Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by NSZ »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:11 pm I can't lie.. for a film many consider Pixar's best, I can't help but feel like Up is kind of overrated.

Now don't get me qrong, the opening scene is BEAUTIFUL. Absolutely tear jerking in every sense, and you feel for Carl. But the rest of the film just can't live up to it. Everything beyond that is just "okay." Carl is an okay main protagonist, Russell is an alright sidekick , Dug (or was it Doug?) is an unfunny comic relief, the bird hunt is super uninteresting, Charles Muntz is an underwhelming villain..

I honestly had more fun with every film Pixar has released in the 2020's than I did with Up.
Honestly, the fact that I have only ever seen people talk about the opening and literally nothing else about the movie says a lot.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

NSZ wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:56 pm
Gigantis wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:11 pm I can't lie.. for a film many consider Pixar's best, I can't help but feel like Up is kind of overrated.

Now don't get me qrong, the opening scene is BEAUTIFUL. Absolutely tear jerking in every sense, and you feel for Carl. But the rest of the film just can't live up to it. Everything beyond that is just "okay." Carl is an okay main protagonist, Russell is an alright sidekick , Dug (or was it Doug?) is an unfunny comic relief, the bird hunt is super uninteresting, Charles Muntz is an underwhelming villain..

I honestly had more fun with every film Pixar has released in the 2020's than I did with Up.
Honestly, the fact that I have only ever seen people talk about the opening and literally nothing else about the movie says a lot.
Took the words right out of my brain.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

You might want to check out the Swedish film, "A Man Called Ove". I like to sell it to people who found Up's intro fantastic, and the rest of the film too fantastical for its own right (I know not exactly what you're complaint is but it reminded me of it). It goes through a similar arch, but does so without relying on flying a house to south America and searching for an almost existent bird creature, or similar levels of absurdity. Whether or not its as good as Up's first 10 minutes alone, is not for me to say, but I enjoyed it thoroughly, and will definitely be putting into my regular rotation of movies.

Edit: Just to be transparent, it is a little darker than Up, and has some very light "black" comedy humor (there's a reoccurring joke about the protagonist being too inconvenienced to successfully commit suicide because he's always trying to help out his neighbors) , but I think it treats the subject matter with enough reverence that I wouldn't consider it offensive, but everyone's tolerance levels are different.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:09 pm You might want to check out the Swedish film, "A Man Called Ove". I like to sell it to people who found Up's intro fantastic, and the rest of the film too fantastical for its own right (I know not exactly what you're complaint is but it reminded me of it). It goes through a similar arch, but does so without relying on flying a house to south America and searching for an almost existent bird creature, or similar levels of absurdity. Whether or not its as good as Up's first 10 minutes alone, is not for me to say, but I enjoyed it thoroughly, and will definitely be putting into my regular rotation of movies.

Edit: Just to be transparent, it is a little darker than Up, and has some very light "black" comedy humor (there's a reoccurring joke about the protagonist being too inconvenienced to successfully commit suicide because he's always trying to help out his neighbors) , but I think it treats the subject matter with enough reverence that I wouldn't consider it offensive, but everyone's tolerance levels are different.
Oh, I wasn't saying Up was too fantastical (Pixar usually thrives off of fantastical elements added onto realistic backdrops!) It just didn't work in this particular movie.

Thanks for the film recommendation though! I'll check out Ove someday.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I am of the opinion that the rest of Up is an enjoyable movie, I do like the dynamic between Carl and Russell to be a good heart to things, Dug makes for amusing comic relief and just the colorful setting and imagery still sticks with me as one of Pixar's more beautiful films.

Just the opening 10 minutes might be the best thing Pixar ever made, so anything after it will feel like a natural letdown.

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

THANK YOU. It seems we are of the same opinion in regards to Up.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Money is not the root of all evil. Humans giving into fear and insecurity would be a more accurate statement.

A better name for the movie Parasite would've been Class.

I find Gundam Wing overrated and boring.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Avoidance of pain is not always a good thing.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:33 am Avoidance of pain is not always a good thing.
The same applies for melancholy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Pacific Rim might have the best fights of any modern giant monster movie (haven't seen GvK so I can't speak for it personally).

Added in 1 minute 58 seconds:
Gohan vs Cell is the single most overrated fight in Dragonball.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

In fact, I'd say avoiding pain is sometimes even bad.
For Emperor and Empire!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:00 am Money is not the root of all evil. Humans giving into fear and insecurity would be a more accurate statement.

A better name for the movie Parasite would've been Class.

I find Gundam Wing overrated and boring.
Actually, the quote is "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil".

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:03 am I'll counter that with an unpopular opinion and say Superman works better as a theoretical ticking time bomb of emotions, trying to do the best he can to overcome them, while protecting his friends and family from intergalactic and terrorist threats.

Therefore proving to himself and everyone around him that he can be the "Superman" they see him as.

Because in real life it's not kryptonite that harms us, it's our own emotions. I think it's very poetic that a Man of Steel who's faster than a speeding bullet, and can jump over buildings in a single bound, can very well suffer from depression and a feeling that he doesn't quite fit in.
In advance, I apologize for a late response. I like what you said in the first paragraph because I am working on a Superman-type character in my head who's just like that. He is a tormented and brooding anti-hero who views his powers as a burden much like Marvel's Wolverine.
Voyager wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:33 pm In fact, I'd say avoiding pain is sometimes even bad.
If you an make it through pain, emotional or physical you can come back tougher.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

The philosophy of avoiding pain is yet caused the horrors of the Holocaust. Had France and Britain kept there promise to Poland in that dreadful year of ‘39 it is quite likely the tens of millions that died in WW2 would not have.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:22 pm The philosophy of avoiding pain is yet caused the horrors of the Holocaust. Had France and Britain kept there promise to Poland in that dreadful year of ‘39 it is quite likely the tens of millions that died in WW2 would not have.
You could argue that war itself is not merely an avoidable crime, but a component in the cycle of change, which in-turn leads to rebirth. Same goes for the mass extinction of species.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This might be a weird hill to die on, but I want to see if I'm the only one and some sort of freak, or if anyone else agrees with me.

I despise breakfast.

With the exception of times I'm with extended family, or a very special occasion, I do not eat breakfast. I drink coffee, and that's sufficent for me. I eat a moderate lunch, and a large dinner, and that's often good enough for me. My family growing up had very different working hours, so family meals were a rarity. When I was in college, I worked a part full time job from 11am to 1pm, so "normal" eating hours were a bit of a hassle. I'd wake up at 10AM, go to work/college, and just eat lunch and dinner. I've never felt tired, or weak from this, or unusual. Maybe this is TMI, but I also have my digestive system fine tuned, so that assuming I don't eat in the morning, I can easily use the bathroom, at a precise span of time in the morning. If I eat breakfast, I instantly feel super bloated, gross, and tired. Rather than give me energy for the day, I feel sluggish.

Despite this, I've been continually lectured throughout my life about how "it's important" to eat breakfast. Usually from acquaintances (that remain acquaintences), I'm hounded and given unsolicited advice about how "it's the most important meal of the day" and how I'm unhealthy for not eating breakfast. I feel like breakfast is a sham, invented by orange juice and ceral companies to create a new market for food. Isolating different foods into different categories such as "breakfast" and "dinner foods" is a completely assisine concept to me, especially now being in a culture where different food items (fish, natto), are completely acceptable and normalized parts of morning meals.

The entire thing reeks and I hate breakfast. Who is with me? :twisted:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:53 pm The entire thing reeks and I hate breakfast. Who is with me? :twisted:
I don't hate it, per say, but I'm certainly in the camp of not being big on breakfast either. I eat it very rarely; only when I wake up early enough and I have the time and motivation to do so. I'm also not an overly huge fan of "classic" breakfast foods, so sometimes breakfast for me is last night's dinner leftovers, reheated in the microwave.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:53 pm Despite this, I've been continually lectured throughout my life about how "it's important" to eat breakfast. Usually from acquaintances (that remain acquaintences), I'm hounded and given unsolicited advice about how "it's the most important meal of the day" and how I'm unhealthy for not eating breakfast. I feel like breakfast is a sham, invented by orange juice and ceral companies to create a new market for food.
This is absolutely true. Specifically, the orange and pork industries created a lot of what people now believe is some innate human trait of eating a great big meal in the morning, and defining what it should consist of.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I don't hate breakfast but it's far from my favorite meal. I'm also not interested in eating anything at 6:30am before I leave for work. If I have breakfast at most I'll eat a buttered bagel or cereal. I usually eat breakfast because I have to, not because I want to. When I do eat a stereotypical breakfast of things like eggs, bacon and whatever, it's for dinner

That said, ugh, coffee. No idea how people drink that stuff.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:27 am
That said, ugh, coffee. No idea how people drink that stuff.
I'm averaging 3-4 cups a day. But rarely if ever enjoy it.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.