Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Anguirus »

I love the 1994 Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. One of my favorite films, for how creepy it is. Plus I love Frankenstein movies.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rurouni Senator wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 pm I love some of Christopher Nolan's marginalized movies; (e.g.) Interstellar, but I have a strong level of dislike for Tenet that left me so confused because it's not good and makes little to no sense.

Also; I like the ultimate cut of Blade Runner, but hated BR 2049 and compare it to Quantum of Solace in logic at some scenes, I even like that messy Bond movie notably more than BR2049.

If you want to argue with the semantics of what defines anime; Double Dragon and Mortal Kombat cartoons are anime. :p
Wait wait wait - Double Dragon had a cartoon too? I just found out it had a movie! That game must've been a lot more popular back in the day than I thought...

Unpopular opinion - The live action Super Mario Bros. movie is good fun.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm
Rurouni Senator wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:02 pm I love some of Christopher Nolan's marginalized movies; (e.g.) Interstellar, but I have a strong level of dislike for Tenet that left me so confused because it's not good and makes little to no sense.

Also; I like the ultimate cut of Blade Runner, but hated BR 2049 and compare it to Quantum of Solace in logic at some scenes, I even like that messy Bond movie notably more than BR2049.

If you want to argue with the semantics of what defines anime; Double Dragon and Mortal Kombat cartoons are anime. :p
Wait wait wait - Double Dragon had a cartoon too? I just found out it had a movie! That game must've been a lot more popular back in the day than I thought...

Unpopular opinion - The live action Super Mario Bros. movie is good fun.
Double Dragon sucked fir a movie but I spent hours playing the damn game and arcade.

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:10 pm Wait wait wait - Double Dragon had a cartoon too? I just found out it had a movie! That game must've been a lot more popular back in the day than I thought...
Yeah, and all episodes are fully available on Youtube right now.
They turned the twins to masked superheroes with secret identities.
goji89 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:58 pmDouble Dragon sucked fir a movie but I spent hours playing the damn game and arcade.
I used to hate it, but one time in 2014 I liked it and haven't seen it again since.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I know the game has gotten a lot of flack over the years and generally considered a terrible game but I really enjoy Beast Wrestler for Sega Genesis. It's a giant monster wrestling game (duh). I just got a lot of nostalgia for it plus recently found out all the monsters were designed by Shinji Nishikawa, so that's cool. Its kinda hard and some of the character special attacks don't always work but I still can't help but like it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rurouni Senator
Yojimbo

Post by Rurouni Senator »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:03 am I know the game has gotten a lot of flack over the years and generally considered a terrible game but I really enjoy Beast Wrestler for Sega Genesis. It's a giant monster wrestling game (duh). I just got a lot of nostalgia for it plus recently found out all the monsters were designed by Shinji Nishikawa, so that's cool. Its kinda hard and some of the character special attacks don't always work but I still can't help but like it.
I might have tried it before but completely forgot about it, I'll try to play it now.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I think the Godzilla fandom should separate from the. general Monsterverse fandom there's so much toxicity over who better Godzilla or Kong that is really depresses me I'm starting too wish that Legendary just stuck with a Godzilla trilogy and keep Kong Skull Island separate. I remember how I felt when they first announced this shared universe and I was preferring that they keep separate and now after all these years I was right to feel that way. Then you have a subset of Godzilla fans who excuse the Monsterverse humans by claiming that the Godzilla films never had deep human character when I'm literally trying to get naysayers to understand are viewpoint and realize that this franchise as more depth then people give it credit for. The Monsterverse has truly damaged my love for the fandom similar to my experience with DC and Marvel such a shame.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:39 am I think the Godzilla fandom should separate from the. general Monsterverse fandom there's so much toxicity over who better Godzilla or Kong that is really depresses me I'm starting too wish that Legendary just stuck with a Godzilla trilogy and keep Kong Skull Island separate. I remember how I felt when they first announced this shared universe and I was preferring that they keep separate and now after all these years I was right to feel that way. Then you have a subset of Godzilla fans who excuse the Monsterverse humans by claiming that the Godzilla films never had deep human character when I'm literally trying to get naysayers to understand are viewpoint and realize that this franchise as more depth then people give it credit for. The Monsterverse has truly damaged my love for the fandom similar to my experience with DC and Marvel such a shame.
I mean, I've been a kaiju fan for nearly 20 years and never gave a shit about the humans. I personally found myself relating to the monsters more anyway
your source of self destruction

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

master_of_monsters wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:55 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:39 am I think the Godzilla fandom should separate from the. general Monsterverse fandom there's so much toxicity over who better Godzilla or Kong that is really depresses me I'm starting too wish that Legendary just stuck with a Godzilla trilogy and keep Kong Skull Island separate. I remember how I felt when they first announced this shared universe and I was preferring that they keep separate and now after all these years I was right to feel that way. Then you have a subset of Godzilla fans who excuse the Monsterverse humans by claiming that the Godzilla films never had deep human character when I'm literally trying to get naysayers to understand are viewpoint and realize that this franchise as more depth then people give it credit for. The Monsterverse has truly damaged my love for the fandom similar to my experience with DC and Marvel such a shame.
I mean, I've been a kaiju fan for nearly 20 years and never gave a poop about the humans. I personally found myself relating to the monsters more anyway
That's fine I get there are many who feel that I'm just refering to the people I dealt with yesterday on Youtube

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:57 pm
master_of_monsters wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:55 pm
I mean, I've been a kaiju fan for nearly 20 years and never gave a poop about the humans. I personally found myself relating to the monsters more anyway
That's fine I get there are many who feel that I'm just refering to the people I dealt with yesterday on Youtube
yeah it is pretty annoying, to be real with you. some of the stuff I've read gives me a peptic ulcer
your source of self destruction

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:39 am I think the Godzilla fandom should separate from the. general Monsterverse fandom there's so much toxicity over who better Godzilla or Kong that is really depresses me I'm starting too wish that Legendary just stuck with a Godzilla trilogy and keep Kong Skull Island separate. I remember how I felt when they first announced this shared universe and I was preferring that they keep separate and now after all these years I was right to feel that way.
I liked Godzilla vs. Kong a lot, and I'm glad we got it. I liked the movie on it's own and in a bubble. The fandom surrounding is definitely toxic, and a lot of people suddenly hate me because I merely posted a poll of who won, just for having the mere audacity to suggest that people might have interpreted the ending differently. The Monsterverse crowd is filled with people who need others to conform to their own preconceived beliefs and any actual discussion on parts of the films are meat with extreme hostility. I'm immune to really caring, due in part to how long I've been a part of the fandom at this point, and my own hands-on experience with some of the Godzilla-media, but I can see how others can easily get worn down.
Then you have a subset of Godzilla fans who excuse the Monsterverse humans by claiming that the Godzilla films never had deep human character when I'm literally trying to get naysayers to understand are viewpoint and realize that this franchise as more depth then people give it credit for. The Monsterverse has truly damaged my love for the fandom similar to my experience with DC and Marvel such a shame.
Yeah, I see this outright wrong cliche uttered over and over again, and it deeply disheartens me. I unfortunately get the impression from this that people are repeatedly told "don't care about the humans" and as a result do not care or give any attention to some of the wonderful casting and human stories throughout the Godzilla franchise. It's almost negative confirmation bias. I'm not sure if you saw this, but recently there was the ending theme to Godzilla SP aired. The ending was filled with Easter eggs to past Godzilla series, and you see a plethora of memorable characters. The Godzilla franchise has always had solid characters.

Not to gatekeep, but there's definitely a side of the Monsterverse fandom who has little regard for the Japanese series. Notice how many people were discussing rumors and theories on Godzilla vs. Kong, but placed little to no interest in Godzilla SP. Minus some discussions of monster redesigns, most of the conversation surrounding that new anime has been relatively chill. I'm sort of relieved that the toxicity hasn't spread into the discussion of the Japanese films and the ongoing anime. I'm happy if more people walk out of Godzilla vs. Kong a Godzilla fan, but I just hope a lot of them can go back and see what was so great about many of the original Japanese films, and not have to be forced into explaining these films with caveats such as "rubber suits", or disclaimers, "they're cheesy as hell but...".

Just keep enjoying Godzilla, old, recent, Toho or Monsterverse for yourself and I think you'll have a better time. ;)
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ This. This is exactly how I feel on the matter.
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Unpopular opinion - Black Panther should have been recast after Boseman's death.
All fandoms are horrid, horrible, toxic little things. Just find one safe-ish place to discuss the things you like, like this site, and then never read anything from the wider outside fandom ever again. It isn't just Godzilla or MonsterVerse. For some reason the internet just nurtures the worst in some people, and trolls breed in fandoms like little Gremlins tossed in an ocean. There's nothing like a fandom to make a fan feel horrible about the things they love.

But you shouldn't shape your views on how these films should be based on that I don't think.

Also: First rule of Youtube is never read the comments on Youtube.

Added in 8 minutes 33 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:12 amJust keep enjoying Godzilla, old, recent, Toho or Monsterverse for yourself and I think you'll have a better time. ;)
I think this is the most true thing on this site I've ever read. I love Showa, Heisei, Millenium, MonsterVerse, Shin, the anime trilogy (well, "mostly like"), and am amped to watch SP, and am excited to find out what comes next.
Last edited by Vakanai on Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Thank everyone for the responses I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who ever felt that way and like I said my breakdown was really due to several people on YouTube and Reddit that believed that this film is only sucessful because Kong was in it and if it was a straight Godzilla film it would've flop which ignored that G14 was a box office and still has the highest domestic opening and total than K:SI they just kept bringing up that KOTM flopped and then it lead to the other things I said earlier. It disheartened me because this should be a time for all of us to celebrate and GvK is excceding expectations and I personally loved it considering I was slightly letdown by G14 and enjoyed K:SI and severely disappointed in KOTM. I'm not sure how I still feel about feel about separating the general Monsterverse fandom which I'm mostly refering to the fans who have only seen or loved the Americans films but have little respect for the Toho film's yet act like major fans and the rest of the Godzilla fandom. I am better today I am remembering my overall positive experiences with both fandoms got someone to consider watching KOTM for the first time last week just before GvK so the majority of my experience has been positive and good natured fun.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:12 am and a lot of people suddenly hate me because I merely posted a poll of who won, just for having the mere audacity to suggest that people might have interpreted the ending differently. The Monsterverse crowd is filled with people who need others to conform to their own preconceived beliefs and any actual discussion on parts of the films are meat with extreme hostility.
I’m one of the ones who doesn’t really understand the purpose of that thread, but I certainly don’t hate you for making it. :| Of course, I can’t speak for everyone.
Notice how many people were discussing rumors and theories on Godzilla vs. Kong, but placed little to no interest in Godzilla SP.
Discussing Godzilla SP is how I got a mod, who shall remain unnamed, to vocally hate me to the point of ranting about me in the staff discord group (yeah, I know about that.) All because I didn’t like some of the designs.

Forgive me, but I’m not exactly eager to post in that thread after that. While we’re speaking of “toxic fandoms”...
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:27 amDiscussing Godzilla SP is how I got a mod, who shall remain unnamed, to vocally hate me to the point of ranting about me in the staff discord group (yeah, I know about that.) All because I didn’t like some of the designs.

Forgive me, but I’m not exactly eager to post in that thread after that. While we’re speaking of “toxic fandoms”...
I'll send you a pm regarding that, but, also to just lay some dirty laundry out:

Yes, it can get very irritating when someone repeatedly posts they don't like something. I understand and get that you don't like it, and that's totally cool. However, it's extra annoying reading peoples negative opinion on things when it's based off of a brief glimpse and of something out of context. I remember when people were (Godzilla vs. Kong spoilers ahead):
Spoiler:
reading leaks how MG was defeated. A lot of people put too much emphasis on the flask and outright hated the film based on that. Sure enough, people are still annoyed, but not as much as in context it's handled a bit differently.
Very, very, mild spoilers for Godzilla SP ahoy, but:
Spoiler:
SP Manda appears in the very last frame of Godzilla SP Ending. He looks a lot better and more traditional based on Manda. Additionally, as someone that has seen both two episodes of Godzilla SP, it's really annoying when people are hating on the animation, when the animation is some of the best I've seen in anime in a while. Based on Rodan and JJ in the second episode, the series has a fantastic animation team and a lot of thought and effort going into it.
If you don't want to read those spoilers, my overarching point is that it is a bit tiresome to have to read or react to negatively, especially when one hasn't engaged with those mediums prior. Bear in mind when I say these things, don't take it too seriously and just feel free to carry on as you do. Unfortunately things posted online can come off as a bit more vindictive then they actually are, and I'm not immune from any of these things either. Sorry!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

For my other unpopular, I sort of hate both anti-sjw and sjw equally as much, like both side are full of hate and said nothings good to each other, just complain all day long

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Oh damn mods talk smack in a discord gc?

Added in 3 minutes 23 seconds:
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 am For my other unpopular, I sort of hate both anti-sjw and sjw equally as much, like both side are full of hate and said nothings good to each other, just complain all day long
Those people are the most rotten folks in America lol, constant venom in their day to day lives, it's not healthy.

Twitter beefs if someone calls a female character unattractive, they knock the primal human desire to see attractive people daily. Total shitshow.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm Oh damn mods talk smack in a discord gc?

Added in 3 minutes 23 seconds:
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 am For my other unpopular, I sort of hate both anti-sjw and sjw equally as much, like both side are full of hate and said nothings good to each other, just complain all day long
Those people are the most rotten folks in America lol, constant venom in their day to day lives, it's not healthy.

Twitter beefs if someone calls a female character unattractive, they knock the primal human desire to see attractive people daily. Total shitshow.
Exactly

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

But wouldn't I you say it's equally annoying to see someone constantly praise something for too long too? Is the person posting negatively just post once then not say anything else while those that praise something to high hell can be in the good graces of the mods and can keep going indefinitely? I don't get this mindset that negative reactions are less important than praising shiiit to high hell. We get it you liked it can be said as well and vice versa. There's got to be a middle ground to praise and dissdain from both sides because it gets annoying as well seeing people just not let go of that metaphorical teet.