Ebay VS other places to sell figures

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Ebay VS other places to sell figures

Post by Petezilla »

The topic title says it all. I'm looking for a safe (!) alternative to ebay to sell some of my stuff. Ebay isn't anymore what it once was. At least here in Germany, where I reside. For example I have a SHMA Goji + Kong + MechaG set of 3 online right now with international shipping since like 6 weeks and it got less than 30 views in total. WTF...?! I got several other items and sets, too, but I don't want to waste €€ for listing them without selling or ending up selling them for super low prices, because obviously few people are even watching ebay anymore.

So are there any other good places to sell Godzilla figures besides ebay? Like FB groups with reliable (!) users? I want to make room, but it obviously doesn't work via ebay that good anymore, especially when your in Europe instead of the US... :?
Size DOES matter!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Ebay VS other places to sell figures

Post by canofhumdingers »

Have you tried Mercari? That seems to be a place people use in lieu of eBay. Etsy and Facebook groups too. I’ve personally not used any of those but I know people who have.

I just cleared out some of my collection a few days ago. I used to sell on eBay but this time I decided to try selling to a local collectibles store. I’m fortunate to have a really great vintage toy store about an hour away so I took my stuff there. I felt like the owner gave me a fair price. I’m sure I could have made more selling it on eBay, but I would have had to photograph, list, sell, and ship each item individually which would have taken literal days of my free time. By taking it to the local store I was able to sell it all in one fell swoop without any of the headaches or risks of eBay. Plus I helped support an awesome local business. To me the convenience was worth making a little less off it.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You could join my FB page, "The Godzilla Collectors Group". Over 5k members. Only snag might be your location considering shipping prices.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

These are all decent suggestions but basically the answer to your question is no. There is nowhere that is comparable to the “EBay of old” where you could easily list items, sell them at decent prices and have them seen by hundreds of not thousands of interested parties.

It’s really sad actually.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:33 am Have you tried Mercari? [...]
I have never heard of that, but I'll have a look at it! :)
canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:33 am I decided to try selling to a local collectibles store. I’m fortunate to have a really great vintage toy store about an hour away so I took my stuff there. [...]
By taking it to the local store I was able to sell it all in one fell swoop without any of the headaches or risks of eBay. Plus I helped support an awesome local business. To me the convenience was worth making a little less off it.
I'd actually consider doing that, too, but here in good old Germany you could count the number of such store sites with just the fingers of one hand. Plus, they're miles upon miles away from me. No option, unfortunately... :|

Legion1979 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:54 pm You could join my FB page, "The Godzilla Collectors Group". Over 5k members. Only snag might be your location considering shipping prices.
Thanks. I just send you a membership request for your group. If I'm lucky some folks from Europe or even Germany are dwelling there, too... 8-)

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:56 pm These are all decent suggestions but basically the answer to your question is no. There is nowhere that is comparable to the “EBay of old” where you could easily list items, sell them at decent prices and have them seen by hundreds of not thousands of interested parties.

It’s really sad actually.
It's beyond sad. Ebay as a whole is no fun to use anymore and I got a whole lot of my stuff from there back when I started collecting. Especially their prices and fees went through the roof in recent years, which obviously scared further folks away from them. Well at least it looks like it here where I live... :|
Size DOES matter!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Membership approved, Petezilla. Hopefully you'll find a buyer for your stuff.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Thank you, my friend ~ :g2k:
Size DOES matter!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yeah eBay is a shell of its former self. The massive fee increases and the new tax laws in the US (you now have to report anything over $600 in annual sales for federal income tax, previously it was $20,000) have absolutely decimated the site.

It’s really a shame because, as you point out, there really aren’t any true comparable alternatives.

Good luck with Facebook. I know tons of people who use that as their primary source for second hand sales now. Heck my wife buys, sells, and gives away stuff on FB all the time. Even local businesses post things for sale on FB around here.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Another issue with ebay is trying to buy anything from Japan. Does anyone know the reason why Japanese sellers want truly outrageous prices for everything? They're asking for hundreds if not thousands for many items that absolutely aren't worth that, such a Bandais.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I dunno, I see sellers from everywhere (not just Japan) list stuff for outrageous prices. I’ve never figured out the reason for it other than maybe they’re hoping someone is dumb enough to pay it? But I see plenty of Japanese sellers selling at fair prices too. So who knows?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I think they’re bot/scam sellers. A lot of those auctions are actually Buyee auctions from Yahoo Japan/Mercari/etc, which these people relist on eBay at ridiculous prices and then purchase from Japan if you are fooled into thinking the item is theirs and pay them. I filter by domestic sellers only when I use eBay as a result, or just use Buyee.

And yeah, selling is a real chore. The tax part in particular, not to mention how much you lose in fees. Dealing with entitled buyers and people who refuse to pay after winning auctions has become an increasing problem as well.
Last edited by Creature22 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

You're probably right.

All I know is that around 2010/11 it was ridiculously easy to find affordable 1980s/90s Bandai Ultramonster figures on ebay, both from Japanese and American sellers. Now anything even remotely desirable (especially if it's an older figure with a tag) is way outside the realm of affordability.

Same with much older vintage. Things that were reasonable 15 years ago are now going for nutty prices, into the thousands for things that are pretty common
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

But are they actually selling for those prices or are you just looking at listings? I see tons of nutty listing prices but rarely see stuff actually sell for significantly higher than market prices.

And of course, stuff IS going to cost more now than 15 years ago. But It shouldn’t be exponentially more like some of these listings are.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Oh nothing is selling. But the prices are infuriating regardless.

MoK 13
GPN Volunteer

Post by MoK 13 »

Hazawa-Gumi are ridicules on eBay
Godzilla Vs Megalon was my first in 1976, Damn I'm old.

We might get vaporized along with this base before long. Let’s just relax and have some coffee