Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Fermix
EDF Instructor

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Fermix »

the 6" Mechagodzilla is a ton of fun to fidget with, I might double dip on the new one if I come across it.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

See, I've been tempted to grab some of those mini 2" figures, but the fact that new releases can just pop up out of the ether like this makes me worry that if I spend a lot on those minis, Playmates will suddenly turn around and release them after all. You never know with them.

That being said, I was able to grab the tiny Godzilla and Kong for a somewhat reasonable price, at least compared to what they've been going for. Should get those soon. I attempted to purchase Behemoth and Hellhawk as well, but the guy I bought them from apparently ran out of stock as soon as I did. Might be for the best, those would've cost quite a bit more (over $20 each).

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If I can find the second MechaGodzilla I'll be trying a mod to add more articulation to the first one. Like the darker metal on the second one.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Honestly, I'm giving up on the minifigures unless I see them at a regular store, I haven't seen a single site yet that wasn't crazy, especially since all I wanted was a tiny Skullcrawler to be my two-legged lizard sub with Illuustrated color Kong. I'm not willing to pay $20+ for something that looks like it was intended for a Dollar General release.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Platypus Prime wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:17 am Honestly, I'm giving up on the minifigures unless I see them at a regular store, I haven't seen a single site yet that wasn't crazy, especially since all I wanted was a tiny Skullcrawler to be my two-legged lizard sub with Illuustrated color Kong. I'm not willing to pay $20+ for something that looks like it was intended for a Dollar General release.
Well, considering it was confirmed the mini figures aren't being released in the US... You should have given up finding them in the wild way back. Which does suck, because I fully agree with you. I also wanted the GvK cast (plus Behemoth) to go with the similarly scaled figures from 2014 and 2019.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:49 pm
Platypus Prime wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:17 am Honestly, I'm giving up on the minifigures unless I see them at a regular store, I haven't seen a single site yet that wasn't crazy, especially since all I wanted was a tiny Skullcrawler to be my two-legged lizard sub with Illuustrated color Kong. I'm not willing to pay $20+ for something that looks like it was intended for a Dollar General release.
Well, considering it was confirmed the mini figures aren't being released in the US... You should have given up finding them in the wild way back. Which does suck, because I fully agree with you. I also wanted the GvK cast (plus Behemoth) to go with the similarly scaled figures from 2014 and 2019.
That's kind of what I was getting at - you never know with Playmates. Things just pop up out of the blue, so they may end up reversing that decision and releasing the minis stateside later on after all. They could package them in a set instead of individually or something. I know its not terribly unusual for toys to be canceled, but the whole story with these things is so strange.

Of course, I'm not holding my breath. I did pay a little over $16 each for the Godzilla and Kong, which isn't super bad in my eyes for what are effectively unreleased figures. Hesitant to spend much more on the rest.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

It's the "unexpected reversal" I was talking about. I hope they release them later. $16 isn't actually bad, but I've never seen them less than $25, pre-shipping, and in that range there are things I 'd want more.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

While I haven't bought any, I saw the Burning Godzilla at Target for the first time, and I was impressed by the quality! He looks good and feels like he would stand up to intense play from a kid. Real good stuff.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

There's a Gorosaurus Playmates prototype roaming the internet.

So uh, that might come out, I guess.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Moth wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:18 pm There's a Gorosaurus Playmates prototype roaming the internet.

So uh, that might come out, I guess.
Can you link it?

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

KingCornetto
GPN Volunteer

Post by KingCornetto »

Please. I need an affordable toy of my Son.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Don't know what to make of that Gorosaurus, if its even legit. Probably is but that doesn't mean it'll get released. Bandai Creation sat on some pretty epic prototypes, too.

Anyways, I got the mini Godzilla and Kong today. I had every intention of opening them, but now that I have them... its kind of hard to do so. They weren't real expensive or anything, but even so, I like the packaging and I'd hate to ruin it. Kong is actually a dark brown; all the pics I'd seen previously made it look like they gave him black fur. Super tiny, too - I knew they were only about 2" but they really are small. Probably don't scale well with much besides maybe the Wizkids figures? They look decent - you know, for figures that should've retailed for no more than like $3-4, and even that's pushing it.

As with all the figures they've made, they're certainly a step below the 2005 King Kong merch. They made a few 2" figures for that movie, too. I wish I remember what they cost.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 amI got the mini Godzilla and Kong today....I knew they were only about 2" but they really are small...
Thanks for the comparison pic! Kong is even smaller than I thought he would be.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

How much do they run now? My griping was mostly based on me being unable to find any for less than $25 before shipping. When I realized I'd spend less getting another BOTM environment set from BBTS than if I got a Skullcrawler and Behemoth from an Ebay seller in Taiwan, it messed things up for me. If they're coming down that's great news. Here's my Skull Island so far:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

G1985 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:37 pm Thanks for the comparison pic! Kong is even smaller than I thought he would be.
Always happy to help! :) If anyone else wants any comparison pics too, I'll be happy to provide!

I wish they were a bit bigger, like Gashapon scale or the same size as the Godzilla 2014 and Jakks Pacific KOTM 4" figures.
Platypus Prime wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:46 pm How much do they run now? My griping was mostly based on me being unable to find any for less than $25 before shipping. When I realized I'd spend less getting another BOTM environment set from BBTS than if I got a Skullcrawler and Behemoth from an Ebay seller in Taiwan, it messed things up for me. If they're coming down that's great news. Here's my Skull Island so far:
You can get the Godzilla for less than $19 shipped on Ebay, but the rest are pricier. Most are also available on Aliexpress for $20 + $5.50 to ship (but no combined shipping AFAIK), but naturally not Behemoth who is both more expensive and constantly sold out. I may try to get another Hellhawk simply because its the only figure of it outside of the little Monogram SD bag clips, as much as I hate having to spend $25 on it. A little hesitate since the last guy I bought them from ran out of stock after I bought them (I did get a full refund though).

Nice display BTW!

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I was able to finally get Burning Godzilla :Godzilla68: and Jet Jaguar :JetJaguar: at my local Walmart! And a happy accident occurred. When I scanned BG up at the register, it said $8.93, while Jet Jaguar scanned for the retail price of $12.97. I asked the cashier and he said he didn't know why they were different prices, but he just canceled JJ and rescanned BG so I got them both for $8.93! I was pretty happy with that unexpected outcome. :)
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

There's a full shot of the Gorosaurus prototype on Instagram. Should be under the "tmprototype" username.

I really, REALLY hope they plan on releasing it because it looks damn good.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:00 am There's a full shot of the Gorosaurus prototype on Instagram. Should be under the "tmprototype" username.

The account says Gorosaurus was cancelled. If that's true that really sucks since it's easily playmate's best sculpt.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:49 am
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:00 am There's a full shot of the Gorosaurus prototype on Instagram. Should be under the "tmprototype" username.

The account says Gorosaurus was cancelled. If that's true that really sucks since it's easily playmate's best sculpt.
Wouldn’t surprise me as Anguirus and MKG was the best sculpts in Bandai America line and they got cancelled as well. I hate that too as they including this look so good.