Super7 Godzilla Line

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Fermix
EDF Instructor

Re: Super7 Godzilla Line

Post by Fermix »

Their biggest enemy is time. Their license is for 2-3 years after which Toho can choose not to renew it. Assuming they have it until January 2024 (3 years after the announcement), their current pace of 1 wave every 3 months means that we would get 7-8 waves of Ultimates before it comes time to renew. That seems like just enough to get all the heavy hitters from Heisei out. Toho seems to love Heisei, so doing a full Heisei line could probably go a long way with building goodwill and getting the license extended.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Have the ReAction figures been sighted in any actual stores (namely FYE or Target)? I'm kind of curious to buy them, but I'd rather see them in-person before making that decision.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:48 am Have the ReAction figures been sighted in any actual stores (namely FYE or Target)? I'm kind of curious to buy them, but I'd rather see them in-person before making that decision.
A friend of mine found them in FYE a few weeks ago.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:50 amA friend of mine found them in FYE a few weeks ago.
Cool, I guess I'll keep my eyes peeled then. I saw the Marusan reissue at my local FYE a month or so ago, and it was actually cheaper (around $14) than what I bought if for online ($20).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:44 am
Fermix wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:07 am The predominant reason I'm saying it could happen is that the first Ultimate was solicited as "Heisei Godzilla" as opposed to "Godzilla 89" or "Godzilla vs. Biollante - Godzilla". That appears to me as them wanting to release definitive incarnations of Godzilla and avoid doing suits that are nearly identical. IF there are Showa suits that are similar enough to get away with it, I could see them coming with interchangeable parts.
This is why I said the plan to do Heisei stuff as Ultimates first makes more sense. Godzilla looked different, sometimes vastly different in every Showa film. Although there were changes in each Heisei film, to the untrained eye, they largely looked the same.

I suspect we'll get a "50s Godzilla" and a "60s Godzilla" and maybe a "70s Godzilla" if and when they do Showa ultimates.

Almost no one would buy every Showa incarnation. Remember their market is more than just hardcore kaiju fans.
I guess I'm a little confused on what you're arguing here, because earlier you seemed to be implying the Showa movies would be hard to get through chronologically because of how many monsters repeat from film to film, but now you're not convinced they'll do any more variants of one monster than they absolutely need to.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:00 pm
Fermix wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:07 am The predominant reason I'm saying it could happen is that the first Ultimate was solicited as "Heisei Godzilla" as opposed to "Godzilla 89" or "Godzilla vs. Biollante - Godzilla". That appears to me as them wanting to release definitive incarnations of Godzilla and avoid doing suits that are nearly identical. IF there are Showa suits that are similar enough to get away with it, I could see them coming with interchangeable parts.
This is why I said the plan to do Heisei stuff as Ultimates first makes more sense. Godzilla looked different, sometimes vastly different in every Showa film. Although there were changes in each Heisei film, to the untrained eye, they largely looked the same.

I suspect we'll get a "50s Godzilla" and a "60s Godzilla" and maybe a "70s Godzilla" if and when they do Showa ultimates.

Almost no one would buy every Showa incarnation. Remember their market is more than just hardcore kaiju fans.
I guess I'm a little confused on what you're arguing here, because earlier you seemed to be implying the Showa movies would be hard to get through chronologically because of how many monsters repeat from film to film, but now you're not convinced they'll do any more variants of one monster than they absolutely need to.
Nope, what I’ve said remains the same. I’ve been clear on this. Showa has a lot of repeat monsters in films, especially chronological. That makes it hard to theme a 2 figure wave IMO. Likewise I don’t believe they will do every version of Godzilla from Showa, just like they’re not going to do every Godzilla from Heisei.

The monsters rarely changed much in Showa films. Sometimes they did. But that’s irrelevant to the Godzilla suits which pretty much changed every film. I suspect they will do more “catch all” versions of the Showa Godzillas when they get to them. But with the other monsters, one is as good as any.

We’re already seeing this with ReAction. Godzillas have unique designs and year designations, whilst the other monsters do not.

They can get away with releasing umpteen variants of Godzilla in ReAction but probably not at $80 Ultimates. So while I don’t know for certain or anything, I wouldn’t be shocked to see amalgamations or versions with multiple heads or so way to kinda cover several films/era of Godzilla per release.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Personally I hope the “theme” idea gets dropped entirely. I don’t care about it. At all.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:53 pm
DrBreakfastMachine wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:00 pm

Nope, what I’ve said remains the same. I’ve been clear on this. Showa has a lot of repeat monsters in films, especially chronological. That makes it hard to theme a 2 figure wave IMO. Likewise I don’t believe they will do every version of Godzilla from Showa, just like they’re not going to do every Godzilla from Heisei.

The monsters rarely changed much in Showa films. Sometimes they did. But that’s irrelevant to the Godzilla suits which pretty much changed every film. I suspect they will do more “catch all” versions of the Showa Godzillas when they get to them. But with the other monsters, one is as good as any.

We’re already seeing this with ReAction. Godzillas have unique designs and year designations, whilst the other monsters do not.

They can get away with releasing umpteen variants of Godzilla in ReAction but probably not at $80 Ultimates. So while I don’t know for certain or anything, I wouldn’t be shocked to see amalgamations or versions with multiple heads or so way to kinda cover several films/era of Godzilla per release.
I'm still unclear on what the issue is. Burning Godzilla and Super MG already break the idea that every wave is going to be themed around one movie.

They might have to fudge it around a bit but I think they will still be able to mostly do chronological for Showa. There are a lot of 2-monster pairings that make sense to me even if they debut in different movies. You could pair Anguirus 68 with Gigan even though the suit debuted earlier, then Megalon and JJ, then Godzilla 74 with King Caesar, then MG and Titanosaurus, for instance.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Am I right to assume that after every Super7 Ultimate that's released, we're going to devolve into "But muh Showa!!!" complaints, virtually making this SHMA Thread 2.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Well right now there's not much else to talk about. But once figures are shipping and the schedule is more solidified I imagine it'll be at least a little better.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:20 pm Am I right to assume that after every Super7 Ultimate that's released, we're going to devolve into "But muh Showa!!!" complaints, virtually making this SHMA Thread 2.
No.

Because unlike MonsterArts, we KNOW what their game plan is. Why poke the hornets nest when we all know this?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:34 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:20 pm Am I right to assume that after every Super7 Ultimate that's released, we're going to devolve into "But muh Showa!!!" complaints, virtually making this SHMA Thread 2.
No.

Because unlike MonsterArts, we KNOW what their game plan is. Why poke the hornets nest when we all know this?
Did you read any of the previous posts?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

What? They're not getting to Showa eventually?

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Holy moly, how is there 60+ pages worth of anything to say about these figures?

Never change, TK.

That said, I think these small recent ones are moderately cool. The glow ones seem worth having. Shame the '57, despite being a super exciting idea, isn't more differentiated sculpt-wise from the '54.
Last edited by Jomei on Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:37 pm Holy moly, how is there 60+ pages worth of anything to say about these figures?

Never change, TK.

That said, I think these small recent ones are moderately cool. The glow ones seem worth having. Shame the '57, despite being a super exciting idea, isn't more differentiated sculpt-wise from the '54.
Holy crap, welcome back to TK!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:37 pm Holy moly, how is there 60+ pages worth of anything to say about these figures?

Never change, TK.

Jomei you're alive, I thought you were a casualty of the Leaks War of 15.

Anyway looks like Burning G is looking more like a later Heisei Godzilla and not a repaint of Biogoji.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:33 pm

Never change, TK.

Holy crap, welcome back to TK!
Thanks man. I'm working on a book project regarding another forum I was deeply involved in, and it struck me... hey, drama aside, there's no reason I can't post at TK. Current mod-ship seems decent here at the moment, so... ok!
miguelnuva wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:48 pm Jomei you're alive, I thought you were a casualty of the Leaks War of 15.
I'm bio-Goji rising at the end of the movie
Last edited by Jomei on Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:37 pm
Honestly the 57 is quite unique from the 54. The only pieces they share are the body and tail.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:53 pmShowa has a lot of repeat monsters in films, especially chronological. That makes it hard to theme a 2 figure wave IMO. Likewise I don’t believe they will do every version of Godzilla from Showa, just like they’re not going to do every Godzilla from Heisei.

I've thrown together a list of what I imagine the waves could look like based on what we've seen so far. I've done my best to try and put monsters together in a thematic sense (e.g., Rodan '56 and Varan '58 together since they both had a standalone movie, Gorosaurus and Baragon '65 together since they both fought humanoid monsters, etc.) Spoiler tagging for those who don't care
Spoiler:
Heisei
Fire Rodan and Destoroyah*
Spacegodzilla and Moguera
Mothra (Imago) and Battra (Imago)
Godzilla Junior and King Ghidorah*
Battra (Larva) + Mothra (Larva) and Star Falcon + Land Moguera w/ crystal effects
Mecha-King Ghidorah* and Accessory Pack
Biollante (Beast Form)*

Millenium
Godzilla (99) and Orga
Mothra (01) + Baragon and Megaguirus
Godzilla (01) and King Ghidorah*
Godzilla (02-03) and Kiryu*

Showa
Mechagodzilla (74-75) and King Caesar
Godzilla (73-75) and Titanosaurus
Jet Jaguar and Megalon
Anguirus and Gigan
Minilla + Mothra Larva and King Ghidorah*
Rodan (56) and Varan (58)
Gorosaurus and Baragon (1965)
Godzilla (64-66) and Mothra
Gabara and Kamacuras
Manda (68) and Kumonga
Godzilla (68-72) and Hedorah

*denotes a wave with at least one deluxe figure
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

InfiniteHollywood wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:29 am
Jomei wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:37 pm
Honestly the 57 is quite unique from the 54. The only pieces they share are the body and tail.
Technically true but visually they don't differ nearly enough IMO. Big missed opportunity on the '57.