Random facts about you

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Random facts about you

Post by Terasawa »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:I have a small collection of WWII-era currency from around the world courtesy of my late grandfather. I've got Yen, Pesos, Berlin Marks, Zaires, Gulden, and Cruzeiros, none of which are usable tender anymore.
Neat. What makes the WWII yen unusable?

My dad's best friend was in the Peace Corps and traveled all around the world during the '60s-onward. When I was young (too young to appreciate it), he gave me a banknote from some east Asian country. I forget which now, and he's unfortunately no longer with us. I'm not sure where it is anymore, either, though I definitely still have it somewhere.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Terasawa wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:I have a small collection of WWII-era currency from around the world courtesy of my late grandfather. I've got Yen, Pesos, Berlin Marks, Zaires, Gulden, and Cruzeiros, none of which are usable tender anymore.
My guess is it's military yen, which was used to pay Japanese soldiers and as currency in certain occupied areas, notably Hong Kong; after the Japanese surrender it was declared null and void
Last edited by G2000 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Terasawa wrote:

My dad's best friend was in the Peace Corps and traveled all around the world during the '60s-onward. When I was young (too young to appreciate it), he gave me a banknote from some east Asian country. I forget which now, and he's unfortunately no longer with us. I'm not sure where it is anymore, either, though I definitely still have it somewhere.
You know, I hadn't actually checked, I just assumed since most of the others were currencies I didn't recognize or from countries that no longer exist that the yen would be the same. Some cursory research seems to indicate I can still use some of it, but other ones aren't listed. With that information I've got at least 101 usable yen. Here, I snapped a quick picture of my collection last night, it's not great quality but it gets the general idea across:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:With that information I've got at least 101 usable yen.
Which leaves you about 3399 yen short of buying the cheapest Toho Video Godzilla Blu-rays. :P

Thanks for the picture.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Terasawa wrote:
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote:With that information I've got at least 101 usable yen.
Which leaves you about 3399 yen short of buying the cheapest Toho Video Godzilla Blu-rays. :P

Thanks for the picture.
Which is why they'll be staying in the envelope. :P

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

A few related to the current month:

-Every Halloween I wear a 'Famous Monsters Of Filmland' hoodie that features part of the 'Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman' poster on the back.

-The 'Primal' episode, 'Terror Under the Blood Moon' is now an essential part of my October viewing. A giant spider and giant bats are its antagonists after all.

-When it comes to 'The Howling' and 'An American Werewolf In London', I think the former has the better Werewolves design wise.

-'Bram Stoker's Dracula' is by far my favorite Dracula movie.
Last edited by Leviarex on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Leviarex wrote:-When it comes to 'The Howling' and 'An American Werewolf In London', I think the former has the better Werewolves design wise.
Agreed. While I love AAWiL, the wolf itself is fairly basic, and kind of clunky.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Leviarex wrote:-'Bram Stoker's Dracula' is by far my favorite Dracula movie.
Same. Only vampire movie I've ever seriously loved.
Resized Image

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
Leviarex wrote:-'Bram Stoker's Dracula' is by far my favorite Dracula movie.
Same. Only vampire movie I've ever seriously loved.
Ayyyy

Just saw it last year and loved the hell out of it

Yeah people can mock Keanu's performance all they want but it's one minor slight against an otherwise fantastic film
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Leviarex wrote:-When it comes to 'The Howling' and 'An American Werewolf In London', I think the former has the better Werewolves design wise.
Somehow, when I replied to this earlier, I didn't think about the fact that I am wearing one of my two Howling t-shirts today, and this one features the werewolf design quite prominently!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I've tried four or five times but just can't appreciate Coppola's Dracula.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:I've tried four or five times but just can't appreciate Coppola's Dracula.
Likewise. Saw it in the theater, watched it several times since...

I like some of Roman Coppola's old-fashioned in-camera effects...

I like some of the production design and photography...

But I just do not feel that movie at all.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I've tried four or five times but just can't appreciate Coppola's Dracula.

1:44 sounds like a classic Hammer film: that's about all I remember from my last viewing the better part of a decade ago. It's a visual treat but otherwise it doesn't do it for me. The perfect adaptation of Dracula remains unfilmed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:
eabaker wrote:

1:44 sounds like a classic Hammer film: that's about all I remember from my last viewing the better part of a decade ago. It's a visual treat but otherwise it doesn't do it for me. The perfect adaptation of Dracula remains unfilmed.
I think in terms of relatively faithful adaptations, the 1977 BBC version Count Dracula with Louis Jourdan is probably my favorite.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

As I've grown older, I've become more empathic towards dogs than I do with people, plus more of a dog person than a people person being the animal lover I am. Probably has to do as I got older, the less I trust people.

Why I also have very few friends in-person as all the friends I had in my school years have moved on or left the city.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:As I've grown older, I've become more empathic towards dogs than I do with people, plus more of a dog person than a people person being the animal lover I am. Probably has to do as I got older, the less I trust people.

Why I also have very few friends in-person as all the friends I had in my school years have moved on or left the city.
same here only I'm younger and with reptiles instead of dogs
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

It's kinda weird saying this, but i think i grew desensitized to dog whistles. I heard one earlier today but it barely phased me at all, compared to the last couple times where it just drones on my ears.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

When it comes to making peanut butter and jam sandwiches. I tend to use four pieces of bread, a double stack.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I like watching vertebrate dissections on Youtube while eating lunch. Is there something wrong with me? Probably
Last edited by Noble Saber on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

In grade 5 we had to do a presentation on a successful South American. I chose Augusto Pinochet.
Last edited by Voyager on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!