NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
The Zilla in Manila
Samurai

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by The Zilla in Manila »

Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:42 pm
The Zilla in Manila wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:38 am I tried to avoid the slippery slope of even beginning to collect the NECA Godzilla figures but oh my word, a store 40 minutes away from me had slashed their stock 50% off. I couldn't stop myself from grabbing the Biollante and 2014 version. Now I need the Shin Godzilla, Mothra and 1985 in my collection. I saw them at Target for the longest time but never wanted to pay full price, but now I'm willing.

Damn it.
Oh dang, not a Target store I assume? Because if it is I'm gonna need to start searching all over again, I'll happily add more to my collection for those prices.
Nah, it was a hobby store in a mall. If you live in North NJ, then it's in Short Hills Mall.
Resized Image

"It's funny because I was sitting there with [President Barack] Obama and Leo's [DiCaprio] is talking about the environment and I'm talking about clothes. And everyone looks at me like that's not an important issue or something." - The Brain of Kanye

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

The Zilla in Manila wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:42 pm
Gomi: Ninja Monster wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:42 pm
The Zilla in Manila wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:38 am I tried to avoid the slippery slope of even beginning to collect the NECA Godzilla figures but oh my word, a store 40 minutes away from me had slashed their stock 50% off. I couldn't stop myself from grabbing the Biollante and 2014 version. Now I need the Shin Godzilla, Mothra and 1985 in my collection. I saw them at Target for the longest time but never wanted to pay full price, but now I'm willing.

Damn it.
Oh dang, not a Target store I assume? Because if it is I'm gonna need to start searching all over again, I'll happily add more to my collection for those prices.
Nah, it was a hobby store in a mall. If you live in North NJ, then it's in Short Hills Mall.
Yeah I don't think I'm gonna make that trip just for Godzillas, gonna lose the discount in gas. I'll have to check the couple of comic/toy stores around me though sometime, just in case.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'd love for Neca to release Ultraman figures, TsuPro would be far more giving than Toho. I recently got a Figurarts of the Shinjiro Hayata Ultraman, excellent all around. That being said, I'd take a $25 Neca over the $60-$90 on a good day Bandai Figurarts, as great as their work is.

Really a matter of cost for me.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think anyone expecting NECA Ultraman figures is getting their hopes up but I'd love to be wrong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Just continuing the kaiju genre in general would be neat.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:27 pm Just continuing the kaiju genre in general would be neat.
they could expand their King Kong figure into a non-monstervese skull island line and just fill it with retro Dinos, giant snakes, etc.
your source of self destruction

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I'd expect a Gamera line before a NECA Ultraman line.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Hard to say. From the sound of things Tsuburaya is getting pretty savvy with expanding the brand internationally. I agree its not likely but not completely out of the realm of possibility either.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 pm I'd expect a Gamera line before a NECA Ultraman line.
Honestly it would be hilarious if NECA started a Gamera line and proceeded to their Godzilla stuff. Kadokawa seems at least a little more negotiable about this stuff.
I'd totally be down for Ultraman too, though.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Rody wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:04 am
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:24 pm I'd expect a Gamera line before a NECA Ultraman line.
Honestly it would be hilarious if NECA started a Gamera line and proceeded to their Godzilla stuff. Kadokawa seems at least a little more negotiable about this stuff.
I'd totally be down for Ultraman too, though.
Not to mention, NECA now has LOTS of experience with turtles.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Hey guys have a question about Neca 62. Was the figure reissued at some point with a different finish to the paint job? I finally pulled the trigger on getting it and just got it in the other day. Finish is matte, greenish, and has some brown dirt brushing on the neck and chest. When comparing it to what I have seen online it looks a little different than what other people reviewed (more black, some shine). Very impressed with the figure overall and like 64 it continues to grow on me. Just curious

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:58 am Hey guys have a question about Neca 62. Was the figure reissued at some point with a different finish to the paint job? I finally pulled the trigger on getting it and just got it in the other day. Finish is matte, greenish, and has some brown dirt brushing on the neck and chest. When comparing it to what I have seen online it looks a little different than what other people reviewed (more black, some shine). Very impressed with the figure overall and like 64 it continues to grow on me. Just curious
Yes, most of the figures were reissued with changed paint jobs.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I didn't realize the 62 was rereleased. Might have to get it. I liked the OG when I first got it but fell out of love with it really quickly.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:09 am I didn't realize the 62 was rereleased. Might have to get it. I liked the OG when I first got it but fell out of love with it really quickly.
There's not much difference apart from it being matte finish, lighter in colour and the gums being a bit more prominent (I think)

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I have had the figure for a few days now and it has really started to grow on me. Like the 64, I was a bit cold towards it at first but as I began to look at it from different angles and poses, it really does an admirable job in capturing the 1962 design of Godzilla. My positives are the matte finish, which works well with the sculpt in presenting the figure quite nicely. This paint job has a bit more nuance to me than the 1964, which follows the charcoal and grey scheme from other NECA figures I have. I think that for the price it does an incredible job in presenting the proportions of the 1962 design as well. While it isn't a Monsterarts, I think its paint job and faithfulness to the design bring it up in my book.

Negatives I have in this figure are largely QC, with my hand joint on one side being a little off, the jaw having some gapping on one side, and an irregularly shaped tooth or two. These are particularly minor, but I did notice it after getting almost flawless 64 and 89 figures. The figure is a bit chunky for a 6-inch figure as well, so it looks a bit large compared to other figures in my collection.

I am struggling to figure out whether I like this one better than the 64. I think that when posed right, this figure might have a more seamless sculpt than the 64, which I sometimes get distracted by the transition from the head to neck as well as the cheeks. The 64 was indeed the first NECA figure that really impressed me though and I think I might be on a honeymoon phase with the 62. I think after a few months I'll know which one I like best or might just call it even and say they are my 1A and 1B.

Although I know I am pretty late to the game, here are some pictures I took of the figure if anyone is interested. I personally think this paint job makes the figure much superior in looks to the original I see reviewed on YouTube by Godzilla YouTubers. If you are interested in getting a 62 and can't get the Monsterarts or the 50th anniversary, I think this is a very fine purchase.

https://imgur.com/gallery/b3RHnsL

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Was browsing Twitter the other day and happened upon this kickass custom. Oh, what could have been (though I'm skeptical NECA could've made it look this good). I'm still surprised this wasn't one of their first choices for the line, and as the comparison pics show, it would've offered something over the Monsterarts - a suit-accurate version.

https://twitter.com/s_a_i_f_u_13427/sta ... 7763008517

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Is simply gorgeous. That is amazing.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Now that is just taunting me. It looks so, so good...
Such a shame NECA shut down when they only really had a few main Godzillas to go. The only "distinct" suits they really had left were the G2000 and Final Wars, at a stretch the frog-headed Godzilla's Revenge-era suit. I doubt they would have done Tristar or Anime Godzillas.

I have to say, though... after so much time, I'm not really sad at Playmates taking the license now. They're still just starting off, really, but they've already proved themselves capable of handling the license well. I just miss the quality of NECA.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

I will say, for me personally, I'm glad that NECA went for Godzilla 2003 over 2000. I feel that 2000 gets over-hyped a bit too much, meanwhile the KiryuGoji suit deserves the same love and (I would argue) is a far better suit. That being said, I would KILL for that custom.

Grunkle Sans
Interpol Agent

Post by Grunkle Sans »

Finally got this guy after waiting a bit too long. I ended up getting him for a liiiiittle over retail so I am happy with the purchase. He is definitely one of my favorite NECA Godzillas. As a line I didn't really like when it started out, I am very pleased with how far it came. This may just be one of my favorite Godzilla figures.

My photo may not show it very well, but it's the 2019 Atomic Ray version. I love the blue paint on this guy. I was originally going to skimp but my buddy got the Burning Godzilla when we went toy hunting for his birthday and just seeing the sculpt in person was enough to set me off on the hunt for the blue one.
Last edited by Grunkle Sans on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:gigan: