Most Toxic Fandom?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.

What do you think is the most toxic fandom?

Any sports team (specify below)
6%
Star Wars
24%
Star Trek
2%
Marvel
5%
DC
2%
Lord of the Rings/Middle-Earth
No votes
Harry Potter
3%
Game of Thrones/Song of Ice and Fire
No votes
My Little Pony
3%
Transformers
2%
Rick and Morty
3%
Steven Universe
6%
Call of Duty
No votes
Pokemon
3%
Sonic the Hedgehog
3%
Simpsons
No votes
Family Guy
No votes
South Park
2%
Dragon Ball
No votes
Naruto
No votes
Sword Art Online
No votes
This one... (Godzilla/Kaiju)
21%
Other (comment below)
17%

Total votes: 66

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Most Toxic Fandom?

Post by Gojira1604 »

My Hero Academia fans bullied my little brother out of the middle school anime club because he liked a different anime to their's, the most popular one there. Then again it could just be a local problem.
Luckily my little brother's a strong willed lad so they didn't affect him but he also had to leave if the place was that toxic.
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gojira1604 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:14 pm My Hero Academia fans bullied my little brother out of the middle school anime club because he liked a different anime to their's, the most popular one there. Then again it could just be a local problem.
Luckily my little brother's a strong willed lad so they didn't affect him but he also had to leave if the place was that toxic.
Tell your little bro that he doesn’t need their club. That club is cringe 8-)
For Emperor and Empire!

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Gojira1604 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:14 pm My Hero Academia fans bullied my little brother out of the middle school anime club because he liked a different anime to their's, the most popular one there. Then again it could just be a local problem.
What a bunch of dumbsucks. So, for the record, what anime does your little brother like?

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

H-Man wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:52 pm
What a bunch of dumbsucks. So, for the record, what anime does your little brother like?
Jojo mostly among many others now.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojira1604 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:16 pm Jojo mostly among many others now.
So they're just jealous that your brother has better taste? :P

I'm kidding. I think both Jojo and Boku No Hero are good animes. However, it's clear that Jojo is a very distinctive story and My Hero mostly just does Shonen Tropes really well. It's a shame that people would actively be hostile though to something so good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If not number 1, this one is at least in the top-five. Realistically, I think the sports fandom reigns supreme in toxicity. Just making a smart guess.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:39 pm If not number 1, this one is at least in the top-five. Realistically, I think the sports fandom reigns supreme in toxicity. Just making a smart guess.
I don't know that "sports fandom" collectively really counts as a single "fandom" in this context. That would be sort of like if we just said, "music fandom" or "movie fandom."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, there's a reason it says (specify below) in the poll option.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

eabaker wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:43 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:39 pm If not number 1, this one is at least in the top-five. Realistically, I think the sports fandom reigns supreme in toxicity. Just making a smart guess.
I don't know that "sports fandom" collectively really counts as a single "fandom" in this context. That would be sort of like if we just said, "music fandom" or "movie fandom."
NFL fans.

Ya' never see Nascar fans riot.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:50 am Ya' never see Nascar fans riot.
They just fly Confederate flags and use the n word.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:32 am
Let's be honest here... Football fans do too.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:50 am
Right. My implication wasn't that football/NFL fans are saints (that's only the New Orleans team), but rather that the NASCAR fanbase has a notoriously toxic and disgusting history.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:52 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:50 am

Right. My implication wasn't that football/NFL fans are saints (that's only the New Orleans team), but rather that the NASCAR fanbase has a notoriously toxic and disgusting history.
Well, yeah. It's the national pastime for Trump voters.

Quote of the Year:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I know this is getting quite off-topic, but since I brought it up in the first place, I'd also like to say I commend the NASCAR organization for doing better over the last few years in cracking down on racism in the sport and fanbase. And of course I know there are non-racist NASCAR fans as well.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

Not even close. This fanbase can certainly be annoying at times, especially when tastes differ, but here are some "highlights" of other fandoms:
Honkai Impact 3rd Chinese fanbase: A disgruntled Chinese fan tried to stab the developers of the game over a Bunny Girl costume being exclusive to the West. Thankfully, he was arrested before managing to do so.
Undertale fandom: A random fan tried gave a fanartist some food with a razor blade inside it, presumably to kill them over a bloody ship the artist liked to draw.
Star Wars fandom: Practically half of the cast members of these damn films and shows get disgusting amounts of harassment by fans. Kelly Marie Tran and Moses Ingram (I don't think John Boyega was ever directly harassed, but I'm unsure about that) got lots of racial hatespeech directed at them. Jake Lloyd was bullied for years due to his role as young Anakin, and has turned out poorly as a result. Ahmed Best considered suicide over the harassment directed at him. And these are just the stories that have been told.
A surprising amount of animated series's fandoms: I cannot count the number of times I have heard stories about some fandom sending death threats to the creators of the shows they supposedly love over shipping nonsense. A prominent example is My Hero Academia.
Sport fans: read the rest of this page. They also tend to riot if the team they like loses. You also mentioned it, for good reason.
K-pop fans: Many of the fans of various bands send death threats to those who dislike said bands.
Pokemon fandom: I vaguely recall someone attempting to falsely claim on Twitter a little bit before Sword & Shield released that the series director had raped them, apparently in a bid to try and punish them for not including every Pokemon in the games. This was condemned by the fandom at large, but it still happened nonetheless, even if it amounted to nothing in the end.
Super Smash Bros Competitive scene: Oftentimes, if a character is considered uncool, the members of the community will harass players of that character to the point that they often consider leaving the community (this is a problem in both the Ultimate and Melee competitive scenes). Worse however, is the fact that there was a widespread issue of grooming children. Thankfully, many of the ones doing said grooming were kicked out of the community, though there is no way to be sure that every single one who did was kicked out.

And however many more.

Though, I suppose the Godzilla content creators grooming kids is definitely terrible too. Unfortunately, there are just other fandoms that manage to limbo under that extraordinarily low bar to be even more toxic. Like actively trying to kill people.
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If your examples only involve a single person, that's not really indicative of an entire fandom.

Fropston
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fropston »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:32 pm If your examples only involve a single person, that's not really indicative of an entire fandom.
Fair, but most of the time the solo actions were more extreme individuals acting on severely negative online rhetoric, like with the Chinese Honkai Impact community being negative enough for the developers to cancel the Bunny Girl event in the West, Undertale's fandom is (or at least was, I am less certain about now, since it's been years since I engaged with it) notorious for toxic rhetoric, Pokemon has become notorious in recent years for toxic online rhetoric, and most of the other examples were "collaborative efforts".
(Less) Rare poster. :pelops2:

Scribelord
Ronin

Post by Scribelord »

I mean our fandom can be toxic, Wikizilla was hella toxic when it started considering they literally vandalized the fandom instead of, you know, just leaving to make a different site, like genuinely what was the point of doing that other than pure spite.

Gojipedia has had bad times too, the whole MV issue was pretty big and I'm not gonna deny it I was a pretty big cause of it but hey thats in the past and life is about improvement and were considered "the bad" one of the 3, which we are bad but let's not pick favorites they all have issues

Not too sure about here but seems like it's very restrictive as of recent since this comment needed to get approved assuming it goes up so maybe something bad happened, we can relate we had a rogue mod awhile back (he specifically targeted me, dude was a douche)

As for non Godzilla I heard Star Wars has a bunch of man children running their fandom who delete posts based off bias or the MCU Fandom which honestly really sucked, they are far too restrictive with what they allow and it kills any semblance of creativity, the Marvel Fandom has basically the same issue but I have more respect for them since they didn't just delete my post with NO EXPLANATION WHATSOEVER, like seriously how am I supposed to know whats wrong if there isn't any form of warning? Terribly run and I just couldn't stand staying in that fandom
Last edited by Scribelord on Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

The Star Trek fandom gets pretty toxic in a superiority complex kind of way. You may not get death threats, but they will treat you like you're mentally stunted if you say anything positive about the Abrams movies or if you like Nemesis.

Yugioh: If you play mystic mine once, say goodbye to making friends. Even though it's a completely legal card, the fanbase gets made you prefer playing a slow Turtle like deck when everyone else wants to play fast paced combo deck that uses half a deck per turn.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.