Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by KingKaiju »

I skipped out on Jet Jaguar and Burning Godzila, because I have the bandai versions of both. But because representation of these two are so damn rare, I definitely will be picking these two up. And they look really damn good!!!!! Gorosaurus may be a double up, because I was planning on getting the MMS. But fuck it, at this price, can't go wrong!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Playmates be looking at Trendmasters....lets get a Baragon and Varan.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Also, I saw that Ultrazilla posted some links on his youtube page. According to those links, my local target has them in stock. I might have to check it out for myself.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Hmm, now this is interesting. Some may remember this; a while back this supposed list of upcoming Playmates figures was leaked... in January 2020.

Now I'm not saying this means the list is definitely accurate, but you have to admit the presence of Gorosaurus and Jet Jaguar in particular is intriguing - two characters nobody can honestly say they expected from this line given how it started. Megalon and Hedorah could be pretty cool if they put Gorosaurus-level effort into them, but as with Gorosaurus, it would be ironic to finally get a Megalon alongside Bandai's own take.

That being said, King Kong 1933 still throws me. I cannot see that being anything but bullshit. Unlikely and obscure Godzilla characters are one thing, but Kong is a whole different animal entirely from a legal/license standpoint.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

If someone does indeed check/call their target, do tell, because it says in stock *check your store* but I don't know if that's just a default listing.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Fuck. All these figures, which haven't been bad, for about $13.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Give me classic Anguirus. And by "classic" I mean 1955. Enough talk.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:28 am Hmm, now this is interesting. Some may remember this; a while back this supposed list of upcoming Playmates figures was leaked... in January 2020.

Now I'm not saying this means the list is definitely accurate, but you have to admit the presence of Gorosaurus and Jet Jaguar in particular is intriguing - two characters nobody can honestly say they expected from this line given how it started. Megalon and Hedorah could be pretty cool if they put Gorosaurus-level effort into them, but as with Gorosaurus, it would be ironic to finally get a Megalon alongside Bandai's own take.

That being said, King Kong 1933 still throws me. I cannot see that being anything but bullshit. Unlikely and obscure Godzilla characters are one thing, but Kong is a whole different animal entirely from a legal/license standpoint.
Playmates made the peter Jackson Kong toys and universal owns the rights to the 1933 film. It could be that playmates may have close contacts to universal.

My opinion is that the Kong 1933 is just going to be a black and white repaint of their Kong skull Island figure.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:02 pm Give me classic Anguirus. And by "classic" I mean 1955. Enough talk.
I want to see a Anguirus 1955 too.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'd flip out if we did get a '33 Kong. 55 Anguirus also.
What if they did a friggin Manda though? 🥵
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Definitely a long shot but with them doing releases of former Bandai USA figures it would be interesting to see if the Anguirus and MKG would be the unused prototypes from them.
Last edited by DoubleDam21 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I see Megalon........!!!

Please let it be true.

I have Gigan and Jet so a Megalon would be a dream come true.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

goji89 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:59 am I see Megalon........!!!

Please let it be true.

I have Gigan and Jet so a Megalon would be a dream come true.

Of course you could always just buy the brand new Bandai version right now instead of hoping for a Playmates one.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:06 am Of course you could always just buy the brand new Bandai version right now instead of hoping for a Playmates one.
Or they can just wait it out and compare the two before making a purchase.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:37 am
Legion1979 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:06 am Of course you could always just buy the brand new Bandai version right now instead of hoping for a Playmates one.
Or they can just wait it out and compare the two before making a purchase.
Yeah, I'll just wait it out. If it doesn't get made by Playmates I can always just get the Bandai one. I'm in no rush.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

Personally I would love to see a Varan made in the future.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I don't know if this is Bandai or Playmates, but BBTS has Megalon, JJ, and others on their site now. Not very expensive:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?H ... rand=4863I

Edit: Oops, now I see this was already posted in the other thread and they're Bandai. Sorry!
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:10 pm I don't know if this is Bandai or Playmates, but BBTS has Megalon, JJ, and others on their site now. Not very expensive:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?H ... Brand=4863
Wow, that's the lowest I've seen so far. How are they able to sell those for so cheap?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Gorosaurus looks good; the snout is a bit saggy (The Last Dinosaur?), but otherwise it looks solid from the photos.
Rodan looks awkward, almost like a knockoff of the old Bandai figure. I'll have to see it in person to judge, probably.

It's still exciting to see these two announced, however. The collecting hobby is looking promising to me right now.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I STILL think that Ill go for the Bandai Goro, if I get a Goro at all. Im impressed with Playmates recently, definitely blew anything by Jakks out the water, and honestly, if NECA had to die for Playmates to make good Godzilla toys, then that's a worthy trade off. I hope what we get with Playmates becomes the next Bandai Creation. The quality isn't quite there yet but I bet they can get there. Also love that the Rodan is a clear homage to the original Bandai figure.