King Kong Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: King Kong Toys

Post by Shenanigans »

Platypus Prime wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 pm
Edit: Full writeup at toyark, though their sample came missing his Angry Head eyebrows. Only one of the heads has mouth movement.
https://news.toyark.com/2021/05/09/king ... oot-427230
LOL That's pretty bad of NECA to have sent a defect figure to somebody for early review. Hope that's not a widespread issue...

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

"I'm gonna make my OWN Ultimate Kong! With blackjack! And hookers!" Or at least a pteranodon and a whacking-stick, I don't have anything like a pit-lizard yet but I hope for a Skullcrawler mini if I ever find one for reasonable, that would work well. This is the cheap Papo Pteranodon I was looking at, the plastic is flexible enough to let the feet grab things.

And having re-watched the 1933 film, this would HAVE to happen at some point...

Last edited by Platypus Prime on Wed May 12, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:37 pm You know, I was thinking that was funny but given that this is being listed as Ultimate King Kong (Skull Island), it would not be surprised if a normal Ultimate based around the New York finale might be next.

Crushed plane, chains, legally non-distinct Anne Darrow, I might buy it just so I can officially get rid of my Mezco with no regrets lol.

......so if anyone wants to know the lotto numbers....

RIP Evan.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Was this assembled from multiple sources, or are we seeing a teaser for the next pack? (No, I would not put it past them to do two packs of the same monkey with different accessories). Either way, nice plane!

Edit: Oh, wow, ok. I'm sorry, I had figured that it had probably been spliced together from different toys as a 'what could happen' thing. Apparently not!
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sun May 16, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

NECA is milking tf out of that mold lmao
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:45 am NECA is milking tf out of that mold lmao
KK33 is to Neca what G19 is to Tamashii :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:38 am (No, I would not put it past them to do two packs of the same monkey with different accessories).
That is precisely what they are doing, releasing two sets at the same time with identical Kongs; the only difference is accessories.

And here's the stock photo of the other set.

I love this Kong and can justify buying two, but three is excessive. Come on, NECA.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Yeah... Getting kinda' excessive, NECA. I love having Kongs and all, but damn man. I'd have settled for a regular Kong accessory pack at this point. Give us a Rex.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

I'm trying to judge from the photos if those pilots are to scale with the Mezco Kong Ann Darrow accessory figure. Because the biplane looks perfect. I think I'll go with this set, as I could probably make or find dinos more accurate to the '33 designs. Same goes for the stick. A 20 minute stroll through a park will turn up a piece of wood just as good.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Nothing in King Kong has ever had any consistent scale from the very first movie (seriously, compare the size of a pteranodon, a small airplane, and Kong himself alongside either of them). That's why I've used everything from a slightly repainted old Pirates of the Caribbean figure to a repurposed Dungeons and Dragons mini. I figure if Kong can change his size depending on whatever he stands next to, so can his accessories. I'd just judge it on 'if it looks good enough to you, then it is', the same standard they used in the films.

Of course, I say that and then make this picture which has NO internal scale of any kind...I'm in the boat of 'I'd like a pack of the fists, heads, and critters/plane', maybe with the little building-top diorama bit to pad out the cost and maybe have some illustrated-color heads and hands in the box too. But for now, I will just wait to see if the GvK minifigures ever turn up at a reasonable cost, as a tiny Skullcrawler would 'complete' my setup well enough, if it was cheap enough.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sun May 16, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

The shame of it is that I'm sure most of us would have gladly paid $40-50 for the new Kong with both the Skull Island and NYC accessories. Neca, I love your Kong, but geez...

Well, time for some fresh air and stick hunting!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Neca really try to bend us over a table with this Kong figure.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 11:26 am Yeah... Getting kinda' excessive, NECA. I love having Kongs and all, but damn man. I'd have settled for a regular Kong accessory pack at this point. Give us a Rex.
God, seriously. Literally any Kong sized opponent would be an instabuy, stop with this endless shit.

Fucking praying they don't pull a Ghidorah and come up with some reason not to make it (probably cite whatever rights issue means no Anne/Fumiko/Susan/Dwan/whatever poor broad Kong takes a fancy to today)

RIP Evan.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

All they need to do is make a generic “old school” Tyrannosaurus. They could even base it on the art of Charles R Knight or Rudolph Zallinger. Not only will Kong fans buy it but casual dinosaur fans and lovers of classic dinosaur B-movies would eat it up.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

You're right in the $40-$50 thing...especially if they'd fit in 'Normal' and 'Illustrated' head/hands, I'd have sprung for an accessory pack with what they have here. Not cost effective, true, but I'd see it as adding value to what I had, rather than having to bring in something else entirely. 'Adding to a set' has more appeal to me. On that note I'm likely to see what else BOTM has in terms of environment packs, I know there is a desert one with a ceratopsain skull and rocks that would be perfect size and I could put my pteranodon on the 'jumping' rod.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Why is the biplane one not monochrome? Would make buying it easier to swallow.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:04 pm Why is the biplane one not monochrome? Would make buying it easier to swallow.
Probably cause they're saving that for black and white Kong

RIP Evan.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

Platypus, thanks for showing off that Papo Ptranodon. It's perfect, more in scale with the '33 one with excellent detail. Just grabbed one from Amazon, now that I know I'm going with the NYC Neca Kong.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

God damn it, I'm gonna have to get those extra pieces on ebay. Next we will get Peter Jackson Kong colors on this mold even if it looks nothing like it, just to exploit the mold even more.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I should note that the Papo Pteranodon has no articulation whatsoever, not even in the neck or mouth. It does look very good, though, it's the closest to the movie I've seen. It does NOT stand up, but it can be perched on Kong or given a small figure stand.