The General Kaiju Model Kit Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
SpaceG92
Keizer

The General Kaiju Model Kit Thread

Post by SpaceG92 »

This thread is dedicated to model kits of any-type of upcoming, past or current Kaiju, Alien, JSDF Anti Kaiju Weapons and similar things of the likes. Though, lets try and keep it Toku and Kaiju related, per forum thread guidelines.

I've seen a few scattered threads regarding specific Godzilla model kits, but nothing dedicated really. So why not contain everything in one thread? Feel free to post your favorite kit you have or seen as well as any you have done, bought, currently building/painting or upcoming projects you may have. Feel free to post tips, questions or interesting videos you may find as well to help inspiring kit builders go through the ropes. Understand that I personally haven't seen to many kaiju modelers on here, so information and help may be limited, but some basic rules apply and so can most tips and tricks! Mind you though, not all can be interchanged as certain materials can damage the paint or material of your precious model kit.
I might as well start off. I've always admired Kaiju kits. The level of detail (especially when painted) is nothing short of a work of art. Each sculpt differs from person to person and a sculptor makes their own work unique and might add their own little detail to their creations. You can get some unique looking designs from time to time. However, the lack of drive, skill and funds kept me at an admiring distance for awhile until recently. I've been "painting" (Looking back on it, more like destroying) some figures for a while and I kinda wanted to make a plunge into model kits and apply the skill learned into helping out my want to repaint figures. I recently picked up a Billiken MechaGodzilla 1975, which will be my first Big Project and technical Final Exam, as I think it deserves justice and I'd rather not pick up such a prized model kit and utterly trash it.

I also picked up an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush with I will be using with Vallejo paints to fully paint and customize whatever projects I have in the future. I may switch back over to the tough as nails Tamiya paint, but in order to thin those suckers you need to use their head-ache inducing thinners. Something I just can't do anymore. I also just picked up a Kotobukiya Type 92 Maser as my first real project aside testing everything out on some scratch Gundam kits and planned 66Action Ultraman repaints. Hopefully everything will turn out some what decent :P Key is practice and patience, the latter I kinda need coaching in. ;)

As I build and paint the Billiken and Kotobukiya kits, I'll sorta go over how I did it either with video's or a recording to help out some new people or use it as a "What am I doing wrong" video :p For the above mentioned planned 66Action Ultraman repaints, please visit the Custom Godzilla Figures Thread for those. I look forward to starting these eagerly, and look forward to any else's builds!
So, progress time. Been working on the Bandai Tokusatsu Collection MosuGoji today. It was my first time using Mr.Surfacer and Vallejo Liquid Plastic ever, so...mistakes. Up close or zoomed in though it isn't to bad, for my first time. You can notice the toe has ALOT of puty on it. For good reason. There was a 2CM gap for some reason on the left foot that required urgent patching.

He has a slight derp to his stance, like he's leannig a tad to the right. I kinda fucked up on gluing the leg, but MosuGoji had a slight tilt anyways. ;)

PS: Mr.Surfacer stinks like liquid latex and rubber. Ugh...the headache,

The kit has a weird indentation at the brow and forehead. Looks off putting. if I feel up to it, I might throw on some putty and fill in the head and round it a little and extend the brow slightly.

Resized Image
Resized Image

SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: The General Kaiju Model Kit Thread

Post by SpaceG92 »

NEEEEECRO!

So I went into my closet (collection storage) and pulled out my WIP Gusion model kit and as I put it away to finish work on it tomorrow, tucked into the corner behind some stuff I noticed an old box.

Heck - I nearly forgot I owned the Volks MechaGodzilla 1974 kit!

I figured it was about time I actually started working on this as I am "in the mood". If I can actually wake up tomorrow at a decent time, I can start on trimming the flash and pre-fitting the pieces. I haven't settled on how to paint the thing yet but it'll probably something traditional (if I intend on keeping it).

To give an idea how big this thing is. Here's the raw torso.
Related but unrelated. I forgot I was actually SUPER into 30cm vinyl kits for a while but it kinda faded after the realization that 30cm vinyl kits are kinda rare. Still trying to purchase the kits done by Tsukuda Hobby especially their SpaceGodzilla and Destoroyah.

Destoroyah - Tsukuda Kit - It's inaccurate, but it reminds me of the unreleased Trendmasters Destoroyah (chest pattern) which I wouldn't be surprised if they used this kit as a reference. There is charm to this kit that I can't really put my finger on.

Honorable Mention - Max Factory Super MechaGodzilla - Easier to find but its on the list of to get.

Added in 14 hours 1 minute 16 seconds:
Built

I need to trim the ankles and wrists a bit, they stand out a bit to much.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Reviving this thread from the grave because I don't know where else to post it. Progress on my BioGoji.

Night all!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Looking good! I’ve always loved building models, and have built a couple Godzilla’s. But it was maybe one model every few years. But more recently I’ve got a dedicated space and have been making it a more regular part of life. I also got an airbrush which makes things go SO much faster. I’ve currently got a stack of Bandai Star Wars kits I’m working through but I’m sure I’ll do more kaiju eventually. I do have several model train buildings and accessories I need to build to spice up some X-plus shelves...

Anyway, biogoji is coming along nicely. Cant wait to see the finished kit!

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Im new to kits, as Ive only made two now. The first was a bandai? General Grievous kit, and the second, of course, is the classic Aurora kit. Of course, its the 2019 reissue of it.

I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed making this because, honestly, I didnt. At least, with the base I didnt. Godzilla was somewhat fun. When I realized I really enjoyed making models I apparently specifically enjoy kits that snap together. This one doesnt, it needs to be glued together, which is eh on the Godzilla and downright infuriating for those tiny ass buildings. I have shaky fingers, which made things worse. I lost so much skin off of my finger tips that my phone wont even register them anymore.

Anyway, at the end of it all, it looks awesome. Does anyone know of any similar, Aurora style kits that are snapped together instead of glued?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Seems Xplus is getting into plastic kits.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Thats a YMSF figure, not a kit.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Tomato potato.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Ooooh nice!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Progress on the Volks 30 cm Showa Ghidorah:

Excuse my mess of a working station...

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Awesome! Is it resin or vinyl or something else? Also, what kind of support structure is there for the wings? Those have got to be fragile as all get out. I hold my breath every time I move my x-plus Ghidorah…

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

canofhumdingers wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:17 pm Awesome! Is it resin or vinyl or something else? Also, what kind of support structure is there for the wings? Those have got to be fragile as all get out. I hold my breath every time I move my x-plus Ghidorah…
Resin kit! Lol, the wings are a story in themselves. Get this...you have to forge them youreself. They give you a base for the wings, but nothing else. You have to craft them from wire and whatever material you choose. They provide Japanese paper to go along with it, but I opted to use a bed sheet for my first one. Here's how that went:

I'm still making the second one. Not exactly sure what to do next with them lol.

Edit:

Added on one of the tails lol.

Edit 2: Links to my other kits stopped working, but for some reason I can't edit the post.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

That’s wild. Yeah I bet fabric works way better than paper lol. And, added bonus: it’s authentic to the source. Look forward to seeing the finished build.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Thank you! I hope to finish by February or March. I won't have much time to work on it again until January, but I will definitely post pictures when it is finished!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Just got the Aoshima Kiryu gunpla-esq model kit! How well does ot scale next to your average 6 inch Bandai or NECA Godzilla figures?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I believe the kit is more in the 8 or 9 inch scale but I’m not certain.

That’s a nice pickup, it’s been on my list to get for a while (thankfully they keep reissuing it in various forms so it shouldn’t be hard to find whenever I do). My problem is I already have a large stack of unbuilt kits (mostly Bandai Star Wars) and I’ve committed to not adding more to the stack until I get a decent number of them built.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I've just recently got into building model kits, specifically the old school Aurora monster models and anything modern that seeks to ape that style. Here's my current collection as of this writing:

All were bought brand new, factory sealed except Godzilla who I've had since I was a kid. I was horrible at building kits back then and his pieces are in great disrepair so I'll be buying the new Atlantis glow reissue to replace it, but I'm glad to have the original styled long box. I've got the Atlantis Metaluna Mutant on pre-order and am eyeing a few auctions on eBay to hopefully complete my collection by the end of the summer. Once I've got them all, I'll eventually get started on building them!