Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Gojira1604 »

4000th reply.
Um Stranger Things & JW Dominion & latest 2 Disney Plus Star Wars shows were boring.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Gojira1604 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:58 am 4000th reply.
Um Stranger Things & JW Dominion & latest 2 Disney Plus Star Wars shows were boring.
Agreed on everything but Stranger Things.

Then again, I went into Stranger Things 4 with fairly blank expectations after the standard-issue 2nd and 3rd seasons. I was pleasantly surprised to see S4 return to and arguably exceed the heights of S1. It seems like the Duffer Bros might be actual filmmakers, in the sense that they want to listen to criticism and improve their work, and not just do the typical 'well screw the fans and the feedback, we're doing just fine' type of mentality.

They didn't pursue the ill-advised spin-off show that was back-door piloted in S2, and then they have made S4 a dramatic improvement over the last 2 seasons. So it has become good entertainment again.

JW Dominion is a fun, mindless dinosaur film. However it just re-affirms that Jurassic Park was one of those perfect films that really shouldn't have been given sequels. There are highs and lows in the sequels, but they are each their own kind of mixed bag...and the original was so perfect, and needed no follow-up. Not unlike The Matrix.

For Disney Star Wars, everything outside of Rogue One and The Mandalorian has basically been of no net value. Heck, even with Mandalorian...I know I will get excited for S3 with teases of More Luke or this or that....but overall I am just not nearly as dedicated of a fan to Star Wars as I ever was before.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Gojira1604 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:58 am 4000th reply.
Disliking Jurassic World? Disney Star Wars? Stranger Things?

Where do you go on the internet that this isn't the popular opinion? XD

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Gojira1604 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:58 amJW Dominion
It's apparently been that way since Fallen Kingdom. Where you been those four years. :P

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

KFC, and crispy fried chicken in general, tastes better cold than hot.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:06 am KFC, and crispy fried chicken in general, tastes better cold than hot.
That's an unpopular opinion???

I'd have assumed it was universally agreed upon.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jailhouse Rock is Elvis’ best song. Yup, better than Hound Dog and Blue Suede Shoes. It’s just so catchy and upbeat, and it makes me feel warm inside. Quintessential rock n’ roll.
For Emperor and Empire!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Arnold is a complete miscast in Total Recall, his whole character arch is supposed to be an everyman, someone you could buy wanting more in life, and also easily see being a secret agent. Casting Arnold just makes this aspect seem goofy. On one hand it’s hard to believe his character is looking for more when he’s a mountain of muscle and married to Sharon Stone. I understand looks aren’t everything and this is kind of petty, almost anyone can have thoughts and self desires of greener grass, he’s still a construction worker and that doesn’t exclude grandeurs of greater life. However, he him being Mr Olympia (irl) makes the Everyman angle just feel really tonally inconsistent (doesn’t really help the spy angle either). On top of this, casting him has other adverse affects to the movie, with the same tonal dissidence passing over to the fight scenes (Arnold is getting his butt handed to him by a 130 lbs woman, really?). Furthermore, I think this is performance is particularly bland and dry, I know Arnold was never known for his acting, but I find it almost grating. An action hero in the Bruce Willis archetype would probably have served the film much better.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Oh boy, Total Recall…

Okay, I got a bit of a a massive unpopular opinion here. Remember that remake from like 2011 or so?

… I actually enjoyed it, a lot.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

The baby gorilla's death in Tarzan was sadder than the death of Bambi's mother.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Disney should try do do deaths of family members who aren't parents more often. i.e Siblings or even one's children.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:17 pm ^Disney should try do do deaths of family members who aren't parents more often. i.e Siblings or even one's children.
In this day of age where Disney no longer takes those risks as they did back then.

Ha! Doubt that'll ever be the case.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:17 pm ^Disney should try do do deaths of family members who aren't parents more often. i.e Siblings or even one's children.
Siblings being a subject of death already happened. Big Hero 6 has the main protag's big brother dying in an explosion.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I don't give a flying fig about 99% of Disney movies. I'm *kinda* not counting Marvel and Star Wars (though I don't care for most of what they've done with those two properties) because, thank god, there's a part of my brain that still registers them as things that aren't just labels for Disney product.
I know there's some great stuff they did over almost 100 years and all, but I was never a Disney fan like some people, and the older I get the creepier I find Disney superfans.
Imagine being obsessed with decades old branded property made by a company that basically holds a monopoly, has a mascot recognized around the world, where most examples of said property are aimed at children.
uh oh wait a minute
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Marlin's wife in Finding Nemo is another example. Or Abuela's husband in Encanto. Both were also parents, but their relationship with their spouse was what the movies focused on. Then there was Carl's wife in Up. I guess there aren't many siblings or kids that die in these movies, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:23 pm Imagine being obsessed with decades old branded property made by a company that basically holds a monopoly, has a mascot recognized around the world, where most examples of said property are aimed at children.
uh oh wait a minute
Damn bro. We were hypocrites the whole time.. :cry:

TBH As much as the Walt Disney Company sucks, I mostly try to look past it and don't watch the LA Remake stuff. The people who work for Disney's Animation studio aren't the ones making the terrible decisions that the heads are, and all of them seem like genuinely nice people. I dunno, as long as they can make a film that intrigues me, I'll eventually watch it. Maybe it won't be in theatres, and maybe it won't entirely stick to landing, but I'll at least try to get around to it. But that doesn't mean I won't try scouting out other animation studios to look into either, but let's be real, when it comes to the U.S at least, it really does boil down to just Disney, Pixar, DreamWorks, Sony and.. Netflix, sort of. (Considering how Netflix is treating their animation department though, I'm not holding my breathe when it comes to them)

And quite honestly, as someone who's a fan of Jurassic Park, another franchise which its parent company has turned into a massive cashgrab that rules the dinosaur film land with an iron fist, I'm pretty being hypocritical every time I call out Disney for doing the same for western animation. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I think my problem with a lot of modern television is one of excess. Whether it's in the explicit nature of these works (ouroboric sex and violence in the name of "adult entertainment"), or the bloated narratives many shows seem to balloon into, I find there's often too much. Even those that are largely well crafted tend to fall into a category of overexposing their premise and characters, simply because they can and they need more episodes. While the long form entertainment may be argued to be the visual equivalent of exceptionally long narrative novels and episodic book series, I've grown fond of film's ability to function without overindulgence, and retain stories told in tight frameworks. The limitation of narrative length of even the longest movies can still provide an air of mystery that is often lost in television. I think my greatest issue with this, is that these long run times lead to shows exclusively leaning into explicit narrative development, forgoing the more transcendental aspects of cinema. The long past between two characters is now four episodes in the series (perhaps even well executed), instead of a few minutes of well crafted scenes that utilize non-narrative elements to communicate their relationship. Of course the irony of me posting this on a board for a 60 plus year old franchise is not lost on me, and I do enjoy certain shows (both long form narrative and the more episodic which skirt this issue more-or-less), so call me a hypocrite if you will, but these are my thoughts.

It's also past my bedtime, so that's enough rambling for the night.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think that's why you don't see near as many 20+ episode seasons anymore. Most shows these days sit between 8 to 13 episodes. There seems to be a concerted effort to make shows faster paced and more easily digestible (and of course easier to binge watch).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I enjoy RWBY. Not just Volume 1-3, and think the later volumes are quite enjoyable in their own right.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I can't lie.. for a film many consider Pixar's best, I can't help but feel like Up is kind of overrated.

Now don't get me qrong, the opening scene is BEAUTIFUL. Absolutely tear jerking in every sense, and you feel for Carl. But the rest of the film just can't live up to it. Everything beyond that is just "okay." Carl is an okay main protagonist, Russell is an alright sidekick , Dug (or was it Doug?) is an unfunny comic relief, the bird hunt is super uninteresting, Charles Muntz is an underwhelming villain..

I honestly had more fun with every film Pixar has released in the 2020's than I did with Up.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.