Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Moth
G-Grasper

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Moth »

Only Godzilla fans would be pissy that a version of a character that barely gets merch, gets merch because it looks like a toy from 30 years ago.

I like how they came out a lot, Gorosaurus more than Rodan though.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:49 am I say ripped off. No American toy company producing figures for 6 year olds is going to pay homage to a 30 year old Japanese toy.
It was also said no American toy company would ever do a Gorosaurus figure yet here we are...
They're either paying homage or took inspiration. Ripped off? Not even close.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Well we do know Toho will give Playmates a previous sculpt to reuse.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Rodan looks a lot better in that picture, despite the lack of a wing hinge
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:49 am I say ripped off. No American toy company producing figures for 6 year olds is going to pay homage to a 30 year old Japanese toy.
Eh, that's a little harsh. This toyline might be primarily aimed at a younger audience, but its a toyline for 6-year-olds that provides us with a selection of characters from the 50's and 60's who don't often get a lot of merch, so I wouldn't sound quite so dismissive. They must be listening to collectors to some extent to choose characters like Jet Jaguar and Gorosaurus. My comment wasn't that serious.
Moth wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:59 am Only Godzilla fans would be pissy that a version of a character that barely gets merch, gets merch because it looks like a toy from 30 years ago.

I like how they came out a lot, Gorosaurus more than Rodan though.
Oh no, I'm not complaining at all. Like I said, I like the resemblance and think the figure looks nice! My comment was simply in reference to how their first figures were legitimate rip-offs. They've come a long way from that.

I think what happened is that they used the Bandai figure as their primary reference. Why? I don't know. But they did put some effort in to change the pose to something slightly more dynamic. Might not necessarily be an intentional homage but I wouldn't genuinely accuse them of ripping off Bandai's figure.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Whoooahohohohoooooo! Looks like I'll be doing some hunting this week!! These two look good!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Whoever gets the Gorosaurus figure please take a pic of it with the NECA King Kong I wanna see how those two look together.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Ultimately did end up buying a mini Hellhawk for myself. Figured it's about the only good figure we're going to get of this freaky little guy, so I didn't want to risk missing an opportunity.

Now the question is - do I open it? I'm torn.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Where are they popping up at....?

Don't tell me Target or I'll loose my crap.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

goji89 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:06 pm Where are they popping up at....?

Don't tell me Target or I'll loose my crap.
Target (grabs popcorn) :lol:

But seriously from what I remember (and I will gladly eat crow if I’m wrong) but they aren’t going to be released here in the states but you can buy them on eBay and other places like that.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I went to Ebay to see what the Behemoth was going for... Yeah... Fuck that. I'm seeing that thing for $69!! I know we don't have any Behemoth figures, but $69?!?! I don't fucking think so.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Honestly, after Playmates released a Gorosaurus, I would not be surprised if they released a Behemoth
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

If Playmates released any Legendary Monsters in the detail, scale, and price that the Gorosaurus, Rodan, and JJ are at, I'd be extremely happy to give them my money.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The mini figures are still not available in the US, unfortunately. I got it from Aliexpress.

That's why I'm conflicted on opening it; it was expensive. But I want to get my money's worth, so I'll probably open it even though that'll ruin the packaging.
KingKaiju wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:33 am I went to Ebay to see what the Behemoth was going for... Yeah... Fuck that. I'm seeing that thing for $69!! I know we don't have any Behemoth figures, but $69?!?! I don't fucking think so.
They pop up on Aliexpress every now and then for like $25-30 shipped. Not ideal but better than Ebay. They sell out instantly whenever they're restocked though, I still can't get one.

They used to sell for over $200 when they first popped up. :dizzy:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

$70 for an inch tall playmates piece.

Scalpers must be put in check.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I thought that the mini-Skullcrawler would be a great discount alternative to the idea of buying another NECA Kong for the two-legged lizard, but when I found out 'discount' was not remotely part of the equation, I honestly gave up and got a Beasts of the Mesozoic environment pack. There's no reason those two things should have been in the same price range. I have seen many cases of items that you can't get in America being sent from overseas, but I'm not used to that sort of markup. And I've collected Transformers in the 90's.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:50 am $70 for an inch tall playmates piece.

Scalpers must be put in check.
That's not scalping, their selling a product not available to you at a marked up price.

Scalping is they went and bought an item you could have gotten at normal price to sell to you at a higher cost.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:41 pm That's not scalping, their selling a product not available to you at a marked up price.

Scalping is they went and bought an item you could have gotten at normal price to sell to you at a higher cost.
More or less what I was thinking when I bought it. I feel like these had a very, very limited production run, as no online retailers anywhere in any country are selling them, and even the third-party sellers are incredibly scarce.

Anyways, I opened Hellhawk. I've seen very few pictures of it out of its packaging online, so I figured I'd share some more.

While there is a stand, it has no issues standing on its own, which is nice. Don't care much for the stand since its the same color as the figure.

The back is nice and detailed, lots of little bumps as seen on screen.

The Godzilla vs. Kong newcomers!

And the whole squad.

Really isn't much to say about it, its exactly what it looks like - a tiny, cheap-looking figure that should've been widely available for $4-5 at most. I'm very happy to have it, but given the prices it goes for, can't recommend it to anyone but diehard collectors like myself. I don't see anyone else releasing a Hellhawk figure though, so if you want one this and that chibi bag clip are going to be it.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:50 pm Ultimately did end up buying a mini Hellhawk for myself. Figured it's about the only good figure we're going to get of this freaky little guy, so I didn't want to risk missing an opportunity.

How much was it?
Last edited by GODZILLA2877 on Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

GODZILLA2877 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:31 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:50 pm Ultimately did end up buying a mini Hellhawk for myself. Figured it's about the only good figure we're going to get of this freaky little guy, so I didn't want to risk missing an opportunity.

How much was it?
Roughly $26 shipped. Not ideal but at this stage I don't know if they're going to get any cheaper.