The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:09 am
mikelcho wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:20 am Which dinosaurs are in Ornithoscelida? Is one of them Scelidosaurus?
Technically yes, but that is not where the name comes from. Ornithoscelida is a clade which includes theropods and ornithischians but not sauropodomorphs or herrerasauridae. Dinosaurs are traditionally split into ornithischia and saurischia, but a recent paper suggested that this grouping may not be correct, and that theropods are more closely related to ornithischians than sauropods.
A paper which, unsurprisingly, is still being hotly debated.

Personally I'm waiting for more studies to confirm or dismiss the notion, but I've always thought it curious that the bird hips that give ornithischians their name are also possessed by many theropods and, you know, actual birds, but the two groups were only distantly related.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:20 am Which dinosaurs are in Ornithoscelida? Is one of them Scelidosaurus?
Technically yes, but that is not where the name comes from. Ornithoscelida is a clade which includes theropods and ornithischians but not sauropodomorphs or herrerasauridae. Dinosaurs are traditionally split into ornithischia and saurischia, but a recent paper suggested that this grouping may not be correct, and that theropods are more closely related to ornithischians than sauropods.
Thanks! I haven't been keeping up with dinosaurs too much lately, so this is new to me.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

mikelcho wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:00 am
Thanks! I haven't been keeping with dinosaurs too much lately, so this is new to me.
No problem! It was a pretty big deal, but as Gomi said it is still being hotly debated. Hopefully it'll get cleared up soon, but until then we can just have fun hypothesizing!
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

your source of self destruction

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

master_of_monsters wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:45 am
Anyone else notice the coloration of the 1950s Tyranno? Nice reference there.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Is it bad that I'm biased for the 90s model even though I know (and accept) that its inaccurate? Spino on the other hand I'm all for the new look

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

master_of_monsters wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:09 pm Is it bad that I'm biased for the 90s model even though I know (and accept) that its inaccurate? Spino on the other hand I'm all for the new look
Absolutely. Liking anything scientifically inaccurate for aesthetic or nostalgic reasons is strictly forbidden, you must only like the most up-to-date artistic interpretations of ancient creatures nobody has ever seen alive.

Get out of here with your heresy.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:27 pm
master_of_monsters wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:09 pm Is it bad that I'm biased for the 90s model even though I know (and accept) that its inaccurate? Spino on the other hand I'm all for the new look
Absolutely. Liking anything scientifically inaccurate for aesthetic or nostalgic reasons is strictly forbidden, you must only like the most up-to-date artistic interpretations of ancient creatures nobody has ever seen alive.

Get out of here with your heresy.
well before I go here's a chonky Carno

Last edited by master_of_monsters on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Thing I'm beginning to dig about Spinosaurus is just how its throws out almost everything we thought we knew about the morphology of large Theropods. Its even exceptionally bizarre in relation to other Spinosaurids.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:37 am Thing I'm beginning to dig about Spinosaurus is just how its throws out almost everything we thought we knew about the morphology of large Theropods. Its even exceptionally bizarre in relation to other Spinosaurids.
kind of what therizinosaurs have done but turned to 11
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

The monster of Aramberri is one of my favourites, cause it is the actual Liopleurodon from WWD because Liopleurodon turned out to be small. Plus due to my Mexican origins, I'm proud prehistoric Mexico had this beast around.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

AllosaurHell wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:30 am The monster of Aramberri is one of my favourites, cause it is the actual Liopleurodon from WWD because Liopleurodon turned out to be small. Plus due to my Mexican origins, I'm proud prehistoric Mexico had this beast around.
HOLY CRAP. That is freaking awesome!!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

AllosaurHell wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:30 am The monster of Aramberri is one of my favourites, cause it is the actual Liopleurodon from WWD because Liopleurodon turned out to be small. Plus due to my Mexican origins, I'm proud prehistoric Mexico had this beast around.
Have there been any studies done to the Monster? I remember finding it sourced at the Internet many years, but I just can't find any studies done, especially about it's size
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

According to an article by Australian paleontologist, Phil Hore in this year's fall issue of 'Prehistoric Times', Stegosaurus likely couldn't flush blood into their plates to create colorful displays (ala 'Walking With Dinosaurs') due to them being covered by a layer of keratin too thick for any colors to shine through. What the consensus is among other paleontologists regarding this I don't know.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Sounds about right. Compare the plates of Stegosaurus to something that was actually used for thermoregulation, such as the crest of a Cassowary, which is filled of tiny spaces for blood vessels to pass through and disperse heat. Stegosaurus plates show no such feature. I believe the thermoregulation hypothesis for stegosaurs has fallen out of favor for a bit of time now.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Magnificent beast!

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Manuelito Canelito wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:15 am
Have there been any studies done to the Monster? I remember finding it sourced at the Internet many years, but I just can't find any studies done, especially about it's size
All that I really know is that the fossils that were thought to belong to a large Liopleurodon were this thing all along, but I don't know if any studies are publicly available.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

AllosaurHell wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:27 pm

All that I really know is that the fossils that were thought to belong to a large Liopleurodon were this thing all along, but I don't know if any studies are publicly available.
Adam Smith ('Dr. Admin,' as we at The Dinosaur Toy Forums refer to him) has a page on his website about the Aramberri pliosaur. He has given it an estimated length of 15-18 meters. Not too much you can find about the Monster of Aramberri, but Dr. Admin is THE plesiosaur paleontologist so his website is legit.

https://plesiosauria.com/mines-bigger-t ... the-media/

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Noble Saber wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:47 pm
AllosaurHell wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Adam Smith ('Dr. Admin,' as we at The Dinosaur Toy Forums refer to him) has a page on his website about the Aramberri pliosaur. He has given it an estimated length of 15-18 meters. Not too much you can find about the Monster of Aramberri, but Dr. Admin is THE plesiosaur paleontologist so his website is legit.

https://plesiosauria.com/mines-bigger-t ... the-media/
Thanks! Damn this is such a badass pliosaur!

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I’m surprised I’ve never heard of this leviathan. You’d think there would be discussed more often.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"