Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by godzilla1541 »

Some new playmates figures have released. Look like bootlegs Image
SHINS Sculpt is 100% stolen Image
That Kong we saw a while back which we thought was Bandai. Is actually playmates. It’s stolen too.

UltramanGoji

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by UltramanGoji »

We literally only have one picture of each. Wait till you get them in hand before saying they're stolen. Shin looks like it came from a style guide based on the NECA figure and Kong is so unidentifiable that there's zero basis in it being stolen from Lanard.

Anyway, SpaceGodzilla looks cool, don't care about Shin. I'll probably pick SG and the Destoroyah up as well.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

You don’t have to like the toys but to call them “stolen” is extremely ignorant

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

It's very similar to the the Neca Shin sculpt; too bad they changed the head which is the most important design aspect of any figure anyway so now it looks like complete crap.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Oh, they don't look great....but at least this means it won't be limited to GVK!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

The more I look at these the more I am just utterly fascinated by them. These look like the figures you find in the alley of a Hong Kong street market.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

IDK, the sculpts are eerily similar. In fact if you look at Spacegodzilla he really resembles the vinyl movie monsters figure. If you look at the smaller two rows of spines, they even retain the dip from the vinyl, although the larger spines look better.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Oh no, two figures based on the exact same creature look similar? Must be stolen.

Shin looks derpy as hell, but it’s fine. It’s not like we don’t have other excellent shin figures like all the Bandai ones, or gashapons. This feels like a figure that kids can have fun smashing together and not worried about damaging. Kong is the big one I’m interested in.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

godzilla1541 wrote:
SHINS Sculpt is 100% stolen
That Kong we saw a while back which we thought was Bandai. Is actually playmates. It’s stolen too.
]
Do you have 110% concrete proof of this? If not then you’re a liar.
Stop hiding and show us your evidence.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

lol don't you think you're both reaching a little bit on this?
Last edited by Noble Saber on Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

UltramanGoji wrote:We literally only have one picture of each. Wait till you get them in hand before saying they're stolen. Shin looks like it came from a style guide based on the NECA figure and Kong is so unidentifiable that there's zero basis in it being stolen from Lanard.

Anyway, SpaceGodzilla looks cool, don't care about Shin. I'll probably pick SG and the Destoroyah up as well.
There is no way the Shin isn’t taken from Neca’s scupt. Look at the dorsal spines, tail, feet, and how the head connects to the neck. We have way too much Reference material now that there in no way they sculpted their own shin and it matches up This much. Look at how the tail is segmented, and how it connects to the body. Or the Two Clear segments that match up exactly with Necas Mold. Why would Necas Figure be used as a style guide???. It is one of the most inaccurate figures of the design on the market. Surely they would know to use actual reference material from the film.
Look at Kong’s face, and his hands. The hands match up 1:1 with the pose and shape. The only things that differ are the chest and Forearms. Which easily could be modified when the joints where removed from the figure. However Kong is still harder to tell, so he is up in the air.
. If you can’t see the similarities, ESPECIALLY with shin. Then I don’t know what to say. But with simple side by side images you can Clearly see they are the same mold. This is not a Neca 62 SHMA 62 situation where they are the same design but still have Clear differences so you can clearly tell them apart. This looks bootleg levels of Copying.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Still waiting on the evidence....

LynnBob 1967
GPN Volunteer

Post by LynnBob 1967 »

There is nothing on the Playmates Shin that even matches the Neca... Different sculpt entirely. Kong is different as well, the chest head and shoulders are a different sculpt looking at the blurry pics of it.
PHIL 4:13

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

They look almost exactly like Bandai Creations figures. Was hoping the Playmates figures would at least be something unique not just BC ripoffs. Wonder if they somehow got the license for BC's stuff. Wouldn't be the first time something similar happened. Their Superhuman Samurai line seemed to be based heavily on Bandai's Gridman sculpts.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

2004Zilla wrote:lol don't you think you're both reaching a little bit on this?
You mean me? I'm not saying they're "stolen", just that they look oddly similar.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:lol don't you think you're both reaching a little bit on this?
You mean me? I'm not saying they're "stolen", just that they look oddly similar.
No, godzilla1541 and gridiron_kaiju.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

The SpaceGodzilla looks like this small 4 inch bootleg of the BC figure that I found in a market in Thailand.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

They're even fucking worse than we thought

Somebody fucking fumbled the ball hard on this one

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

2004Zilla wrote:They're even skreeonking worse than we thought

Somebody skreeonking fumbled the ball hard on this one
They look so bad....I love them.
What’s the price tag on these? Surely like 8$? Would be good for small children to bash around.

My point isn’t to defend these, they’re abominations, but I feel like a lot of us on here have the perspective of being adults trying to collect high value figures that are accurate vs a toy company putting something cheap out for eight year olds to bash together.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:They're even skreeonking worse than we thought

Somebody skreeonking fumbled the ball hard on this one
They look so bad....I love them.
What’s the price tag on these? Surely like 8$? Would be good for small children to bash around.

My point isn’t to defend these, they’re abominations, but I feel like a lot of us on here have the perspective of being adults trying to collect high value figures that are accurate vs a toy company putting something cheap out for eight year olds to bash together.
Bandai America figures look way better than these do. And they are meant for kids. Just because they are kids toys doesn’t mean they have to be absolutely garbage.

Also. That is literally the Bandai Japan space Godzilla sculpt. There ain’t no denying it
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.