The Paleontology Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Paleontology Thread

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Since Tarbosaurus is considered a species of Tyrannosaurus

Also.
Rhedosaurus wrote:I remember reading that when Edwin Colbert found all those Ghost Ranch Coelophysis, he thought that they basically choked to death on toxic volcanic gases. Is that still a valid theory? Because I know that the flood drowning theory has taken hold, but I'm not sure how solid that is considering how such power of the flood would have damaged the bones.
^This please.
In the 50's maybe.

Added in 27 seconds:
ScootaVaran wrote:Decided to rearrange my dino wall.
I see T. Cheloniformis on the right hand table!
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Let's start the year with Yunyangosaurus puanensis, a newly described megalosauroid theropod from China
Image by cisiopurple

Here you can find out more as well as the description of Wulong bohaiensis, a particularly well-preserved baby microraptorine that sheds some light on dinosaurian growth stages. A new species of Archaebalaenoptera has been found as well.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:

Also.
Rhedosaurus wrote:I remember reading that when Edwin Colbert found all those Ghost Ranch Coelophysis, he thought that they basically choked to death on toxic volcanic gases. Is that still a valid theory? Because I know that the flood drowning theory has taken hold, but I'm not sure how solid that is considering how such power of the flood would have damaged the bones.
^This please.
In the 50's maybe.

Added in 27 seconds:
From what I've heard, the volcanic gasses theory is still being upheld even today.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Think he's talking about the "Tarbosaurus is just the Asian variant of Tyrannosaurus" thing.

Which he's right, it is an antiquated theory no one's actually considered since 1950
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:

Also.

^This please.
In the 50's maybe.

Added in 27 seconds:
From what I've heard, the volcanic gasses theory is still being upheld even today.
Was talking about the dude who said Tarbosaurus=Tyrannosaurus

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: In the 50's maybe.

Added in 27 seconds:

Was talking about the dude who said Tarbosaurus=Tyrannosaurus
Sorry. My bad.

SoggyNoodles2016

RIP Evan.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

That's been a thing for a while, just not scientifically validated until now.

SoggyNoodles2016

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
I actually have heard of it, now that I read it. Still, interesting chapter in the history of a iconic and well known species.

RIP Evan.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote:
I actually have heard of it, now that I read it. Still, interesting chapter in the history of a iconic and well known species.
You can't go ANYWHERE in Late Jurassic North America without bumping into an Allosaurus, can ya. :P

By the way, was the sheer number of allosaurs the main reason why the pure megalosaurs died out?

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: That's been a thing for a while, just not scientifically validated until now.
You can't go ANYWHERE in Late Jurassic North America without bumping into an Allosaurus, can ya. :P

By the way, was the sheer number of allosaurs the main reason why the pure megalosaurs died out?
Doubtful, though possible. Remember, the most powerful predator in Jurassic North America was a Megalosaur.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Rhedosaurus wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Gawdziller1954 wrote: That's been a thing for a while, just not scientifically validated until now.

Probably not. A. jimmadseni seems to have been an ancestor to A. fragillis and I haven't heard if they coexisted. Even if they did, they'd have a different niche that probably didn't compete with big ol' megalosaurs like Torvosaurus.

Edit: looking around and Torvosaurus seems to be both the last megalosaur and the only one that lived with allosaurs, so that's def not causation lmao
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

A. jimmadseni is also Big Al's specifical species.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

Probably not. A. jimmadseni seems to have been an ancestor to A. fragillis and I haven't heard if they coexisted. Even if they did, they'd have a different niche that probably didn't compete with big ol' megalosaurs like Torvosaurus.

Edit: looking around and Torvosaurus seems to be both the last megalosaur and the only one that lived with allosaurs, so that's def not causation lmao
Spinosaurs were the last Megalosaurs, actually. Eustreptospondylus is now known to have basically been a proto-spinosaur (notched, slightly elongate jaw, long body and tail with relatively short legs

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

So has anyone read the book "too Big to Walk" by Brian J. Ford?
It's about how large Dinosaurs wouldn't actually be able to support their massive weight on land. It even suggest that they were also tail draggers because supporting the tail up would be to taxing for the dinosaur. :?

Yeah, so as you can imagine it got chewed up by anyone with a casual interest in paleontology.
I'm always down for alternative ideas and theory's, but the author has a bit of a Galileo complex. The I'm right, everyone else is wrong and i'm hated for that!
You see the same attitude with a lot pseudoscience believers. So It makes it hard to take what he writes seriously.

I just started reading it so i'll get back to ya'll when I'm done.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

SoggyNoodles2016

Gawdziller1954 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Spinosaurs were the last Megalosaurs, actually. Eustreptospondylus is now known to have basically been a proto-spinosaur (notched, slightly elongate jaw, long body and tail with relatively short legs
I know that, just consider them different enough to not list them, though they do count.

RIP Evan.

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

ScootaVaran wrote:So has anyone read the book "too Big to Walk" by Brian J. Ford?
It's about how large Dinosaurs wouldn't actually be able to support their massive weight on land. It even suggest that they were also tail draggers because supporting the tail up would be to taxing for the dinosaur. :?

Yeah, so as you can imagine it got chewed up by anyone with a casual interest in paleontology.
I'm always down for alternative ideas and theory's, but the author has a bit of a Galileo complex. The I'm right, everyone else is wrong and i'm hated for that!
You see the same attitude with a lot pseudoscience believers. So It makes it hard to take what he writes seriously.

Ah yes. Brian "Sex Lakes" Ford. Mocking him is one of our favorite paleomemes.

ScootaVaran
EDF Instructor

Post by ScootaVaran »

Dino-Mario wrote:
ScootaVaran wrote:So has anyone read the book "too Big to Walk" by Brian J. Ford?

I take it he's known for other fun theories?
I have to admit I did little to no research on him.
The quickest way into a woman's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in. -Zapp Brannigan
For some Coffee inspired art, viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11147

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

ScootaVaran wrote:
Dino-Mario wrote:

I take it he's known for other fun theories?
I have to admit I did little to no research on him.
Ford believes that sauropods and other large-sized dinos not only lived on water, they also mated on it and an eventual decrease of their "sex lakes" was a key factor in their extinction. Yes, that's what he thinks.

Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
Meet Thanatotheristes, another fragmentary theropod with an edgelord name
https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/b ... torum.html

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Is Epanterias considered to be species of Allosaurus or is it still up in the air like Saurophagnax is?