Beasts of the Mesozoic, Jurassic World, & other Dinosaurs thread!

General discussion for all non-Toho, non-Kaiju collectibles!
MandaSaurus
Sazer

Re: Beasts of the Mesozoic, Jurassic World, & other Dinosaurs thread!

Post by MandaSaurus »

2004Zilla wrote:BigBadToyStore is the only US distributor that sells Rebor.
Thanks. Actually, I like that Kaiyodo Sofubi T-Rex above better than most of ReBor's stuff...

EDIT: Found a Concavenator with good teeth( last one I saw looked like it had braces on it's left side ), so I took it home. They sure darkened this thing up from it's prototype colors. Albertosauruses starting to pile up at my Wal-Mart. I think folks are looking at them, and then the Dual Attacks, and then wondering why Alberto is $5 more...
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

MandaSaurus wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:BigBadToyStore is the only US distributor that sells Rebor.
Thanks. Actually, I like that Kaiyodo Sofubi T-Rex above better than most of ReBor's stuff...

EDIT: Found a Concavenator with good teeth( last one I saw looked like it had braces on it's left side ), so I took it home. They sure darkened this thing up from it's prototype colors. Albertosauruses starting to pile up at my Wal-Mart. I think folks are looking at them, and then the Dual Attacks, and then wondering why Alberto is $5 more...
I love my Sofubi Rex, but compared to the three Rebors I have thus far, it is far inferior in terms of detail, presence and proportion. They're just so "right" to my eye. They have "weight", and motion, despite being diminutive and static. They are excellent value for money, provided you're paying BBTS prices, and not the ridiculous eBay cost.

I cannot recommend them enough.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I just got a Concavenator, too. First one I've seen in weeks. A few of the teeth have a little green on them, but not enough to be a deal breaker for me. Glad to finally have this thing; it's really visually interesting as carnivores go. The scales on the arms and legs are a little weird, though. Wonder why they made them like that.

Also, it was a wrench, but I decided to pass on the Parasaurolophus. I already wasn't sure about the cheap looking head, and when I realized it's stuck that awkward 'looking up' pose, that made my decision. Hopefully any future hadrosaurs turn out better.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ The scutes on the front and back legs are accurate, according to the Wiki literature on the critter. Think, "like an ostrich" or "like a bird of prey". It's correct for the Concavenator. Also, the Concavenator should be a little smaller, to be in scale with the human figures, but it's not exactly a major mistake...

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Hey all, unfortunate circumstance, I put the tail in wrong on my EC T. rex. Has anyone figured out a way to remove the tail without straight breaking it out of there?
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

MandaSaurus wrote:^ The scutes on the front and back legs are accurate, according to the Wiki literature on the critter. Think, "like an ostrich" or "like a bird of prey". It's correct for the Concavenator. Also, the Concavenator should be a little smaller, to be in scale with the human figures, but it's not exactly a major mistake...
I looked it up and yeah, you're right. Problem solved! And I agree that the size in this case is no real issue, too. I'd rather have it be slightly too big than too small.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Shoopwoop17 wrote:Hey all, unfortunate circumstance, I put the tail in wrong on my EC T. rex. Has anyone figured out a way to remove the tail without straight breaking it out of there?
I'd say wiggle it( the tail )a bit, while pulling on it gently. If you're in a cold climate, then use the hairdryer trick, but ONLY to the point that the plastic STARTS to soften...

Heads up! The Coelurus and re-painted Herrerasaurus have started surfacing in the Attack Pack assortments. Based on the back of the package, the only previous dino to be dropped is the Rhamforynchus. It may surface again in later assts., but I doubt that it will be the same color as it is now...

EDIT: A common paint slop error is some white across the Rham's nose. Every other one seems to have it. Doubtless, it is from the Rham's big white teeth. Others on these forums - with their minds in the gutter - may think otherwise... :twisted:
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Shoopwoop17 wrote:Hey all, unfortunate circumstance, I put the tail in wrong on my EC T. rex. Has anyone figured out a way to remove the tail without straight breaking it out of there?
You can do that? I could have sworn it only fit one way.
What does the tail currently look like? it it's upside-down or something like that, you can just rotate the joint into proper place without damaging it.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

Rody wrote:
You can do that? I could have sworn it only fit one way.
What does the tail currently look like? it it's upside-down or something like that, you can just rotate the joint into proper place without damaging it.
Well, as it turns out, I actually can rotate the tail. So...it was a non-issue :D
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

It has been revealed that Papo's Archaeopteryx and Tuaxehara( my spelling may be off )will be discontinued in 2019. They are still available at retail price, but I don't know how long that will last. I got mine at Amazon. Archy was $18 & change, Tuax was $13 & change. Free ship, as my wife has a Student Prime membership...

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Well, as it turns out, I actually can rotate the tail. So...it was a non-issue :D
I'm glad to hear it worked out. :D

The Papo Spinosaurus mentioned previously will, apparently, be available through Everything Dinosaur (Instagram link); so if people don't want to risk the "limited edition" status of the figure, you can contact ED and get on their reserve list.
It's a pretty nice-looking figure; the salamander tail is an interesting speculative choice.

I'm also hearing word that Mattel's upcoming Brachiosaurus will - for better or worse - be another Target exclusive; so be prepared to jump on it in case we get another fiasco like the Spino! :freak:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Lame. Good to be aware of, though...

rob6027
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob6027 »

Finally picked up the Albertosaurus, things awesome. Made a video on it (Ive been sticking with the Kenner stuff so far).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kwzUN-h9ZY&t=167s
Last edited by rob6027 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Unfortunately, Rody is correct. The Brachiosaurus is part of the Legacy Collection, which makes it a Target Exclusive in the US. Mattel reps have stated that Target is aware of the anger over the "Spinogate" debacle, and that they will make sure that all customers will have the opportunity to obtain the Brachiosaurus. We will just have to wait and see, I guess...

EDIT: Why is it that on YT and other such sites that CollectA dinos get equal time with Papo and Schleich? CollectA looks like it's for kids to play with. Papo and Schleich look like they're meant for adults( and older kids )to collect...
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Out of those three, CollectA is the company that pays the most attention to scientific accuracy, and, in general, gives a much more naturalistic look to their dinosaurs. Accuracy can be a factor for some people. Personally, I think CollectA's stuff looks far better than Schleich.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

CollectA's stuff is boring. Papo is a bit more daring, which I like.

PICS FROM TOYFAIR ON YT: Lots of pics of the Destroy & Devour Indominus Rex. It's a bit bigger than the Bite & Fight T-Rex. Looks like the Roarivores are sticking around, but will soon be sporting new paint jobs. Baryonyx, Metriacanthosaurus, Triceratops, Ceratosaurus, Ankylosaurus( and even the Concavenator, for some reason ).
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

New Destroy 'n' Devour Indominus Rex

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

MandaSaurus wrote:Why is it that on YT and other such sites that CollectA dinos get equal time with Papo and Schleich? CollectA looks like it's for kids to play with. Papo and Schleich look like they're meant for adults( and older kids )to collect...
Are you sure you didn't get these two mixed up? :P

Papo is certainly near the top when it comes to sheer detail, and Schleich can be pretty good at that too; but as 2004Zilla mentioned, CollectA actually strives for scientific accuracy in their figures. Papo and Schleich claim to be (semi)educational companies, but the prehistoric replicas are often highly stylized or obviously derivative (or just flat-out not trying) - which is fine if that's what you want, but for avid "paleo-nerds" and collectors, this can be very frustrating because that's NOT what they always want.
I think a big reason collectors are excited for the new limited ed. Papo Spinosaurus - as well as the newly released Schleich figure - is because the two companies are finally redoing the genus in a manner that's up-to-date and not just aping Jurassic Park. CollectA, meanwhile, had this covered three years ago - three times over!

There's also the sheer quantity of genera - dinosaur and otherwise - that CollectA covers; along with classics like Smilodon and even Brontosaurus, They've done all sorts of other obscure or uncommon creatures like Quetzalcoatlus, Guidraco, Beishanlong, Andrewsarchus, Deinocheirus, Basilosaurus, Estemmenosuchus, etc. Many of these genera have barely been touched by other manufacturers, if at all.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

For starters, there is no such species as "Brontosaurus" - that is a "Flintstones" term. The species name is Apatosaurus. If you like 'em, fine. I don't, and CollectA would NEVER get any of my money, their stuff is boring.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MandaSaurus wrote:For starters, there is no such species as "Brontosaurus" - that is a "Flintstones" term.
Wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brontosaurus