Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by mikelcho »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:21 pm I’m more worried about the US these days than I am about China.
I'm not one bit worried. We've faced bigger odds than this as a nation before and we've always come out on top in the end. Our way of life may not be perfect, but it works and works exceedingly well. Everyone in the world knows that, whether they want to admit or not, even to themselves.

Always remember, T. T. S. P. (This, Too, Shall Pass). It always has, it always does, and it always will, no matter anyone thinks, says, or does.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:00 pm Our way of life may not be perfect, but it works and works exceedingly well.
No the fuck it does not.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:21 pm I’m more worried about the US these days than I am about China.
Easy for you to say. Now, I’m gonna rant for a second and this won’t be directed towards any one person, but rather a mindset. Sorry for quoting you here, if it seems like it’s towards you. It really isn’t.

Most of you Americans always whine about your internal issues and that just goes to show how privileged you are to live an ocean away from any threat. We and all the other countries in the East Pacific have a massive threat right on our doorstep and you don’t hear us constantly bitch and moan about it.

You take what you have for granted and worry about things that in the big picture don’t hold a candle to the existential threat that millions face across Asia and the Pacific. Not just the China situation, but also across the Middle East, and Africa. Bloody civil wars and terrorism hold those nations in a tight grip, along with dictators and complete control of citizen’s lives.

It always pains me when I see westerners complain about how their country is “horrible” or “sooo bad” when they could be embroiled in a civil war, have a totalitarian regime rule over them, or be under brutal foreign oppression.

Billions would scoff at this mindset.
Last edited by Voyager on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:54 pm
mikelcho wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:00 pm Our way of life may not be perfect, but it works and works exceedingly well.
No the skreeonk it does not.
Then why, may I ask, do people from other countries all over the world want to come here to live and not anywhere else on the planet? Why are we still considered by many of the people of these countries to still be "the land of the free and the home of the brave"? I don't see or hear of anyone from those same countries wanting to live in, say, China, North Korea, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam, for example, because they know they'll have no basic freedoms at all if they do. The U.S. as a nation has had a reputation that's preceded us right from the beginning.

I will admit, however, that our current governmental system as it is today is hardly above reproach, but the fact remains that there's nothing left to replace it. The alternatives are either chaos and anarchy or a totalitarian dictatorship. Be thankful we don't have either of those.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:25 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:54 pm
No the skreeonk it does not.
Then why, may I ask, do people from other countries want to come here to live and not anywhere else on the planet? Why are we still considered by many of the people of these countries to still be "the land of the free and the home of the brave"? I don't see or hear of anyone from those countries wanting to live in, say, China, North Korea, Cambodia, Laos, or Vietnam, for example, because they know they'll have no basic freedoms at all if they do. We as a nation have had a reputation that's preceded us right from the beginning.

I will admit our current governmental system as it is today is hardly above reproach, but the fact remains that there's nothing left to replace it. The alternative is chaos and anarchy.
I think it’s because some people just want America to be a spotless, clean country with nothing wrong with it. A silly, hopeless and unrealistic dream. No country in history has been perfect, and these people want to create a stainless society.

It reminds me of a video I saw about why the Left and Right hate each other, and it all comes down to worldview. The left views humanity as inherently perfect and that we just need to cleanse ourselves, while the right believes that the world is in a constant struggle between good and evil, and that we need to constantly fight the evil.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:03 pm Most of you Americans always whine about your internal issues and that just goes to show how privileged you are to live an ocean away from any threat. We and all the other countries in the East Pacific have a massive threat right on our doorstep and you don’t hear us constantly female dog and moan about it.
You're not wrong here, Americans have no clue what a real threat is like. I certainly don't, and I'm grateful for that. It should be noted, though, that you guys have no real need to complain your existential threat. If it wants to get to you, it has to go through us first. And everyone involved knows it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:32 pm
Voyager wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:03 pm Most of you Americans always whine about your internal issues and that just goes to show how privileged you are to live an ocean away from any threat. We and all the other countries in the East Pacific have a massive threat right on our doorstep and you don’t hear us constantly female dog and moan about it.
You're not wrong here, Americans have no clue what a real threat is like. I certainly don't, and I'm grateful for that. It should be noted, though, that you guys have no real need to complain your existential threat. If it wants to get to you, it has to go through us first. And everyone involved knows it.
There’s also a loss in faith in America. I can’t speak for everyone, but America’s kind of been a laughing stock in the international community. Between two terrible presidents you’ve had since 2017, the loss in Afghanistan, and the downright laughable “issues” plaguing US society, the country’s reputation isn’t the same as it once was.

The defender of freedom and liberty has been growing weak and divided while our main adversary is only getting stronger and more determined by the day.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 pm There’s also a loss in faith in America. I can’t speak for everyone, but America’s kind of been a laughing stock in the international community. Between two terrible presidents you’ve had since 2017, the loss in Afghanistan, and the downright laughable “issues” plaguing US society, the country’s reputation isn’t the same as it once was.

The defender of freedom and liberty has been growing weak and divided while our main adversary is only getting stronger and more determined by the day.
Voyager, I understand you're in your edgy "Anti-American" phase, but have you ever been to the United States? While obviously thoughout American history many injustices have been committed, there's a lot to love and respect about the United States. Sure, politics aren'r so great in America right now, but politics are never great. Right now across the board the world is filled with tyrannical and inept idiots. The United States isn't unique in that regard, and hasn't been for a loooong time. While there's problems with America, realize that you might live in a glass house.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Voyager wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:47 pm the downright laughable “issues” plaguing US society
Oh yeah me and a bunch of people my age possibly never getting the chance to own our own home because of an ongoing housing crisis and having to pay out of pocket for ridiculously expensive life-saving medications on wages that don't even begin to cover the cost of rent is being "privileged" alright. Yeah, the fact that some of my friends rights are at the cusp of being taken away by a corporation-bought justice system for political points is just them being "whiny". Or that some others can't even walk down their own street without constantly looking over their shoulder for someone who might shoot them just because of their skin color. Yeah, no that's just them bitching.

The only thing laughable here is an 18-year old Australian kid trying to belittle the problems of people living some place he doesn't. Who do you honestly think you are?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

“Edgy Anti American Phase”. Just wow. Having issues with a mindset is somehow advocating against an entire country of 330 Million?

First of all, I do not hate America. I love America, I love Americans, I love everything great America has done for the world. But it’s the Americentrists completely forgetting that other people have bigger issues than they do that gets on my nerves. It’s like, mind boggling. Now, I’m not saying we completely ignore internal issues, of course. There is real inequality in America that needs to be addressed and dealt with, and there is nothing wrong with that. But it gets insufferable when things like that get held above issues that have weight on an international stage. (BLM is not one of these things that get insufferable. Cop violence is a horrible tumour on the American government.)

Take Dave Chapelle for instance. That was blown up across the states as some huge deal, when in reality, it’s just some dude who made jokes people didn’t like. Doesn’t that sound at least a bit petty? They’re just jokes, and jokes aren’t to be taken seriously.

No point taking this further. As I’ve witnessed, arguing with mods is never a good idea because someone’s going to get punished either way. Just take this into consideration. Do arguments about fatphobia or pronouns hold any weight against violent wars and genocide?
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Agreed that this discussion at the very least needs to take some deep breaths and calm down, but just to bring things full circle, you said in your opening post that America needs to stop policing the world. Now you want us to worry about the wars and genocide? If we're not meant to intervene in them (and we clearly aren't), what are we supposed to do other than shake our heads and comment on how terrible those tragedies are, then focus on our own problems here at home?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 pm Agreed that this discussion at the very least needs to take some deep breaths and calm down, but just to bring things full circle, you said in your opening post that America needs to stop policing the world. Now you want us to worry about the wars and genocide? If we're not meant to intervene in them (and we clearly aren't), what are we supposed to do other than shake our heads and comment on how terrible those tragedies are, then focus on our own problems here at home?
Stop policing the world doesn’t mean straight up ignoring the murder of thousands and even millions. Stop policing the world means stop worrying about every uprising in Somalia, Iraq, etc. You think that I would be for ignoring the holocaust? Yeah no.

I was using war and genocide as an example to show how lucky you Americans are. You have never once in your history been directly threatened with occupation since 1812. What Mikelcho and I wanted to stress is that despite the social issues in American society, you guys are still among the luckiest in the world, and that you shouldn’t take it for granted.

My goal was to show the Americans how lucky they are. And I guess some took it badly, half on my part due to probable bad wording. Not to mention how sensitive people around here can be.

Point is, America lucky, others not so much. Be grateful for what you have, as most aren’t so lucky.

I’m sorry, LSD and UG. If I upset you I really am sorry. It’s a sensitive subject and I didn’t handle it in the best way.
For Emperor and Empire!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Voyager wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:50 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:37 pm Stop policing the world doesn’t mean straight up ignoring the murder of thousands and even millions. Stop policing the world means stop worrying about every uprising in Somalia, Iraq, etc. You think that I would be for ignoring the holocaust? Yeah no.

I was using war and genocide as an example to show how lucky you Americans are. You have never once in your history been directly threatened with occupation since 1812. What Mikelcho and I wanted to stress is that despite the social issues in American society, you guys are still among the luckiest in the world, and that you shouldn’t take it for granted.

My goal was to show the Americans how lucky they are. And I guess some took it badly, half on my part due to probable bad wording. Not to mention how sensitive people around here can be.

Point is, America lucky, others not so much. Be grateful for what you have, as most aren’t so lucky.

I’m sorry, LSD and UG. If I upset you I really am sorry. It’s a sensitive subject and I didn’t handle it in the best way.

So... we should ignore violence in Somalia and Iraq in favor of focusing on violence somewhere else? Where? Why?

And yes, to reiterate, we are lucky over here. Our country is facing all kinds of social problems, but we can at least say that we have a fortress all but impossible for foreign enemies to invade, at least for the foreseeable future. That much we probably all agree on. But again, so do you. Whether we're over here complaining about fat pronouns or not, China ain't invading Australia until it gets through a wall of big fucking American aircraft carriers. You're safe. The only thing you have to fear is emus themselves.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:50 pmI was using war and genocide as an example to show how lucky you Americans are. You have never once in your history been directly threatened with occupation since 1812. What Mikelcho and I wanted to stress is that despite the social issues in American society, you guys are still among the luckiest in the world, and that you shouldn’t take it for granted.
While it’s true that many people in the United States have it better than many others throughout the world, the way you generalize Americans, American history, and people at large, sort of shows the issue here. You mention that America has never once been threatened with occupation, and while that’s certainly true for the country, it ignores that many people have been occupied INTO America. Indigenous peoples and African slaves are clear examples, but even past your point of 1812 has numerous examples of negotiating land and American identity. For example, the war with Mexico, lots of stuff with Pacific Islanders (Marshall Islands!), The Caribbean etc…

It’s true that some Americans live much more luxurious lives than those throughout the world, but the issue is that you’re conflating the United States as a country, with the issues that American people face.
My goal was to show the Americans how lucky they are
This right here is the problem. It’s not the ideas that are necessarily wrong/not worth exploring but it’s the smarminess at play. I agree that some Americans are very lucky, but it’s bizarre to me why you decided to wake up today and decide it was your duty to tell Americans how lucky they are. Setting a reductive standard that people should just be happy because they’re not continually being genocided is pretty foul.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Well, American history isn’t my strong suit, that’d be European history.

And uhh, LSD. Wouldn’t any day be a bizarre day to wake up? If I did it yesterday, or tomorrow, or in 187 days, would it be as bizarre? I don’t know, this just bugged me :shrug:

Anyway, I just felt like getting it out today because I’ve started to become more critical of things. I try to get people to feel good about themselves and their situation to a detrimental point where I ignore an underlying issue. I guess that manifested today as my ignorance regarding the housing crisis.

Ah well, no country is faultless. In fact, mine’s pretty damn bad. Bush wars against the indigenous, the stolen generation (indigenous kids torn away from family and raised by white Europeans), destruction of sacred sites, forceful pushing of Christianity, utter disregard for an environmental reset system that prevents large bushfires, and just generally having a similar history to Canada and America in a way.

As I said before, while we certainly shouldn’t condone these things, having a perfect society is unrealistic.

I think it’s best we put out heated debate to rest now. It was just a dark blip, and no harm done.
Last edited by Voyager on Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Oops, think I started some shit in here by accident...

Sorry mods. :lol:

To explain my earlier post, and not trying to start arguments here: I'm just scared about the rise of facism in America. January 6th 2021 was shocking, and I'm worried about future elections and presidencies now. And I live right next door to America. If that country goes full authoritarian, what could happen to me and my country?

That's why the US scares me more than China does lately. That's all. Didn't mean to start an argument here.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I dont need some 18 year old in Australia going on about how "lucky" Americans should feel.

People in this country can't even come together to stop the spread of a deadly virus. Almost two years later and we're no better than we were in March of 2020. Other developed countries figured out what to do, yet we live in a country where people scream at others for wearing a damn mask.

We have shipping shortages, a housing crisis, people aren't paid what they deserve, health care is a freaking joke, public education is a disaster, we're under the rule of the 1% who couldn't care less if we live or die. This country is rightfully a laughing stock right now. A former president motivated a full blown attack on democracy that he's not being punished for. I could go on...
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

MrGameguy
EDF Instructor

Post by MrGameguy »

I came here for unpopular opinions and it's just people poorly discussing politics.

Now I remember why I don't come here anymore.
Last edited by MrGameguy on Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Originally known as TourettesGigan.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The Matrix: Resurrections was pretty damn good.

Peacemaker is better so far than either of the GotG or The Suicide Squad.

3.0+1.0 retroactively made the Rebuild series better and is a much more mature ending than NGE had.

I love pineapple on pizza.

I think we need more empathy in the world.

Bill Murray is to Garfield as Heath Ledger was to the Joker.

Are we back on topic now?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.