What ruined your day?

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Online
User avatar
Mac Daddy MM
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4017
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I was told there was a discussion about jerking off versus abortion in here, and I was ready to come in here and troll the poop out of this thread and then realized its a legit debate with actual points being made. Thus, I can not troll.

This ruined my day.

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6401
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:00 pm While I don't think Jagzilla agrees with this, this is all very frustrating because people who spout how abortion is murder, suddenly freeze up when other situations are brought up. Usually the same people who espouse anti-abortion rhetoric are the same people that are pro capital punishment, turn a blind eye to police brutality and shootings, and devalue human life from War, to poverty and other conflicts. I could respect pro-life people more if they weren't so picky and choosy, but all of it is about controlling women's bodies. I've known religious people, who are pro-choice, because they understand their convictions are different than others.
It wouldn't bother me so much if pro-lifers did or said anything to try to mitigate the damage that outlawing abortion would entail. I have yet to see a single pro-lifer (here included) advocate for increased access to contraceptives, or improving our sex education system, or increased welfare coverage, or financial nutrition assistance programs, or paid family leave, or closing the cavernous wage gap.

FFS, most pro-lifers I've seen are deathly afraid of universal healthcare or financial/food support for needy families, because that would be socialism. Remember when pro-life politicians in 2019 cut the budget for WIC and SNAP, further screwing over god-knows-how many low-income families? You'd think that people of Christ would be stronger advocates of feeding the poor and helping the needy.

It's not about saving lives. It's about controlling them.
They absolutely could have codified it when Obama had a majority, which he promised he would do but then just didnt.
Going back to this point, the first time we ever had a pro-choice majority in the House was 2018. By then, Trump was already in office. So, no, Dems couldn't ever codify it.
He/him/his
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.

I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.
G2000 wrote:What is a pride parade but a loud and public assertion that Christianity is no longer the dominant moral force in America?
#Pro-Choice #ACAB #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

User avatar
JAGzilla
Keizer
Posts: 9815
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by JAGzilla »

The lack of free healthcare in this country is particularly asinine. Call it socialism or Naziism or Buddhism or whatever the skreeonk you want, if I can walk into an eye clinic and get Lasik without having to fork over a few paychecks, I'll take it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

User avatar
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5743
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Terasawa »

"Male ejaculation is murder" is an absolutely moronic position. If you count the "death" of a single sperm as murder, then, by that skewed logic, you have to view the act of conception itself as genocide: what the skreeonk (pun intended) do you think happens to the millions of sperms that don't fertilize the egg?

A "potential future baby" is not a life. Something that does not exist does not have life and therefore isn't entitled to the same rights as a living human being. Argue that a fetus deserves the same rights as its mother, sure, I get that; but this whole masturbation angle seems like a deflection from the real issue that was being discussed.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

User avatar
Major sssspielberg!
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1746
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:28 am
They absolutely could have codified it when Obama had a majority, which he promised he would do but then just didnt.
Going back to this point, the first time we ever had a pro-choice majority in the House was 2018. By then, Trump was already in office. So, no, Dems couldn't ever codify it.
One of the things Obama ran on codifying Roe in 2008 IIRC, and then said that it wasn't really a priority once actually in office (because of division on the issue)
If I remember correctly the House was a dem majority back then, by a narrow margin but a majority nonetheless.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.
Gotschiller wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:28 am The only thing Singular Point related will be the new and exciting Yun Arikawa x Mei Kamino with a hint of Red Dust flavour hot sauce. Limited to 100 bottles!

User avatar
JAGzilla
Keizer
Posts: 9815
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by JAGzilla »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:40 am "Male ejaculation is murder" is an absolutely moronic position. If you count the "death" of a single sperm as murder, then, by that skewed logic, you have to view the act of conception itself as genocide: what the skreeonk (pun intended) do you think happens to the millions of sperms that don't fertilize the egg?

A "potential future baby" is not a life. Something that does not exist does not have life and therefore isn't entitled to the same rights as a living human being. Argue that a fetus deserves the same rights as its mother, sure, I get that; but this whole masturbation angle seems like a deflection from the real issue that was being discussed.
All of this is accurate. If it hasn't been clear, this was never a position I was seriously trying to hold; I even said earlier that I was trolling a little bit by even taking Spirit's bait. He's gotten exactly what he wanted: the whole conversation has been derailed and I'm being made out to be an idiot for even discussing a stupid idea he brought up in the first place.

For clarity's sake, I'll restate my original point: I understand and can agree with the reasons one might want to get an abortion, I just don't like seeing the concept sugar-coated. Whether the lump of cells is technically a living thing yet or not, you're (in most cases) getting the abortion in order to prevent it from becoming a living thing, which amounts to the same thing. Either way, there is a life or would have been a life that is being ended as a direct result of your choice. If you want to go through with it, fine. That's your call to make. More power to you. Just own up to it, is all.

If anyone is hung up on the term 'murder' and the legal ramifications thereof, I don't care. Call it whatever you want, but don't try to pretend the baby isn't dead. I get the impression that some outspoken pro-choice types (honestly not referring to anyone in particular) get kind of caught up in promoting the good sides of abortion and treat it as some positive, wholesome thing, and just lose sight of what it is at its core. That doesn't sit well with me.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

User avatar
miguelnuva
Justiriser
Posts: 16182
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by miguelnuva »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:58 am
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:28 am
They absolutely could have codified it when Obama had a majority, which he promised he would do but then just didnt.
Going back to this point, the first time we ever had a pro-choice majority in the House was 2018. By then, Trump was already in office. So, no, Dems couldn't ever codify it.
One of the things Obama ran on codifying Roe in 2008 IIRC, and then said that it wasn't really a priority once actually in office (because of division on the issue)
If I remember correctly the House was a dem majority back then, by a narrow margin but a majority nonetheless.
The senate wasn't a filibuster proof majority. You need both to due what Obama wanted.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

User avatar
Voyager
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Location: Fulda Gap

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Voyager »

We really need a debate thread.
The Voyager Cup is live! Feel free to join the fight, and have a chance at glory!
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=

“Out there in the dark, there’s a beckoning candle…”

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10777
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:51 am If anyone is hung up on the term 'murder' and the legal ramifications thereof, I don't care. Call it whatever you want, but don't try to pretend the baby isn't dead. I get the impression that some outspoken pro-choice types (honestly not referring to anyone in particular) get kind of caught up in promoting the good sides of abortion and treat it as some positive, wholesome thing, and just lose sight of what it is at its core. That doesn't sit well with me.
Except for some whacky-cherry picked people, I've never seen/heard of someone that's "happy" over abortions. What people want, and are happy for, is theoption. I've never met or seen anyone that was pro-choice that didn't view it as a last resort. Additionally, most, if not all, people who are pro-choice also advocate for safe-sex, IUDs, and a lot of other things. I've never seen or heard anyone say that "abortion is a good thing", just the option to have one is important and that's good. It's also in the title, "pro-choice": literally the woman's choice to decide to do what she wants with her body.

Added in 21 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:48 pm We really need a debate thread.
Absolutely not. These types of threads are annoying enough to read.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Voyager
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Location: Fulda Gap

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Voyager »

Now I can’t argue for the supremacy of Liberalism over all other forms of government and economics :cry:
That means I can’t write on how Fascism and Nazism are forms of Socialism, just not of the Marxist variety.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Voyager Cup is live! Feel free to join the fight, and have a chance at glory!
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=

“Out there in the dark, there’s a beckoning candle…”

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 10777
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:08 pm Now I can’t argue for the supremacy of Liberalism over all other forms of government and economics :cry:
That means I can’t write on how Fascism and Nazism are forms of Socialism, just not of the Marxist variety.
Now I've properly ruined your day. :twisted:
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Voyager
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm
Location: Fulda Gap

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Voyager »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:11 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:08 pm Now I can’t argue for the supremacy of Liberalism over all other forms of government and economics :cry:
That means I can’t write on how Fascism and Nazism are forms of Socialism, just not of the Marxist variety.
Now I've properly ruined your day. :twisted:
Dear God! He’s ruined my day!
Okay… uh… what can I do? Oh, I know!

You’re the antichrist!
The Voyager Cup is live! Feel free to join the fight, and have a chance at glory!
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=

“Out there in the dark, there’s a beckoning candle…”

User avatar
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer
Posts: 7672
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Hargenteen

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:31 am The lack of free healthcare in this country is particularly asinine. Call it socialism or Naziism or Buddhism or whatever the skreeonk you want, if I can walk into an eye clinic and get Lasik without having to fork over a few paychecks, I'll take it.
More like "evil". Corporations lobby to keep a better system in the dirt so they can make more money off the way things are. Evil. They profit off human suffering.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing easier to buy than an AR-15 is a Republican

User avatar
Major sssspielberg!
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1746
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:48 am

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Not to break up the conversation but there's a murderer interviewing a child abuser on Alec Baldwin's Instagram today
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.
Gotschiller wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:28 am The only thing Singular Point related will be the new and exciting Yun Arikawa x Mei Kamino with a hint of Red Dust flavour hot sauce. Limited to 100 bottles!

User avatar
LegendZilla
Keizer
Posts: 8726
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by LegendZilla »

I had a power outage in my local area for a couple hours.

User avatar
Executive Hamster
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 991
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:12 am
Location: Jacksonville
Contact:

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Executive Hamster »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:08 pm Now I can’t argue for the supremacy of Liberalism over all other forms of government and economics :cry:
That means I can’t write on how Fascism and Nazism are forms of Socialism, just not of the Marxist variety.
Dear god are these the two worst takes I have ever heard, and thats counting the dumbasses on r/Godzilla. Im glad there ISNT a debate thread because Id be throwing skreeonking fireballs.
Nazi punks can all die, and Lenin did nothing wrong.....

User avatar
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:22 pm
Location: Somewheeeere over the rainbow

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Jermobooka »

Call me “lazy” or “passive” or whatever you want, but I just cannot engage in any politics whatsoever and hate hearing about it. Having to pick between two garbage sides in an already strained and combative culture is not something I want to have to deal with.

Nuance is an impossibility for a lot on the American political spectrum and it’s incredibly aggravating.
Image

User avatar
Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6401
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:43 am
Location: AWACS Long Caster
Contact:

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:54 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:51 am If anyone is hung up on the term 'murder' and the legal ramifications thereof, I don't care. Call it whatever you want, but don't try to pretend the baby isn't dead. I get the impression that some outspoken pro-choice types (honestly not referring to anyone in particular) get kind of caught up in promoting the good sides of abortion and treat it as some positive, wholesome thing, and just lose sight of what it is at its core. That doesn't sit well with me.
Except for some whacky-cherry picked people, I've never seen/heard of someone that's "happy" over abortions. What people want, and are happy for, is theoption. I've never met or seen anyone that was pro-choice that didn't view it as a last resort. Additionally, most, if not all, people who are pro-choice also advocate for safe-sex, IUDs, and a lot of other things. I've never seen or heard anyone say that "abortion is a good thing", just the option to have one is important and that's good. It's also in the title, "pro-choice": literally the woman's choice to decide to do what she wants with her body.
Exactly this. During my time in Jersey, I became acquainted with two patients who had abortions (one for rape, the other for ectopic pregnancy). They both said the same thing; it was one of the most emotionally draining and traumatic experiences they have ever undergone. This is even before you factor in the venomous social stigma associated with such a procedure. In my social circle, others who knew abortion patients recounted the same thing. No one is saying that abortion is this magical cure-all without any downsides. But the key thing is that it's a necessary medical procedure.

If anyone is going to have blood on their hands, it's the so called pro-lifers who are about to subject potentially hundreds of thousands of women to their deaths per year. We're already getting reports of women in obstetric emergencies who are getting barred from the care they need. It's about to get alot worse.
He/him/his
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.

I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.
G2000 wrote:What is a pride parade but a loud and public assertion that Christianity is no longer the dominant moral force in America?
#Pro-Choice #ACAB #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

User avatar
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer
Posts: 11867
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The American Healthcare system allows people to die every damn day (many of them young children) because they can't afford basic healthcare. Those pro-life people don't have jack poop to say about that.

Added in 2 minutes 6 seconds:
I'm not focusing on anyone here so don't take that the wrong way.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

User avatar
JAGzilla
Keizer
Posts: 9815
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:45 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: What ruined your day?

Post by JAGzilla »

I see I've picked up a few more replies, but honestly I'm not going to read or reply to them. Sorry about that, I don't mean anything by it, but I've said what I have to say and I'm just completely done talking about this subject.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Post Reply