Popy/Godzillla's Gang question

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
crockalley
Ronin

Popy/Godzillla's Gang question

Post by crockalley »

I was wondering if Popy made any other Toho monsters in this style, with the funny proportions and footprints. I've had these Gang figures my whole life, and I just thought it might be fun to pick up some other Godzilla monsters in the same style.

Side question: I used to visit an awesome Godzilla toy collectors website with a huge catalog of merchandise, but I always forget the name of it. Does anyone know of such a site?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Popy/Godzillla's Gang question

Post by canofhumdingers »

You mean Clubtokyo.org? Unfortunately it’s been defunct for a while now.

crockalley
Ronin

Post by crockalley »

Yeah, that's the one. Darn, that was a good site.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Iirc the us release Godzilla Gang series was from the Kingsaurus line which did feature some other Toho kaiju (as well as multiple Ultra kaiju/seijin).
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:23 am Iirc the us release Godzilla Gang series was from the Kingsaurus line which did feature some other Toho kaiju (as well as multiple Ultra kaiju/seijin).
I had no idea that's where they came from. Thanks!

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Popy did produce other Toho monsters, but only in Japan. Not sure how rare/costly they have become though.

Clubtokyo is getting a revamp so hopefully you'll be able to check out the list of what they put out soon enough.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The other Toho monsters in the Popy figure line were Rodan, Gigan, Mechagodzilla, Baragon and King Ghidorah. The Godzilla in that line was very similar to the figure that showed up the Godzilla's Gang line in the US. I've owned all of them for close to 20 years now, so I have no idea how difficult it would be to find them these days.

I believe the "Kingsaurus" name was specifically attached to a group of separate Godzilla figures. There was a small Godzilla, one about the size of the other Popy figures, one a couple inches taller (the rarest of the Popy Toho figures, the only one I'm missing), and a 10" jumbo Godzilla molded in red.

Hope this helps.

crockalley
Ronin

Post by crockalley »

Thanks for all the great information! Looking at ebay, seems like most of them are between $100 and $200, which is not out my my range, but definitely not an impulse buy, haha!

I'm so psyched to hear that clubtokyo is back!!! Such an invaluable source of info for years!

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Bumping an ancient thread here, but this led me to the revamped ClubTokyo which I hadn't been to in ages and WOW it looks great. Very nice and easy to navigate.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:07 pm Bumping an ancient thread here, but this led me to the revamped ClubTokyo which I hadn't been to in ages and WOW it looks great. Very nice and easy to navigate.
Oh wow, you're right!

http://www.clubtokyo.org/site/showCharacter

This is super cool to find pretty much everything!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.