Trendmasters Godzilla Toys Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DrPhilizSick@sHell98
Monarch Researcher

Re: Trendmasters Godzilla Toys Thread

Post by DrPhilizSick@sHell98 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:47 pm Ehh not really for me. The Twin Towers were a landmark and landmarks destroyed in all kaiju/disaster epics.
Yeah. The white house, Washington monument, Eiffel tower, Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Tokyo tower and of course the famous Japanese Pagoda is always being destroyed in movies, especially giant monster movies.
Last edited by DrPhilizSick@sHell98 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
@Dee_Sniper98 ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一 on Instagram

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:55 am I remember being confused about all the different versions of monsters from the Heisei movies that didn't come out in the US. I thought they were just making things up, but I still loved it.
Yes I remember getting Heisei Mechgodzilla figure and wondered why it looked different from the two Showa movies. I liked it but I had found it weird.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Some day I hope to get a more complete collection of the micro playset heads. I’ve had the vs MechaG in L.A. set since I was about 10 (still complete with all parts!) and have always wanted to get more of them. It was easily my favorite Godzilla toy as a kid. I don’t care about having ALL of them, but getting the Rodan, Ghidorah, and Biollante sets would be very exciting. I very much regret not buying them back when they could be had for less than three digits each!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Watched MIB's video about Doom Island recently, and the fact we almost got fricking Kamacuras in Trendmasters makes me wonder what other Toho kaiju they could've done. It was amazing seeing Varan and Baragon brought into the fold and had fun with. Imagine a Trendmasters Gabara.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 pm Watched MIB's video about Doom Island recently, and the fact we almost got fricking Kamacuras in Trendmasters makes me wonder what other Toho kaiju they could've done. It was amazing seeing Varan and Baragon brought into the fold and had fun with. Imagine a Trendmasters Gabara.
Does anybody on here realize all this info can be found on the main site?

https://www.tohokingdom.com/images/inte ... a_gfan.jpg

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:07 am
Mr. Yellow wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:48 pm Watched MIB's video about Doom Island recently, and the fact we almost got fricking Kamacuras in Trendmasters makes me wonder what other Toho kaiju they could've done. It was amazing seeing Varan and Baragon brought into the fold and had fun with. Imagine a Trendmasters Gabara.

Nah, doing actual digging makes too much sense. ;)

Doom Island was set up to be Trendmaster's biggest Godzilla line but it just didn't work out in the end. I know that concept art of Manda is out there but I don't believe the more obscure characters (Gabara/Ebirah/etc) got that far. But there has been a lot more stuff discovered/revealed in recent years compared to what we had to work with several years ago, so who knows? Maybe concept art will pop up.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

My love for Godzilla began with A) a Good Times VHS copy of Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster from the early 90's and B) Trendmasters toys; both circa 1994. I still love the TM stuff, especially Wars and Doom Island.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Creature22 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:27 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:07 am

Nah, doing actual digging makes too much sense. ;)

Doom Island was set up to be Trendmaster's biggest Godzilla line but it just didn't work out in the end. I know that concept art of Manda is out there but I don't believe the more obscure characters (Gabara/Ebirah/etc) got that far. But there has been a lot more stuff discovered/revealed in recent years compared to what we had to work with several years ago, so who knows? Maybe concept art will pop up.
*Insert quippy internet response here*

No, I didn't know that. Thank you for educating me in a civil, and understanding method.

But, my point still stands as we never, apparently, DID see an example of a Trendmasters style Gabara, nor any of the others mentioned in said video.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:55 am *Insert quippy internet response here*

No, I didn't know that. Thank you for educating me in a civil, and understanding method.

But, my point still stands as we never, apparently, DID see an example of a Trendmasters style Gabara, nor any of the others mentioned in said video.
No prob! It's nice to see more interest and respect for the Trendmasters stuff; I always felt the criticism they received was a little unfair and biased. The only real downside is that the newfound interest has driven up the prices! :lol:

And for sure, I would have loved it if Doom Island took off and we got some more stuff. The Mega Mutation toys in particular were awesome and would have been the coolest if they made it to retail... that Godzilla was huge!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I'm just dying to see another take on Gabara after seeing SP lol.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:55 am I remember being confused about all the different versions of monsters from the Heisei movies that didn't come out in the US. I thought they were just making things up, but I still loved it.
That was what I thought too! At the time I was transitioning from being a TMNT fanatic into an X-Men fanatic and Godzilla was a "middle ground" franchise. I bought all the original 6 Godzilla figures, but when monsters like "Spacegodzilla" and "Battra" came out, I thought "Oh great, now they are making up goofy, all new Godzilla figures like they did with the TMNT line and poor King Ghidorah making him a cyborg...how long before they put a punk mohawk on Godzilla if they are already sending him into space?!? Pass!!" :roll:

So initially, I skipped on buying the monsters I had never heard of before and focused back on X-Men figures. And then one day I found a Godzilla book with a purple background and a still from the original Godzilla movie with a train in his mouth on the cover, and it had short breakdowns of all the films, including 5 movies I had no idea existed! :shock: That's when I went back and bought "Battra" and "Spacegodzilla".

I also remember when Trendmasters was sinking after the disasterous Tristar film and for a short while, they offered a mail-order for Varan, Megalon and Baragon via their website. I went to the store to get a money order and sent it out. Nothing ever arrived. Then a few months later, someone from Trendmasters called me and said that they just now found my order form buried in a desk, but they said those three monsters were already sold out and asked if I wanted anything else or just send it back for a refund. I went for the refund. :(
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I just really want to find out what it was like working at Trendmasters back then, the process with Toho getting those monsters, and if someone was just a big kaiju fan or they were cheaper to get. Getting American Kids to buy versions of Varan and Baragon is amazing to me. I know it's not plausible, and it wouldn't sell, but I'd get a kick out of someone like Super7 doing a Trendmasters style line of Godzilla figures. Do the even more obscure kaiju.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:32 amMy love for Godzilla began with A) a Good Times VHS copy of Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster from the early 90's and B) Trendmasters toys; both circa 1994.
Are you me?