Unpopular Opinion Thread

For the discussion of topics not already covered by the other categories.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Unpopular Opinion Thread

Post by Spuro »

>_>

<_<

I'm gonna swing this unpopular opinion thread hard in the other direction. Have mercy on me.

*takes a deep breath in*

While the original King Kong is groundbreaking and deserves to be remembered for how it contributed to the language of film and the development of special effects, I think ultimately, at the end of the day, King Kong 2005 is the superior work as a story and film. Albeit, only by a narrow margin, but still.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
Gotengo Officer

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I don’t really care at all whether or not practical effects are in the Jurassic park series, sure they may look great, but end of the day practical effects didn’t make movie great, it’s the writing and even then I don’t really care if the writing sucks or not.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:11 pm >_>

<_<

I'm gonna swing this unpopular opinion thread hard in the other direction. Have mercy on me.

*takes a deep breath in*

While the original King Kong is groundbreaking and deserves to be remembered for how it contributed to the language of film and the development of special effects, I think ultimately, at the end of the day, King Kong 2005 is the superior work as a story and film. Albeit, only by a narrow margin, but still.
This is like a gag in a cartoon. I read this and the further I go the further my body whithers and decays into dust.

I don't like Jurassic World.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Voyager wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:41 pm
I don't like Jurassic World.
I have mixed feelings on that film too. Definitely a give and take in my mind.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm sick and tired of hearing about the new Spider-Man already. Between the memberberries, cheap multiverse bullshit, the 'jokes,' and the fact that Doc Ock's tentacles look visibly worse than they did in 2004... It wouldn't bother me if I didn't have to see and hear so many people talk about it like it's going to be some serious achievement of cinema and not just another generic CG fest.
Tldr it's fine to like that kinda thing but don't pretend it's filet mignon when it's really cotton candy
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ Just another time that the MCU has overridden so much. Kinda wish it ended at endgame.
For Emperor and Empire!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Not sure if this counts as unpopular but there's just some movies that don't need to be remade and left as they are.

Jaws notably being one. Knowing Hollywood today especially they'd just lazily resort to an obvious CGI shark rather than practical effects. Jaws is just one of those notable classics that needs to be left as it is because a remake is never going to top it but sadly I feel it's inevitable unfortunately...

This is also the same for "belated" sequels to 80s, 90s and early 2000s movies where franchises from those eras should just be left as they are especially when some of them had fine conclusions.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 am Not sure if this counts as unpopular but there's just some movies that don't need to be remade and left as they are.
That's an extremely popular opinion.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:25 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:02 am Not sure if this counts as unpopular but there's just some movies that don't need to be remade and left as they are.
That's an extremely popular opinion.
I think it's less of a popular opinion than it was 10 years ago. I remember when the idea of a Blade Runner sequel was blasphemous. Now some people I know genuinely consider 2049 better than the original.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Not sure if it comes off as unpopular but I'm really getting sick and tired of Hollywood doing this trend of "belated" sequels to 80s, 90s and early 2000s classics.

They need to leave the nostalgia in the past where it becomes especially when many of them had fine or satisfying conclusions and stick to making new IPs like John Wick, A Quiet Place, The Hitman's Bodyguard, and Nobody because more often then not these "belated" sequels tend to suck. Bill & Ted: Face the Music, Coming 2 America, the Jumanji sequels (Didn't hate them, I just didn't like them and felt they would of been better being their own IP instead of having been nothing like the first movie), and most likely than not Matrix 4.

There's been exceptions yes like Blade Runner and Bad Boys, Top Gun potentially seems promising since its in the hands of a good actor but more often then not these "belated" sequels tend to suck.

I just have this feeling Nostalgia is going to be the next big thing after superheroes. Joy can't wait until Hollywood tarnishes other classics like Back to the Future, Speed, Cobra and Tango & Cash! Especially with their woke agenda nowadays they keep putting into movies.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:52 am Not sure if it comes off as unpopular but I'm really getting sick and tired of Hollywood doing this trend of "belated" sequels to 80s, 90s and early 2000s classics.
Didn't you.. literally just make a post about this?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Gigantis wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 amDidn't you.. literally just make a post about this?
Oh skreeonk yes I did. Apparently forgotten the last sentence in my previous post above. :lol:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera is an abomination of an adaption that attempts to romanticize sexual predators, and it does so quiet successfully, I might, add, because for whatever reason this musical is popular as hell and completely overshadows the other, better adaptions.

The Phantom should not ever be sexualized, and neither should that kind of creepy incel behavior, but our fucked up patriarchal culture does everything in its power to teach young women that such things are actually "romantic."
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Unsure if its unpopular or not but I actually like spinosaurus' current life restoration more than the previous one. It makes it different and unique from all other theropod dinosaurs. Basically a crocodile but with a sail and longer limbs.

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:58 am Unsure if its unpopular or not but I actually like spinosaurus' current life restoration more than the previous one. It makes it different and unique from all other theropod dinosaurs. Basically a crocodile but with a sail and longer limbs.
Sometimes I get torn between my love of monsters and my love of weird animals in regards to the Spinosaurus. I always end up finding I prefer the "weird animal", given that it was a real animal. I find that things like JP3 and Monsters Resurrected overdo it to a huge degree.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:58 am Unsure if its unpopular or not but I actually like spinosaurus' current life restoration more than the previous one. It makes it different and unique from all other theropod dinosaurs. Basically a crocodile but with a sail and longer limbs.
Spino is one of my favorite dinosaurs. As much as I adore the large bipedal version we see in Jurassic Park III, I definitely love the new sort of crocodile/duck thing we've landed at.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:50 amSpino is one of my favorite dinosaurs. As much as I adore the large bipedal version we see in Jurassic Park III, I definitely love the new sort of crocodile/duck thing we've landed at.
Indeed. The way I especially see it. I basically always have seen spinosaurus as the grizzly bear of the Mesozoic but with the lifestyle of a crocodile especially given the current life restoration of its appearance.

Mostly ate large fish (Mind you was no joke being ancestors of sawfish that would have required a lot of muscle to pull out of rivers let alone catch) but when the opportunity arrived would also prey on terrestrial animals. Like a grizzly bear too would at times wait in the riverbanks for fish and use its massive size to steal kills from other predators.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Spuro wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:56 am
The Phantom should not ever be sexualized, and neither should that kind of creepy incel behavior, but our skreeonked up patriarchal culture does everything in its power to teach young women that such things are actually "romantic."
I agree Hollywood and larger western media has a problem with romanticizing/fetishizing inappropriate power dynamics, and disrespect for personal boundaries. But I do have a controversial question, so I hope it'll be allowed for the sake of at least exploring the concept. How much of this is male driven? The easy answer does appear to be that men dominate the media industry and therefore push stories which promote this kind of behavior, but I don't know if I'm completely satisfied with that answer (although I do agree it plays an important role in this dynamic). That being said, are there any instances where female writers or screenwriters also promote this perspective? I understand anyone can fall into clichés of an already established genre, but there must be something appealing about these aspects if the target audiences are still largely women. I fail to believe the appeal completely comes from cultural gaslighting of the female population. I guess I'm curious as to what extent the promotion and idealization of this behavior can be contributed exclusively to cultural forces, or if there are other factors which may be influencing this phenomena.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to argue that women innately want people to abuse and disrespect them, nor do I condone these types of behaviors.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

In regards to the above topic, I can't say for sure about any official media created by women, but it can be found plenty in horror fandoms. Women have wanted to fuck Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Jason Voorhees, werewolves, Dracula, Hannibal Lecter, Predator and Alien and other such for decades now. Horror has a HUGE female following and there's plenty of them that want to, well, like I said in my prior sentence. There's definitely an audience for it, whether people want it or not.

However healthy it is though is up to you decided, however.
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Give me the Abrams Star Trek trilogy over the entire rest of the franchise any day.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983