New member introductions!

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Tytyvyllvs
Yojimbo

Re: New member introductions!

Post by Tytyvyllvs »

Hey all! I've lurked as a guest on these forums on and off since around 2014 (mostly in the collectibles sub-forum). Decided it was about time I joined the party!

Put my kaiju-life story under a spoiler tab because it got... long.
Spoiler:
I've been fascinated with giant reptilian monsters since before I can remember - I was that kid who spoke only in unsolicited dinosaur facts. One of my earliest memories is of watching a clip of Godzilla '98 over and over at a trade show I was at with my dad and being gripped by the idea of a massive creature destroying a city. Actually seeing the film in its entirety was also probably the first time I experienced disappointment at the hands of a film, haha! I didn't like the humans and was rooting for GINO all the way through, only to be gutted when he and his offspring were killed. :( Luckily, the toys for the film were great and numerous and I developed a strong affinity for Godzilla (albeit a version the vast majority of fans despise).

I didn't engage with kaiju films again until I saw a trailer for Pacific Rim and was awed by the idea and visuals. I went on to see the movie and enjoy it beyond words; it remains my favourite kaiju film to this day. I started collecting the NECA Pacific Rim figures at this point and started lurking on these forums to stay up to date with those releases.

I was hyped for Godzilla '14, but it disappointed me in much the same way as Godzilla '98 (too much boring human drama, not enough monster fun - though I concede that what little we get of Godzilla in '14 far surpasses whatever they were going for in '98). Nevertheless, I love Legendary's thicc Godzilla design and also liked that Godzilla was in more of a hero role (I'm a sap and prefer him as a good guy, fight me). I picked up the NECA 24-inch figure of '14 Godzilla and eventually got MonsterArts' Spitfire release too.

I've spent the last few years building a small collection of MonsterArts Godzillas and have begun slowly making my way through the Japanese films (including '54, GMK, Shin Godzilla and the anime).

And that brings us to now! I'm currently in the stranglehold of hype for KOTM. Everyone around me is sick of hearing about it, but I can't stop, haha! Also on the verge of jumping into collecting the Deforeal line. I shouldn't... but I'm tempted.

Outside of kaiju stuff, I'm a Star Wars fan (I collect the Black Series line, certain Hot Toys and Darth Maul and Bossk merch), a Pokémon fan and a Monster Hunter fan. I also occasionally dabble in writing fiction and non-fiction.
tl;dr: I'm looking forward to KOTM and I collect Godzilla figures.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Tytyvyllvs wrote:I've been fascinated with giant reptilian monsters since before I can remember - I was that kid who spoke only in unsolicited dinosaur facts.
That was always me, too. My younger brother and sister used to watch that show Dino Dan, and I just couldn't stay in the room when they had it on. Watching that kid was like looking into a brutally honest window into my childhood. :lol:

Welcome aboard! You're probably a rarity around here in terms of how few of the Japanese films you've seen. There are plenty of people here who haven't seen them all, but very few who've only seen six. Which of those is your favorite so far?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Tytyvyllvs
Yojimbo

Post by Tytyvyllvs »

JAGzilla wrote:That was always me, too. My younger brother and sister used to watch that show Dino Dan, and I just couldn't stay in the room when they had it on. Watching that kid was like looking into a brutally honest window into my childhood. :lol:

Welcome aboard! You're probably a rarity around here in terms of how few of the Japanese films you've seen. There are plenty of people here who haven't seen them all, but very few who've only seen six. Which of those is your favorite so far?
Haha, I feel that! But at the same time, I don't know that I ever 100% grew out of this phase... sometimes an unsolicited dino fact still escapes, though it's usually followed now by, "Don't quote me on that, the science might have changed since I last read up." :lol:

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I've been slacking on getting caught up. I never had any exposure to the Japanese films when I was younger and I've found them a bit of a pain to get a hold of on Blu-ray in the UK (if any UK forum-goers know where I can get them, hit me up ;) ). Of the Japanese films I've seen so far, I've loved '54 and Shin; they never lose sight of their themes, the devastation feels genuinely horrific and Godzilla's metaphorical significance always feels focused. They're easily my favourites of what I've watched so far. I love GMK Goji's design and presence and also liked Baragon in this film (so cute!), but I found the movie messy overall; to me, it felt like the fantasy feel of the guardian monsters clashed with the war atrocity origin of Godzilla and the final battle outstayed its welcome for me. The anime series was a slog and I could feel myself checking out for most of it. I didn't really like any of the characters except Metphies and didn't really care about the fate of anyone. The final third of Planet Eater was the most interesting part of the anime for me... but even then, only in a vague way.

I want to tackle some of the goofier Showa offerings to get my hero Godzilla fix next, but I'm also looking forward to getting into the Heisei films because those plots sound right up my street. If anyone's got any recommendations, I'm all ears! :)

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Welcome, Tytyvyllvs!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Welcome, Tytyvylls! Glad to have you!

and dont worry, I also prefer good guy Godzilla. :wink:

RIP Evan.

Gojirahkiin
Young Farmer

Post by Gojirahkiin »

Hi everyone! I'm Gojirahkiin. On most sites people call me Goji, but my gut tells me that'd just get confusing here. :D I've been a lurker for a very long time: in my first memory of this site there were still only around 10 or so KWC matches.

Anyway, I've been a big Godzilla fan for as long as I can remember, and I've finally decided to join the forums since this is my main stop for all things Godzilla related. I'm also a big fan of the KWC and have been a regular reader for as long as I've been coming here.

Some other tidbits about me include that I've owned 7 dogs over the course of my life, I've seen every Godzilla movie except for 2 of them (albeit mostly the dubbed versions), and I'm prone to writing silly fanfiction, sometimes Godzilla related, and sometimes not.
FatBaconUnicorn wrote:Cats, Pacific Rim & Jurassic World were disturbed by Toho, so I demand matchs where the fight take places in those universes

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Welcome in out of the cold, Gojirahkiin! :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SoggyNoodles2016

Welcome, Gojirahkiin! as a fellow ex lurker, great to have another around!

What 2 Godzilla movies are left for you? I got Megalon and OG Vs Mechagodzilla.

Anyhow, Hope to see you around a lot!

Added in 1 minute 27 seconds:
also, adoring you icon. :lol:

RIP Evan.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Welcome Gojirahkiin! I just recently watched my last two Godzilla movies myself: G84 and vs Biollante. Though I suppose I could only count KKvG as half a movie as I can't stand the editing on the American DVD release, so I'd like to get my hands on a subbed version that doesn't spam the Creature From the Black Lagoon music in place of the original soundtrack. :roll:

Anyway, have fun!

Gojirahkiin
Young Farmer

Post by Gojirahkiin »

The only 2 movies I've never seen are Godzilla Raids Again (never had simultaneous access and time) and the 3rd anime movie (because I couldn't take any more disappointment). Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
FatBaconUnicorn wrote:Cats, Pacific Rim & Jurassic World were disturbed by Toho, so I demand matchs where the fight take places in those universes

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Gojirahkiin wrote:Hi everyone! I'm Gojirahkiin. On most sites people call me Goji, but my gut tells me that'd just get confusing here. :D I've been a lurker for a very long time: in my first memory of this site there were still only around 10 or so KWC matches.

Anyway, I've been a big Godzilla fan for as long as I can remember, and I've finally decided to join the forums since this is my main stop for all things Godzilla related. I'm also a big fan of the KWC and have been a regular reader for as long as I've been coming here.

Some other tidbits about me include that I've owned 7 dogs over the course of my life, I've seen every Godzilla movie except for 2 of them (albeit mostly the dubbed versions), and I'm prone to writing silly fanfiction, sometimes Godzilla related, and sometimes not.
Great time to join! Welcome to TK!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

MosuraTwin
Ronin

Post by MosuraTwin »

Hello! I've been a fan of King Kong (1933) and Gojira (1954) for many years. I had seen Mosura a long time ago, but have only just started watching the films in order. Recently I watched Kingu Kongu tai Gojira, Mosura tai Gojira and Kingu Gidora. I have also seen the two most recent Hollywood films. It will be wonderful to talk with other Kaiju fans while exploring this large filmography!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Welcome, MosuraTwin! I hope you really enjoy your journey through the films!

Maranatha!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

MosuraTwin wrote:Hello! I've been a fan of King Kong (1933) and Gojira (1954) for many years. I had seen Mosura a long time ago, but have only just started watching the films in order. Recently I watched Kingu Kongu tai Gojira, Mosura tai Gojira and Kingu Gidora. I have also seen the two most recent Hollywood films. It will be wonderful to talk with other Kaiju fans while exploring this large filmography!
Welcome! It's always cool seeing new (or newish, in your case) just starting to explore this huge genre for the first time, when most of us here have long since seen them all and become entrenched in our opinions. Looking forward to seeing your fresh first impressions as you go along!
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MosuraTwin
Ronin

Post by MosuraTwin »

JAGzilla wrote:
MosuraTwin wrote:Hello! I've been a fan of King Kong (1933) and Gojira (1954) for many years. I had seen Mosura a long time ago, but have only just started watching the films in order. Recently I watched Kingu Kongu tai Gojira, Mosura tai Gojira and Kingu Gidora. I have also seen the two most recent Hollywood films. It will be wonderful to talk with other Kaiju fans while exploring this large filmography!
Welcome! It's always cool seeing new (or newish, in your case) just starting to explore this huge genre for the first time, when most of us here have long since seen them all and become entrenched in our opinions. Looking forward to seeing your fresh first impressions as you go along!
Thank you! Kaiju Daisenso is next.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

To the newcomers

Accept the good.......but prepare for the worst.

Take this....*wooden opinion sword*

It's dangerous to go out into TK alone.

ljacone
Ronin

Post by ljacone »

Hello everyone! My name is ljacone, I have been a Godzilla and giant monster fan for about 35 years, ever since I saw Godzilla, King of the Monsters on VHS when I was 4. Giant monsters have been my favorite pop culture fandom for that entire time, and I do not foresee that changing any time soon. Looking forward to discussing daikaiju with everyone.

I also produce a daikaiju podcast, Earth Destruction Directive, which can be found at http://twotruefreaks.com/shows.php?show=9 . The link is in my signature as well.

Thanks, and Keep 'em stompin'!
Keep 'em stompin'!

Please check out my daikaiju podcast Earth Destruction Directive!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Hello there!
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ljacone wrote:Hello everyone! My name is ljacone, I have been a Godzilla and giant monster fan for about 35 years, ever since I saw Godzilla, King of the Monsters on VHS when I was 4. Giant monsters have been my favorite pop culture fandom for that entire time, and I do not foresee that changing any time soon. Looking forward to discussing daikaiju with everyone.

I also produce a daikaiju podcast, Earth Destruction Directive, which can be found at http://twotruefreaks.com/shows.php?show=9 . The link is in my signature as well.

Welcome! i'll be around to check your podcast eventually. It's always nice seeing new faces :)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

ljacone wrote:Hello everyone! My name is ljacone, I have been a Godzilla and giant monster fan for about 35 years, ever since I saw Godzilla, King of the Monsters on VHS when I was 4. Giant monsters have been my favorite pop culture fandom for that entire time, and I do not foresee that changing any time soon. Looking forward to discussing daikaiju with everyone.

Welcome! Always nice to get new people :)

RIP Evan.