Official News topic

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Official News topic

Post by shadowgigan »

Sorry, that was rude of me, I shouldn’t have worded that way. I will edit my statement and retract it. An interesting thing is that they just granted cert I’m Moore v Harper. If you guys think this is crazy, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I can’t imagine what the fallout from that case will be.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

shadowgigan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:47 pm Sorry, that was rude of me, I shouldn’t have worded that way. I will edit my statement and retract it. An interesting thing is that they just granted cert I’m Moore v Harper. If you guys think this is crazy, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I can’t imagine what the fallout from that case will be.
Oof, yeah, a strong precedent on redistricting could have all kinds of ripples, many of them quite unpredictable down the line...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

America celebrates her 4th of July the only way she knows how!

Another mass shooting!

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I want to say something, but there is nothing left to say that hasn't been said. I wonder if we will see a more militarized society in response.

Anyone know what the symbol he used in his video is? Looks vaguely like a swatsika variant? I always say, if I see one of these symbols in public, I am bailing. I dont even mean that as a joke. I am getting tf out of there. I dont care how stupid I look.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I really want to know what was up with that guy. Seriously, why did have to do this? Why today? What motivated him to do this?
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:46 pm I really want to know what was up with that guy. Seriously, why did have to do this? Why today? What motivated him to do this?
He likely despises liberal democracy and the freedoms we enjoy as a result, he likely believes he knows better. This is the perfect day for something like that.

They have some weird belief in their heads that everyone can and should be controlled, and in their own deluded mind they somehow believe they will be the one doing the controlling
Last edited by shadowgigan on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:35 pm
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:46 pm I really want to know what was up with that guy. Seriously, why did have to do this? Why today? What motivated him to do this?
He likely despises liberal democracy and the freedoms we enjoy as a result, he likely believes he knows better. This is the perfect day for something like that.

They have some weird belief in their heads that everyone can and should be controlled, and in their own deluded mind they somehow believe they will be the one doing the controlling
What guy?

Added in 9 minutes 18 seconds:
On this day, I wish to tell my American friends that they have my sympathies in these troubled times for your nation. May the future be brighter.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

It'd be absolutely outstanding if this would be the final straw. But I highly doubt it.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:50 pm

It'd be absolutely outstanding if this would be the final straw. But I highly doubt it.
That would honestly be great and extremely optimistic, unfortunately it's unlikely to be the last as thing's are progressively getting worse in the U.S. all around. I wouldn't be surprised if more madness and chaos comes in the future.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:00 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:47 pm Sorry, that was rude of me, I shouldn’t have worded that way. I will edit my statement and retract it. An interesting thing is that they just granted cert I’m Moore v Harper. If you guys think this is crazy, you ain’t seen nothing yet. I can’t imagine what the fallout from that case will be.
Oof, yeah, a strong precedent on redistricting could have all kinds of ripples, many of them quite unpredictable down the line...
It's actually even bigger than that, although it does include redistricting. If the majority of the Supreme Court takes the very literal and concrete view of the constitution espoused by the "independent state legislature doctrine" that they are expected to take, then it is game over. This would give the ruling party of the state legislature in every state COMPLETE control over the state and federal elections held in their state with absolutely no oversight. Of course this favors Republicans as they are the majority power in thirty state legislatures, but it doesn't exempt Democrats from authoritarian power grabs in the seventeen states they hold a majority in either.

Americans, whether they are Republican, Democrat, Libertarian, Green, any other third party, independent, are a citizen of any sort, etc. should be terrified of this ruling if it goes down the way it is expected to. The ruling party in each state legislature will be able to make up any rules for elections in their state that they want to with absolutely no legal recourse to oppose it. No checks and balances from the other branches of government, positions which are sometimes elected or appointed by a differing party. They will be allowed to throw out ballots, remain as the ruling party forever, install their party in the elected position of Governor if it is a differing party, and vote however they want in the electoral college. It will allow for complete subversion of the will of the people if it goes against the ruling party of the state legislature.

It is NOT hyperbole to say that the ruling the court makes in Moore v. Harper could be the end of American democracy as Americans have known it since the Voting Rights Act of 1965 and possibly even the end of American democracy in totality.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^maybe if more of us Americans participated at the state level this wouldn't be such a bad thing. I'm not in love with my governor but she's doing everything she can to protect us from the SCOTUS ruling.

Boris Johnson is stepping down. Cheers!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

SHINZO ABE HAS BEEN SHOT!!!
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:20 pm SHINZO ABE HAS BEEN SHOT!!!
Jesus Christ, it’s like with each year of gets worse and worse. I hope Shinzo recovers from the shot

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

What has gotten into people? Of all the things you could choose to do with your day, I just don't get it. Hope he is OK but it doesn't sound good.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

This one is actually pretty shocking, because shooting's like this are actually super rare when it comes to Japan from what I hear. Apparently they already got someone in custody, so I imagine we're going to get the full story in the next couple of days. Hopefully Abe manages to survive the shot.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Sadly he didn't make it. Literally just confirmed. Suspect claims it was not politically motivated.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched this unfold the instant it happened. The idea that it's not politically motivated is utter BS, because the assassin said that he was "dissatisfied with Abe's job". Abe is a pretty controversial figure in Japanese politics. He's one of the few PM's that has stayed as a PM for a long time (many frequently change), and he has a lot of personality and things he personally led. That being said, he recently started spouting essentially a bunch of pro-war/raising Japan's defenses things, and I think that might have sparked the assassin to attack. He was apparently a former JDSF marine member, so that was a part of it. Abe isn't the current Japanese PM, but still holds a considerable amount of political clout in the leading Japanese party. A lot of people also dislike him because he sort of abandoned the PMship during the early stages of the corona-crisis, rather than carry out his duty. That was for health reasons, but he seems to be able to appear now.

Worth noting that Abe was in a crowd of people, and the killer strictly killed Abe. He didn't kill anyone else, which makes it seem more targeted.

We'll find more out later.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

This makes me incredibly sad. RIP Mr Abe.

I hope justice is dealt accordingly. No way this ain’t politically motivated.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Well good freakin morning. What a story to wake up to. I didn't know he was making appearances again. Guy was certainly controversial but you never wanna see anyone get shot.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:48 am Sadly he didn't make it. Literally just confirmed. Suspect claims it was not politically motivated.
Not the story I'm getting. The shooter's name is Tetsuya Yamagami, who straight up admitted he had hatred toward a certain group (he didn't specify what group though) which he apparently thought Abe was linked to. Whatever the case, this is horrible news. R.I.P Mr. Abe.

One of Japan's foreign ministers also straight up said that this would be Japan's variation of JFK's assassination. Make that of what you will.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!