Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Moth
G-Grasper

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Moth »

[confirmed fake]

Do what you'd like with this image, and draw whatever conclusions you want.
Last edited by Moth on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I mean, can you tell us more about it? Otherwise it's just a screenshot that is ridiculously easy to fabricate.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

I came across it in a Discord server, the poster didn't really provide any more information outside of the image, but I can tell it's from Target (duh).

I'm leaning towards fake because of the photo quality. But on the fringe chance it's real....

Playmates might be my favorite company with the license currently.
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Don't recall how the new Bandai sculpt got Gorosaurus looks like but this Playmates version looks really solid. Will probably get whichever version is most accessible.

Rodan figure not crazy about but it looks like it homages the old Bandai vinyl from way back.

Might have posted here about Jet Jaguar. Seen it at stores a few times but tbh not too impressed by the sculpt in person. Head and neck along with the flat paint turn me off. Decided on getting the new Bandai over it.
Last edited by GodzillaXGomoraFight on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Image got confirmed fake.

Maker of that fake is also making a bunch of other fake leaks so, be aware!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:34 am Don't recall how the new Bandai sculpt got Gorosaurus looks like but this Playmates version looks really solid. Will probably get whichever version is most accessible.
Here's some photos of the prototype.

I personally think the snout is a little...stunted, maybe? The Playmates one seems better in that department IMO. I'm still getting it because, why the fuck not lol
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:34 am Might have posted here about Jet Jaguar. Seen it at stores a few times but tbh not too impressed by the sculpt in person. Head and neck along with the flat paint turn me off. Decided on getting the new Bandai over it.
It can't stand up for shit so you made the right call.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Yea I think the Playmates sculpt looks better between the snout and also the teeth (I like the front fangs on Playmates especially).

Judging the pose of that Jet Jaguar, it did maybe look a little too dynamic for its own good. Then again, I am used to the statue-esque Ultraman vinyls.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Wow...yea, that Bandai Gorosaurus definitely has too short of a snout.

I wonder if Playmates would ever offer up a Gabara figure? Ain't he like one of the ONLY Toho kaiju who never got a Bandai Japan vinyl?
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Ebirah never got one either, neither did Zilla and some other Kaiju in their FW designs.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yes, the snout is a little stunted on the Bandai but there's also something so goofy and off about the mouth on the Playmates. It kind of balances out.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Fuck it. Get both! How many Gorosaurus figures are we gonna get?

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

KingKaiju wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:10 pm skreeonk it. Get both! How many Gorosaurus figures are we gonna get?
There’s also the Mezco one coming soon. Lots of love for Goro this year!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Main Site confirmed Rodan 1956 and Gorosaurus:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/godzil ... rst-looks/
Spoiler:
Shocked that we are getting not just ONE but TWO Gorosaurus figures this year, and the playmates one looks decent. I'm surprised that there will be a Gorosaurus figure on American store shelves, but I'm not complaining. That's the type of thing that some kid picks up because they like dinosaurs and wind up getting into Godzilla.

Rodan looks alright. Admittedly the 1956 head always looked a little strange to me, and minus some of the color it looks accurate. I appreciate the possibility on the wings.

Edit, I'm late to the party. Oh well. Looking foward to the other stuff.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Interesting thing is in that one picture of Rodan it looks like there is a hinge on the wings. Possible wing articulation?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I love how lisencing mandates a year accompany the name of every monster, even in the case of Gorosaurus where its totally pointless.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:44 am I love how lisencing mandates a year accompany the name of every monster, even in the case of Gorosaurus where its totally pointless.
Jet Jaguar doesn't have a year on his box. Weird.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

KingCornetto wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:54 pm
KingKaiju wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:10 pm skreeonk it. Get both! How many Gorosaurus figures are we gonna get?
There’s also the Mezco one coming soon. Lots of love for Goro this year!
Oh yeah!!!! I have that one on preorder. Three! Shit. Guess we'll see what the MMS looks like when it comes out, fully painted.

Added in 42 seconds:
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:57 am Interesting thing is in that one picture of Rodan it looks like there is a hinge on the wings. Possible wing articulation?
It looks like the one in the box doesn't have articulated wings.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Found this on Reddit. It looks like they have been found in the wild so happy hunting. It doesn’t look like Rodan has that hinge.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

DoubleDam21 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:03 pm Image

Found this on Reddit. It looks like they have been found in the wild so happy hunting. It doesn’t look like Rodan has that hinge.
Wonderful! Very pleased that's the version of Rodan they went with. Might not look great, but much better than the earlier shlock they started the classic line with. I think it might look better than Jet Jaguar too, IMO.

Also like how it seems to be paying homage to Bandai's classic vinyl figure from the 80's. Or just ripped it off. Either way, I'm eager to compare the two when I get this guy.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I say ripped off. No American toy company producing figures for 6 year olds is going to pay homage to a 30 year old Japanese toy.