Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by canofhumdingers »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:00 am There's a full shot of the Gorosaurus prototype on Instagram. Should be under the "tmprototype" username.
Anyone able to post the pic here for those of us not on social media?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 am
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:00 am There's a full shot of the Gorosaurus prototype on Instagram. Should be under the "tmprototype" username.
Anyone able to post the pic here for those of us not on social media?
By the grace of the snipping tool:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Awesome! Thanks!

That Gorosaurus does look nice. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the new upcoming Bandai figure.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

canofhumdingers wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:44 am Awesome! Thanks!

That Gorosaurus does look nice. It would be interesting to see how it compares to the new upcoming Bandai figure.
This was from John Shyman's Instagram. Dude's a prototype collector, and made it sound like it's not going to be released.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Sounds about right that Playmates wouldn't release what looks to be easily the best thing they've made. Normally I'd be disappointed, but Bandai is already on top of a 6" Gorosaurus, so if I'm being completely honest I don't really mind this.

Also, a little surprised no one posted these yet, but full pics of Battle Mechagodzilla and Arctic Kong are out.

https://twitter.com/Ned_Chang/status/14 ... 4904679427
https://twitter.com/Ned_Chang/status/14 ... 5769804808

Not gonna lie, Kong looks better than I would've thought - certainly better than ol' purple arms they tried to pass off as a Hong Kong glow variant. If I see either of these out in the wild I'll pick them up, but I'm certainly not going to jump through hoops like I had to for regular Mechagodzilla and Warbat.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Doesn't look unreleased to me.

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I love how the gold paint on the Rodan looks like the vintage Bandai. The G95 and JJ are everywhere in my area so im excited to get these. Any release date? I'd like to secure them before I move away to my dorm.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

A year ago, if you told me Playmates was going to be making one of the most requested Kaiju figures of the last ten years widely available, I wouldn't have believed you. This is incredible, and honestly, I might just have to pick him up to support their decision to make him. He looks awesome. They both do.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

These are looking pretty good

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That Goro looks better than the new bandai one lol, these are both gorgeous sign me up
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I need those like freaking now. Especially Goro

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

MoarCrossovers wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:03 am Doesn't look unreleased to me.

Ya know...with some paint and cannibalizing other Godzilla figures. I could just maybe turn that Gorosaurus into a retro Marvel Godzilla. 🤔
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The actual figure for Rodan is actually pretty whack, don't know why they stripped him of the rich browns, detailing, and added an ugly hinge to one of his wings.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Wow I'm rather surprised that they are releasing 2 new figures like that. The Rodan isn't great but for Playmates its definitely a step up in terms of what they have put out recently but that Goro is amazing from what I can see. I will more than likely pick both of the up whenever they do get released.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Imagine of those were also made in the style of the GvsK figures line.

Well done Playmates. Well done.

Anyone else tempted to buy 2 56 Rodans?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

What size are these going to be in? While it may not be imaginative, if it's about six-inch height or so I'd put that Gorosaurus with my illustrated Kong and Music-box Godzilla and just declare "CLOSE ENOUGH!".

Edit: I only just realized that this is apparently in the $12 range, unless I was misinformed. As the only other decent Gorosaurus I've seen lately is the small one from the $80 Mezco pack (which is actually not a bad deal for the four-pack when you look at the ReAction stuff) this definitely comes across as the more cost-effective option. Too bad it doesn't have 'pry the jaw open' articulation.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Fingers crossed they come over here to the UK, if I remember they stopped ordering GvK figures so idk if that counts these......... That Gorosaurus really is better than the upcoming Bandai one. I'm impressed.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:25 am That Goro looks better than the new bandai one lol, these are both gorgeous sign me up
I don't think the new Bandai looks fantastic (though we've only seen an unpainted prototype) but I don't know about saying the Palymates one is better. It looks neat but a better all around likeness it certainly is not.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

MoarCrossovers wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:03 am Doesn't look unreleased to me.

Huh. I sure wish Bandai Creation would have shown the enthusiasm and effort that Playmates is showing. Bandai Creation just seemed completely lost and clueless on what to do with their Godzilla line. Overall, I still prefer their sculpts, but at least Playmates is showing some effort now. It's weird...Playmates took Destoroyah, Godzilla 2004, Gigan and Spacegodzilla from Bandai Creation and destroyed all of them with highly inferior resculpts/rematerializations, yet now they appear to be doing stuff back with vinyl that would have been welcome from Bandai Creation. Even the new Burning Godzilla I think is better than the Bandai Creation one, especially in the dorsal spines. I hope Playmates will do the insanely obvious thing and do what Bandai Creation inexplicably could not/would not do and just repaint Burning Godzilla in normal colors so we can have a standard Heisei (non-burning) Godzilla.

Anyway, the Rodan is the lesser of the two but both will still be definite buys. I hope the fans will support this line now that Playmates actually seems to be trying now.
Last edited by FlawedCoil82 on Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Man, how funny is it that we pretty much had to jump through hoops to convince Bandai through a poll that Gorosaurus was finally, after all these years, worth adding to the MMS line... only for Playmates to just casually drop their own within months of Bandai's reveal that genuinely rivals Bandai's efforts at half the price. Can't make this shit up. :lol:

Of course, far be it from me to complain about more figures of one of my favorite kaiju. That Goro is easily the best classic character they've done yet, no question. The head might be a tad off, but otherwise pretty damn good likeness. Rodan on the other is... a bit more par for the course, unfortunately. Which really blows because there's not really any other options out there except for the expensive (but nearly flawless) Y-MSF. Better than nothing though.

The Rodan they show in the box and the other stock photos are distinctly different; I wonder which one we're getting. I am hoping that the version with wing joint(s?) was an earlier prototype and the final product will not have that; the version in the box photos without the joints and a better paint spray actually doesn't look half-bad, like in the photo below. Of course, its probably the other way around. Knowing Playmates, these things could be popping up on shelves any day now...

Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.