Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Platypus Prime »

Ok, that's both a lot different and a lot more impressive than I expected. The 'baby puddle' Hedorah is actually adorable. The flying form is both a lot bigger and a lot more detailed than I expected, though, I'm sure unintentionally, the small indent below the eyes makes me think he is slightly frowning in judgement over something and the leg-things I didn't notice before do appear to be articulated in a simple way for figure-grabbing. The big land version is just awesome, and I definitely want it just for the 'drape the arms/taill over something to ooze' way, I know I wouldn't get that from the MMS. So, unless they do something insane with a super-limited comic-con only release or otherwise make it impossible, I'm sold!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The sculpt looks good on these, but there really phoning in the paint. Hedorah was A LOT more colorful than that. The costume had all sorts of bold yellow and red splotches on it and it was covered in some sort of iridescence. These figures should be popping more than they do.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

On the bright side, at least this time they can't screw up the paint on the teeth! (which I hope isn't taken as permission to screw up the paint on the eyes...).

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

So, I got my G89 in the mail today. Overall it looks great, but the jaw keeps popping out of place and giving him that hilarious crooked-jaw the '94 figure had. The socket for the first tail segment that connects to the body is also stripped, so the balljoint pops out really easily. It's fixable, but it shouldn't have been an issue in the first place. The articulation is also kind of lacking compared to the other figures in the line. Like, by a lot. He has only one joint at the waist that controls the entire upper body, so no extreme crunches like the old ones. Other than those caveats, it's made me appreciate the BioGoji suit even more. It looks straight up mean.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Panther10
JXSDF Technician

Post by Panther10 »

I finally managed to crack open my Godzilla 1989 a couple of days ago. I recently moved into a new condo this past Tuesday and I've been so busy with unpacking and arranging everything that I haven't had much time to enjoy this figure. Now that I've had a chance to mess around with it, I gotta say this one is cool. I think I actually like the new 89 more than the DX version which surprises the heck out of me. it may not have the same bells and whistles as the 8" version, but somehow this little 6 1/2" figure manages to preserve more detail and paint than its DX counterpart. So Yuji Sakai absolutely knocked this figure out of the park. Also this figure is taller than I thought it would be. I was expecting this Godzilla to be one of the pipsqueaks of the line; almost similar in height to the 94 Godzilla - since it was meant to be a counter piece to the Biollante that was released a few years ago. But as it turns out, this figure is nearly the same size as the G'95/Rebirth mold. So I guess Bandai Spirits/ Tamashii Nations threw their relative scaling aesthetics right out the window? In either case I'm very pleased with this figure. Also I haven't had any problems with tight joints or flimsy articulation. Everything seems to be perfectly balanced and those ball joints are sturdy without being problematic.

Also side tangent: Without even realizing it until yesterday, I managed to crack this figure open on the 10th anniversary of the SHMA line and this also happens to be the one suit that I've been requesting since the line got off the ground. So this figure marks as a nice little bookend to that last decade. And I'm ready for more. The two new teases of the multi form Hedorah and the Final Wars Godzilla look amazing. I hope we inevitably see more Showa, Millenium and the last few heisei designs over the next 10 years.
Last edited by Panther10 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I just realized the MA Gigan head sculpt reminds me of the 10" Trendmasters Gigan.

Image Image
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Is BioGOji's hip joint supposed to be super tight? Mine barely moves, and I'm scared to force it.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Hedorah's flying form is huge! Looks pretty nice, though I'm still hoping that they'll add a bit more paint to the final product (which is unlikely, they've only ever done the reverse and used less paint). I also kind of wish we got the whole body of the water form instead of a tiny head on a circular base, but its hard to complain about what is essentially an accessory.

By the way, it looks like some Godzilla Ultimas have been captured in the wild.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:39 am I just realized the MA Gigan head sculpt reminds me of the 10" Trendmasters Gigan.
Not me. I'm thinking Foghorn Leghorn:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

“Now who’s, I say who’s responsible for this unwarranted attack on my person!”

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If the line were to add another Showa Godzilla in the foreseeable future, it will probably be MegaroGoji.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I'm hoping the upcoming Mezco Godzilla from the DAM set will scale relatively decently with Hedorah.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:22 am I'm hoping the upcoming Mezco Godzilla from the DAM set will scale relatively decently with Hedorah.
Apparently the figures in that set will be 4.5 inches, if that helps give you an idea of their scaling.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I plan in my little wrecked city to display all three forms at the same time in different spots. It won't make any SENSE, but it'll be neat! I maybe need to add some cotton ball smoke from the various smokestacks so the Smog Monster feels at home.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

Missingno. wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:05 am
Poe Ghostal wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:22 am I'm hoping the upcoming Mezco Godzilla from the DAM set will scale relatively decently with Hedorah.
Apparently the figures in that set will be 4.5 inches, if that helps give you an idea of their scaling.
Yeah. It depends on Hedorah's height, then...
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:44 am It won't make any SENSE,

If it made sense, it wouldn't be Hedorah now would it?

I look forward to your display.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I cancelled my preorder for Godzilla Ultima a while back since I thought I wouldnt have room on the shelf for it, but I found room and so I reordered it. Those new pictures going around look so damn good, super excited for it.

Question though, Im a bit slow. If you put things in your pile of loot on BBTS, that means it wont charge ANYTHING until you chose to have it delivered or it wont charge JUST THE SHIPPING. Im a bit strapped for cash right now and the vague "coming in December" means I need to take that into consideration.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

When the item arrives they will charge you, then they charge shipping when you tell them to send it.

For cost reasons I've budgeted for SCV Ghidorah and I'm waiting to hear how much the Hedorah 3-pack is. My guess at first was similar to G Ultima, but with the other two forms we know about now, maybe closer to Gigan and its accessories? I had considered Gigan but between space and costs, I figure if I try for two MonsterArts figures next year, I'm better off for my own display with the ones that add more visual variety. Though Gigan still looks like he'd go great with my Svengoolie figure as a war-chicken...
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

BBTS pile of loot charges the actual price of the item when it goes into your pile of loot. Then when you ship the loot it charges for the shipping PLUS the actual sales taxes on all items being shipped.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

BBTS also gets things in fairly late so the "late December" estimation is probably not accurate. More like "Januray 2022".