Unpopular Kaiju Collecting Opinions

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Unpopular Kaiju Collecting Opinions

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Pretty simple topic. We gots one for general opinions, Godzilla opinions... So why not collecting?

I like the idea of the Godzilla vs. Kong Funko Pops and wish we'd get funkos of the classic Godzillas and kaiju. Funko Showa Gigan and Megalon would be amazing, as would a super-sized Biollante and Destoroyah.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Unpopular Kaiju Collecting Opinions

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I don't give a shit about repaints as long as it's different enough/the figure has been out of circulation long enough to justify it.

Blue finned GMK when I can't find any? Perfect.

Going full out on a retro deco for 1954? Awesome.

Literally releasing a Burning Godzilla months after opening pre-order for your Heisei? Nah.

RIP Evan.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:27 am I don't give a poop about repaints as long as it's different enough/the figure has been out of circulation long enough to justify it.
I wouldn't even say it's unpopular. The only people who get upset about reprints are scalpers and or people who feel like their piece of plastic looses value because it's easier to get a hold of now.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

MonsterArts is overrated. Though I'll agree opinions are slowly growing more negative with all the QC problems over the last several years. I only have one and with only a couple exceptions have not bothered with another. Which kinda sucks because Figuarts is fantastic. Then again shelf presence is a huge thing for me, which most MonsterArts lack.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

For the vinyl figures, I prefer 6 inch scale wayyyyy over the old 8 inch scale. Especially since older vinyls like the 84 Ghidorah scale great with 6 inch Godzillas rather than the 8 inch figures it was supposed to scale with. Plus they're smaller which means more room for more figures on my shelf.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Bendy wire tails are not bad and can be executed well while to many ball joints in a tail can be bad.

If the tail has so many ball joints that it can't holdany pose except flat on the ground, you don't have an articulated tail.

Effects parts are important when it's iconic to the character, such as Godzilla's blue Atomic effect or a blonde girl with a classic King Kong.

Toylines will always have a character or era underrepresented.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

You can keep your Showa and Millennium era figures. I love the Heisei era, and will always welcome more of them.

Houndoom
GPN Volunteer

Post by Houndoom »

G1985 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:57 pm You can keep your Showa and Millennium era figures. I love the Heisei era, and will always welcome more of them.
Please, I just want a Showa Ghidorah and Gigan...lol

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:40 pm MonsterArts is overrated. Though I'll agree opinions are slowly growing more negative with all the QC problems over the last several years. I only have one and with only a couple exceptions have not bothered with another. Which kinda sucks because Figuarts is fantastic. Then again shelf presence is a huge thing for me, which most MonsterArts lack.
lol yeah they kinda suck

I mean, when I get one, I don't dislike them. But the money is almost always better spent elsewhere.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Kiryu (2002) is by far the greatest SHMA figure ever.

MG75 is one of the greatest X-Plus figures ever. Especially in the 30cm range.
For Emperor and Empire!

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

I can take or leave effects parts. Don't really have the space to be displaying figures with them. Weapons/gear on the other hand (like Kiryu's armor, Garuda, Ultraman Mebius wrist blade, etc), are absolutely required.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I nearly always throw away boxes. Its just a massive waste of space to keep them. And I ALWAYS cut my tags off, aside from super rare or valuable figures. The only figures in my collection that are still tagged are my Hyper Hobby GMK and Theater Exclusive Godzilla 2000 and Gamera 1996. I HATE how my figures look with the tag attached.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Executive Hamster wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:10 am I nearly always throw away boxes. Its just a massive waste of space to keep them. And I ALWAYS cut my tags off, aside from super rare or valuable figures. The only figures in my collection that are still tagged are my Hyper Hobby GMK and Theater Exclusive Godzilla 2000 and Gamera 1996. I HATE how my figures look with the tag attached.
I’m with you. I kept boxes for years that made sense for protecting figures in a move knowing I’d need them. But once I finally made what I hope is my last move for decades to come, I tossed em all. X-plus Ghidorah box? In the trash.

I do keep Bandai vinyl tags, but I take them off and put them in a baseball card binder (even the rare ones - I use a hair dryer to pull the hang tag out without cutting it). I agree, they hinder my enjoyment of the figure on display.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:40 pm MonsterArts is overrated. Though I'll agree opinions are slowly growing more negative with all the QC problems over the last several years. I only have one and with only a couple exceptions have not bothered with another. Which kinda sucks because Figuarts is fantastic. Then again shelf presence is a huge thing for me, which most MonsterArts lack.
IMO for something to be overrated the majority of a community has to think highly of it, which to me isn't the case. Most prominent personalities in the Kaiju collecting community are pretty critical of SHMA, and these complaints aren't a recent thing either- people have been frustrated about QC and the lack of beams/effect parts since releases like 54 or 01. Heck, even the inaugural 94 release had eye issues. People have been claiming that the line has been going down the drain at least since Tamashii started going all in on repaints. Disclaimer that I'm somewhat of an SHMA stan.

Some of my "unpopular" opinions:
-It's more important that a figure be impressive detail wise than be screen accurate.
-Lack of effect part(s) has become a cliche argument. Most people seem to set all their effect parts aside in a ziploc while displaying the figure alone despite said effect being "integral" to the character. There's more that goes into the price of figures like SHMA than accessories.
-The sheer variety and quality of Deforeals in existence put other lines to shame .
-Most Monsterverse SHMA are unimpressive or mediocre. Spacegodzilla's articulation also comes to mind. That said the line still doesn't have any real competition that will force it to innovate/improve.
-The SHMA line should end so I can make more off of discontinued figures
-The absolute state of Godzilla film soundtrack accessibility

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Andagi1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:16 am -The absolute state of Godzilla film soundtrack accessibility
You need to elaborate here.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I like SH Monsterarts.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

- I find the term "soft vinyl" to be a bit misleading when many figures are in fact hard vinyl.

- The market in general is oversaturated. I think there is such a thing as there being "too much" and don't care for a majority of what gets announced.

- To add to the last point, there is a weird and somewhat toxic obsession with nostalgia that has really seeped into most fandoms (Godzilla included) and has promoted a lot of really useless/unnecessary product consumption. My own personal take is that this encourages more bad habits/negative mindsets than it does good. You don't need that much stuff, and the items you purchase are not going to fix or recapture whatever it is that you miss about your childhood.

- You don't have to like the era/brand that some people collect, but you should be respectful and not a bully about it. There is no "better" era or brand. I collect vintage and modern and have seen this from both sides of the fence.
Last edited by Creature22 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Creature22 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:22 am - I find the term "soft vinyl" to be a bit misleading when many figures are in fact hard vinyl.

- The market in general is oversaturated. I think there is such a thing as there being "too much" and don't care for a majority of what gets announced.

- To add to the last point, there is a weird and somewhat toxic obsession with nostalgia that has really seeped into most fandoms (Godzilla included) and has promoted a lot of really useless/unnecessary product consumption. My own personal take is that this encourages more bad habits/negative mindsets than it does good. You don't need that much stuff, and the items you purchase are not going to fix or recapture whatever it is that you miss about your childhood.

- You don't have to like the era/brand that some people collect, but you should be respectful and not a bully about it. There is no "better" era or brand. I collect vintage and modern and have seen this from both sides of the fence.
Absolutely true.

EDIT: I suppose I'll add THREE as well.

People are unrealistic about all kinds of price points and what they're expecting. Exploring how and why the toy industry works, specifically collectors and non collectors products will give folks a 30K foot view of how things are developed, produced, and distributed. (watch Scott Toy Guru for an inside perspective on how the industry works).

Redecos/Retools are fuckin' great

Showa creatures generally do not translate well to tangible things like toys, due to aesthetics.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

"Useless/unnecessary product consumption."

I'd like to know what aspects of kaiju toy collecting are useful and necessary.

Added in 1 minute 5 seconds:
StardustGenius wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:31 am (watch Scott Toy Guru for an inside perspective on how the industry works).
This is a really weird reference to encounter in the wild, because Scott was one of my best friends in high school, and we're still in regular contact today.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

eabaker wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:37 am "Useless/unnecessary product consumption."

I'd like to know what aspects of kaiju toy collecting are useful and necessary.
Haha true. But what I think he's really talking about are people who feel the need the buy everything. The ones who use a large collection as a source of pride or a part of their personality. A person who insists on buying SOMETHING Godzilla everywhere they go and at every con they attend, no matter what it is.