I don't think that characters being stupid/making bad decisions is that valid of a complaint. Mistakes make us human, and a story where everybody does everything right and nothing goes wrong isn't really that interesting.
Yeah, characters making bad decisions is actually a pretty important component of storytelling. If the characters literally always make the best possible choices, then you either have a flat narrative in which nothing goes wrong, or a totally fatalistic one in which the characters' actions don't matter, because outcomes are fated.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.