Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

ElijahSky wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:31 pm
Nice work. While you're at it, maybe you could work your magic on NECA renewing their Godzilla license?
No thank you. I actually like getting more than one Godzilla figure a year.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I know it’s like sacrilege stating this but in some ways NECA is sort of better than SHMA.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

obZen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:39 am I know it’s like sacrilege stating this but in some ways NECA is sort of better than SHMA.
All of their MonsterVerse stuff gives most of the equivalent SHMA figures a run for their money, especially considering the price difference.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Yeah not to turn this into a war again on that subject, but the latest figures of neca where really on point of what they had to look like and if we consider also the price of those figures, is sad that the line didn't had more monsters and that it died as it did.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Has anyone checked Target?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 am Has anyone checked Target?
Playmates figures are Walmart exclusive.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:55 am
gridiron_kaiju wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:50 am Has anyone checked Target?
Playmates figures are Walmart exclusive.
Not the Classic figures.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

I really, REALLY hope we get Behemoth, Methuselah and Scylla figures by Playmates.

Added in 2 minutes 38 seconds:
And what was up with the "Mega Godzilla" figure that had a red cybernetic piece mounted on Godzilla's back?
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

They should either add the Monsterverse titans to the main vinyl line, or expand the Battle Damage line to other MV films.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I reckon I’m late to the party on this but does anyone here know what more or less what the deal is with Walmart’s scarcity (and in many cases, non-existence) of the ‘second wave’ of GvK toys, including MechaGodzilla? My scouring has become increasingly depressing.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

obZen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 am I reckon I’m late to the party on this but does anyone here know what more or less what the deal is with Walmart’s scarcity (and in many cases, non-existence) of the ‘second wave’ of GvK toys, including MechaGodzilla? My scouring has become increasingly depressing.
It's Walmart.

That's it nothing more to it. I'm an avid toy hunter and walmart seems to just not care for toys as much when they can fill their trucks with things people will actually buy. Toys are not their priority.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Yeah, that's basically the issue.
There's a few more things too that need to be realized.
-these toys were made back when the film was set for 2020, meaning they've been in warehouses for a year and most likely are no longer in active production
-stock seems to thin because Walmart, in the continued infectious strain of brainworms of people who get Godzilla toy rights, had Playmates have the GVK line be for their store only. Other stores would probably stock the line better.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

Moth wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:56 pm
Moth wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:41 pm What the fuck.

I guess I willed it enough.
Nice work. While you're at it, maybe you could work your magic on NECA renewing their Godzilla license?
Already tried, I'm magic but not that magic.
You just have to believe in yourself!
gridiron_kaiju wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:12 am
No thank you. I actually like getting more than one Godzilla figure a year.
You know that doesn't make sense right? It's not like that would mean other companys aren't making them.
Last edited by ElijahSky on Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

AllosaurHell wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:13 am ...what was up with the "Mega Godzilla" figure that had a red cybernetic piece mounted on Godzilla's back?
If you find out, I'd like to know too. Just finding clear pictures of it has been a challenge!

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

obZen wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:45 am I reckon I’m late to the party on this but does anyone here know what more or less what the deal is with Walmart’s scarcity (and in many cases, non-existence) of the ‘second wave’ of GvK toys, including MechaGodzilla? My scouring has become increasingly depressing.
Depends, my Walmart got a full restock within a day or so of when I stopped in and got my MG, I was in there a week after and just peaked to see what was around and sold out of all except 3 Kong with Jet figures. So even when they get stock, it's selling out fast. Between film release and Easter holiday, I think it hit perfect timing to sell well. Based on what i've seen though, restocks are bound to come and then they'll be peg warming, just a matter of waiting and patience.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Someone out there owns that Godzilla-with-red-armor prototype and may make a fortune off it someday.

Personally, I wish Playmates would just pull a Kenner-Aliens/Predator type thing and release it as something like, "Godzilla with Battle Armor" :)
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I wonder if the Mega Godzilla toy was based off something removed from the film. Usually movie toyline are made during pre-production and concept stage. Things change, like with the TMNT 2014 movie Shredder. The toy was clearly based off concept art, and not the finalized design.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Don't forget this pic of that armored Godzilla.

I feel like if it was planned for the movie, we would've heard something about it by now. I heard a lot of leaks and rumors, most of which was probably BS, but that never came up as far I know. Then again, none of the other figures have such a distinct "toy only" gimmick...
Poe Ghostal wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am I checked four different Walmarts in my area in MA yesterday. Three were entirely sold out, one had two 11” Godzillas, one 11” Kong (which I nabbed), and one 6” Heat Ray Godzilla.

Collectors or kids (or scalpers...), it’s heartening to this old Godzilla fan to see these selling so well.
I agree, its nice that the line is doing so well. In contrast, I found a tons and tons of the Jakks Pacific Godzilla figures on clearance a while after the movie came out; picked up the 6" Rodan and a second Ghidorah for $3 each.

Echoing some of the above comments about continuing the line as well, certainly seems to be selling well enough to expand. MUTOs are at the top of my list personally. I know they said they had no plans, but hey, plans change - especially in the wake of a toyline selling this well.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Why does Godzilla get armor but not Kong :(
He should get like blue armor or something. Or a big shield and helmet!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:27 pm Why does Godzilla get armor but not Kong :(
He should get like blue armor or something. Or a big shield and helmet!
He'll then look like an extra from Planet of the Apes.