Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Shenanigans »

Here it is:

Got to hand it to Playmates, man - when they try, it shows. Like Terrestris, this one almost rivals Bandai's. I wish the paint spray on his head was a little more concentrated/neater, but he looks damn good. They even painted the red on some of his fins, too; Bandai didn't even bother with that.

If they're doing SP characters, I'd love to see Rodan since he's the only major one Bandai doesn't seem to be covering.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Wow, that looks great! Tough to pass up.

Wonder if they’ll do Godzilla Earth…
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

That looks fantastic! Might have to get it, even though I own the Bandai one already.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

That Godzilla Ultima looks great. I didn't even know they were making one, I wonder what else they have planned?
Last edited by onerichman on Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Damn good sculpt! Might even replace my SHMA on my shelf to be quite honest! Would sure take up less room.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Is that 6in or 12in? I'm hoping the latter.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

cloverfan98 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:15 pm Is that 6in or 12in? I'm hoping the latter.
6 inch.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

I don't care much for that design, but Playmates has done some nice work here. They continue to impress.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

That looks really nice but it doesn’t matter as I won’t be able to find it along with everything else that they have recently done.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

It would be banger if Playmates could get Gamera or some other kaiju…kinda like Trendmasters.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

That would be wild, but I'm shocked they're doing as deep of a dive as they are. I'm always amazed that Trendmasters grabbed the Gamera license.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

There must be demand for it, but I gotta think Chris Mowry working for Toho US has something to do with it.

Remember Trendmasters tried to get the Kong license back in the day too.

Imagine if they got Ultraman.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Yeah, MonsterArts may be the 'gold' standard for a lot but sometimes between Movie Monsters and Playmates they have things that just work so well for such minimal outlay I wouldn't change them in my display because their size, sculpt or both work perfectly and I wouldn't get any extra value by spending several times more (Gamera, Gorosaurus, Mothra and Larvae, heck, Jet Jaguar looks delightfully crazy and works great in any diorama despite the odd pose...).
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

This one actually looks really good

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Does it? Hopefully the final release won't have a head a completely different color than the body.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:48 am Does it? Hopefully the final release won't have a head a completely different color than the body.
For a playmates figure, yeah. Most of them have been just meh quality so far but this one actually looks pretty good.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gotta' agree with Leggy on this. The off color head is a huge eye sore. At least its not trying to copy the original Bandai though.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:24 am Image
Call me crazy but that looks like a 12in figure

Where did you find it?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The head looks differently colored because it's likely made of a softer material than the body.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:40 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:24 am Image
Call me crazy but that looks like a 12in figure

Where did you find it?
Holy shit, it *IS* 12 inches.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?