Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by GigaBowserG »

KingKong2005 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:03 pm
Cosbydaf wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:58 pm The 2021 Godzilla Ride footage is the most enjoyment I've gotten from the Reiwa era (Toho content) thus far.
I think the Godzilla Ride footage looks way better visually than KOTM does. KOTM has some awful vfx, meanwhile the ride looks so much more better. Especially due to the fact that there isn't a constant storm covering the monsters. Also the fight choreography was great. It was way too short, but compared to the fight in KOTM the fight between Godzilla and Ghidorah on the ride is way cooler to me.
This is the most amount of weight that battling monsters have had since 2014. Crazy.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think comparing motion simulator theme park ride footage to a theatrically released Hollywood film is, to be frank, pretty stupid.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 7:33 pm I think comparing motion simulator theme park ride footage to a theatrically released Hollywood film is, to be frank, pretty stupid.
Agreed.

It looks neat but acting like it's somehow better thrn any film we've gotten is laughable.

Added in 4 minutes :
Like, speaking honestly, the only thing it has going for it is the designs.

The choreography seems to be just...ok, there's no weight to me personally, it honestly just seems like...well a ride.

Only bit I liked was Godzilla smashing the Ghidorah head. That was neat

RIP Evan.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

The American Grudge remake from 2004 was superior to the 2002 original because Kayako was scarier in it and Takashi Shimizu did it better the second time around. Ju-On feels like a comedy by comparison and very stilted. That film really needed a central character to push the narrative because it's three separate short story approach didn't work for me.

Also really like the diverse approach of the Godzilla franchise,especially lately.
Last edited by Bigdog on Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I like the ending of 10 Cloverfield Lane. Honestly I would have been massively disappointed if it all ended up being in John Goodman's head.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I much prefer movies over television shows, as those are much cheaper and less filled with cgi.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So like i said before, i've been watching a lot of Cartoon Network show's on HBO Max. I like Ed Edd n' Eddy, i like The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, i absolutely adore Regular Show.. and then i reached The Amazing World of Gumball. For anyone who doesn't really know, TAWOG is proclaimed to easily be one of the best modern cartoons out there when it comes to humor and heart.

And i don't get it. Besides it's unique blend of animation style's there's really nothing else much too it. It's not really that funny, the characters are kinda flat, (Gumball himself can be just plain annoying in certain episodes) it's mostly a chore to watch, and some of it is already becoming super outdated (that Trumplica mayor for example)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Anguirus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:08 pm I much prefer movies over television shows, as those are much cheaper and less filled with cgi.
Not sure how this qualifies as an unpopular opinion, but m'kay.

Irony FTW.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:35 am The Amazing World of Gumball. For anyone who doesn't really know, TAWOG is proclaimed to easily be one of the best modern cartoons out there when it comes to humor and heart.

And i don't get it. Besides it's unique blend of animation style's there's really nothing else much too it. It's not really that funny, the characters are kinda flat, (Gumball himself can be just plain annoying in certain episodes) it's mostly a chore to watch, and some of it is already becoming super outdated (that Trumplica mayor for example)
I hear you. I've hated that show for years.

On an unrelated note, when it comes to the live action Batman movies, I prefer the Burton duology over the Nolan trilogy, especially given the holier than thou, trying to be philosophical bullshit of the latter. But I do at least agree that Heath Ledger was great as The Joker.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I need to rewatch a good chunk of the batman movies, but I don't think the hyper-realistic tone of the nolan films will age well. Outside of the Dark Knight being a fairly interesting retrospective on a post 9-11 America (and thus the style kind of suiting it), as batman films, I think the realism is majorly disservice. Batman has almost always maintained a gothic aesthetic. Hell, the joker was inspired by a gothic drama by a famous german expressionist director. I think too much of this is scrubbed in attempting to be realistic. Say what you will about the burton films, but one thing they excel in is the atmosphere. Overall I think my friend put it best (paraphrased), "If you make Batman too realistic, it becomes increasingly hard to ignore how ridiculous it is that he's just a man dressed as a bat".

That being said, hopefully "The Batman" strikes a good balance of this, and so far it appears to be the case.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

If anyone in any Godzilla/kaiju fan group I'm in on Facebook has their profession listed as "visual storyteller" without any actual places of work afterward, I automatically stop paying attention or listening to whatever they think they know what they're talking about.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:00 pm group... Facebook... profession... "visual storyteller"
That label is not a "profession." It's one of several "roles" Facebook recently added to its group functions, basically summarizing what certain members in a group most usually post. "Visual storyteller" is often given to members who post lots of pictures. I think moderators and administrators can set their own roles, but if regular users have them it's because they were given one without their choice.

Source: involved in and have administrated Facebook groups.

But even if it were their profession, so what? For example, I can list my profession on Facebook without listing my employer (past or present), and that doesn't mean I'm unqualified to talk about certain things on Facebook. You're looking for a problem where there isn't one.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:09 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:00 pm group... Facebook... profession... "visual storyteller"
That label is not a "profession." It's one of several "roles" Facebook recently added to its group functions, basically summarizing what certain members in a group most usually post. "Visual storyteller" is often given to members who post lots of pictures. I think moderators and administrators can set their own roles, but if regular users have them it's because they were given one without their choice.

Source: involved in and have administrated Facebook groups.
Yeah, but it still doesn't change the fact that 99% of every single one I see in groups is either a kid in high school or right out of it. Legit just saw a dude post a topic in a group "I know everything about Godzilla!" and then proceed to show off the old 2003 images of the mechanized Showa kaiju that have made the rounds for nearly two decades now and explain how he didn't know about it or even know what they came from.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

That the earlier Daffy Duck cartoons are better than his later ones. I prefer him when he truly is "Daffy".

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Anguirus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:53 pm That the earlier Daffy Duck cartoons are better than his later ones. I prefer him when he truly is "Daffy".
100% agree. As much as I do enjoy the Chuck Jones "Asshole Duck" stuff, my heart really belongs to the utter madness of the Bob Clampett version and the fast-talking tomfoolery of Robert McKimson's take.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:44 pm I need to rewatch a good chunk of the batman movies, but I don't think the hyper-realistic tone of the nolan films will age well. Outside of the Dark Knight being a fairly interesting retrospective on a post 9-11 America (and thus the style kind of suiting it), as batman films, I think the realism is majorly disservice. Batman has almost always maintained a gothic aesthetic. Hell, the joker was inspired by a gothic drama by a famous german expressionist director. I think too much of this is scrubbed in attempting to be realistic. Say what you will about the burton films, but one thing they excel in is the atmosphere.
Agreed, the trilogy's attempts at realism only draw more attention to how much wacky stuff is going on. The movies are bonkers yet they try to be restrained and grounded, it's a mess.
Overall I think my friend put it best (paraphrased), "If you make Batman too realistic, it becomes increasingly hard to ignore how ridiculous it is that he's just a man dressed as a bat".
This is why I think Batman works best in animation or comics. There's just something inherently ridiculous about seeing a flesh and blood, grown ass man in a bat costume...

Yet another reason why Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie. :)
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Since the fourth just came and went, I’ll say that I’m not a patriotic person. I don’t hate America, it’s just annoying to see people that are “proud to be American” as if it’s some sort of accomplishment to be here.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:41 am
Anguirus wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:53 pm That the earlier Daffy Duck cartoons are better than his later ones. I prefer him when he truly is "Daffy".
100% agree. As much as I do enjoy the Chuck Jones "Asshole Duck" stuff, my heart really belongs to the utter madness of the Bob Clampett version and the fast-talking tomfoolery of Robert McKimson's take.
I wouldn't say they are my favorites, but I've defintely gained much more of an appreciation for the very late 30's and 40's LT/MM. I purchased the Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Blu-Ray set a while ago (since LT Platinum BRD are insanely expensive). I have the Golden Collection, but Platinum restored several older LT & MM not on the other collections. Unfortunately it is all quite hard to sort out across so many releases. Fortunately I found via other means a completely chronological collection of all LT & MM, even the banned & problematic ones (Not that I condone them, I just like completeness). I was quite surprised to find out, both the first appearance of Daffy Duck, and Bugs Bunny, he is being Hunted by Porky (Porky's Duck Hunt 4/17//1937 & just over a year later...Porky's Hare Hunt 04/30/1938).
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:57 am Since the fourth just came and went, I’ll say that I’m not a patriotic person. I don’t hate America, it’s just annoying to see people that are “proud to be American” as if it’s some sort of accomplishment to be here.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Not even a political thing, it just gets to be a bit too much for me sometimes, people screaming about it or whatnot.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:29 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:57 am Since the fourth just came and went, I’ll say that I’m not a patriotic person. I don’t hate America, it’s just annoying to see people that are “proud to be American” as if it’s some sort of accomplishment to be here.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Not even a political thing, it just gets to be a bit too much for me sometimes, people screaming about it or whatnot.
As an American, so many American customs puzzle me.

The Pledge of Allegiance especially confuses me. We like to shit on countries like North Korea for their cultish behavior, then turn around to stand and chant our unerring devotion to a piece of cloth every school morning. It's creepy as hell.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple