The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by Leviarex »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:11 am Happy #MorrisonMay!

What's everyone's favorite Morrison Formation animal? Stegosaurus and Apatosaurus, for me. They're both in my top five favorite dinosaurs.
Allosaurus hands down.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Stegosaurus, Allosaurus and so many Sauropods (Apatosaurus, Brontosaurus, Brachiosaurus) are iconic.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’m really stupid, so feel free to dismantle what I’m about to say if it’s right to.

Say, since Mapusaurus roseae is the dinosaur’s scientific name, what would it’s common name be? Rose (or Rose’s) Earth Lizard?
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:37 pm I’m really stupid, so feel free to dismantle what I’m about to say if it’s right to.

Say, since Mapusaurus roseae is the dinosaur’s scientific name, what would it’s common name be? Rose (or Rose’s) Earth Lizard?
Could honestly be anything. Would have to depend on like situation I guess?

Like.

Lion is Panthera leo.

We call it a lion but to someone in Kenya, it's simba.

There's no real way to define a common name. Hell we can barely agree on common names for animals (pumas. That is all) which is why we HAVE scientific names:because they're standardized and specific.

Long story short: idk, but that works for me.

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

When I was younger, I used to create common names for dinosaurs and other prehistoric fauna.

One I can remember well was one for Utahraptor. I just called it the Utah Ground Hawk. I think it's quite fitting.
For Emperor and Empire!

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I bring two new dinosaurs

Australotitan cooperensis, a titanosaur of the Winton Formation which may have been Australia's largest dinosaur known.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/phys.org/n ... uthern.amp

Fylax thyrakolasus, a hadrosauroid of the Latest Cretaceous in Spain
http://www.app.pan.pl/article/item/app008212020.html
Last edited by DynomikeGojira on Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:37 pm I’m really stupid, so feel free to dismantle what I’m about to say if it’s right to.

To be honest, at this point scientific names of dinosaurs (and other creatures that went extinct) would be their common name.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Eel221 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:22 am To be honest, at this point scientific names of dinosaurs (and other creatures that went extinct) would be their common name.
With exceptions, though. Mammuthus primigenius, for example, is commonly called the woolly mammoth. Smilodon is the saber-toothed tiger. Arctodus is the short-faced bear.

But those have the advantage of being closely related and very similar to modern animals, so the common names are easily invented. Dinosaurs... it's hard to say what they would've been commonly called if scientific naming hadn't gotten to them early on like it did. Iguanodon might've been the giant iguana, or something. Who knows. Common names aren't universal, anyway; case in point, we call species in the genus Iguana.... iguanas. Same with Gorilla, Bison, Hippopotamus, and others.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Apparently, according to scientist, Megalodon might have actually been even bigger than we thought!
https://www.sciencealert.com/prehistori ... we-thought

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:11 pm When I was younger, I used to create common names for dinosaurs and other prehistoric fauna.

One I can remember well was one for Utahraptor. I just called it the Utah Ground Hawk. I think it's quite fitting.
God(Zilla), I wish this site had like icons!

Added in 29 seconds:
Hey everyone. Remember this sh*t?

Last edited by ShinGojira14 on Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Anyone see the study that showed tyrannosaurus dominated multiple niches? Juveniles were the dominant medium predators and adults were the dominant large predators

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 101227.htm
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ That's insane. There can't be many other predators throughout history that just monopolized the whole market like that.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Big lad

@Gigantis
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Oh, wow, I thought Megalodon got a downgrade.

Sperm Whale still supreme. :sunglasses:

Added in 1 minute 51 seconds:
gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:34 am Anyone see the study that showed tyrannosaurus dominated multiple niches? Juveniles were the dominant medium predators and adults were the dominant large predators

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 101227.htm
I really do adore how despite all the contenders for size, tyrannosaurs still are super unique and succesful predators that dominated the late Creatceous.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Soooo i'm guessing Livyatan Mevilli isn't just "Sperm Whale but smaller" anymore because of that shillouete?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:23 pm Soooo i'm guessing Livyatan Mevilli isn't just "Sperm Whale but smaller" anymore because of that shillouete?
Never was, it was a far more active predator and had larger teeth
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I have been developing an interest in extinct proboscideans over the past few days. Particularly Mammutidae (Mastodons) and Gomphotheriidae. Anyone care to discuss them?

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:34 pm I have been developing an interest in extinct proboscideans over the past few days. Particularly Mammutidae (Mastodons) and Gomphotheriidae. Anyone care to discuss them?
I’m a huge lover of elephants, so I’m down. Where do you want to start?
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

TyrantGojira wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:24 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:34 pm I have been developing an interest in extinct proboscideans over the past few days. Particularly Mammutidae (Mastodons) and Gomphotheriidae. Anyone care to discuss them?
I’m a huge lover of elephants, so I’m down. Where do you want to start?
First of all, I think it blows that there’s only 3 extant members of the order surviving today. The others came just soooo close to making it past the Pleistocene/Holocene boundary. makes me wish we had more megafauna around today.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?