NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by KingKaiju »

Mothra looks good. But man she is tiiiiiny. I guess we can't expect too much articulation in the limbs if she's going to be that tiny. Scale and accuracy over articulation I guess, which is ok.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Wow Mothra looks great!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Salzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Salzilla »

My Mothra is out for delivery. I'll definitely be doing a live unboxing when it arrives. So curious to see how it turned out, looked great at Toy Fair. Stay tuned!
ULTRAZILLA TOYS
Latest Kaiju review: Bandai Movie Monster Series Godzilla Ultima https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCkhkPWINDI

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Got mothra, you know? Im very satisfied with figure, she looks like an actual real moth would, I think if I didn't tell the family she is from the movie they would assume I just bought a butterfly figure. The wings are translucent and make for very nice colors. Yep definitely not get the MA.
Last edited by the-killer-wc on Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

There's really no reason in buying the SHMA Mothra as of right now. Still no accessories, but much better wings. A trade-off not worth the extra (assuming) 30 bones.

I guess it all depends on where allegiances lie, since we all know you can't prefer one more than the other without being a poster boy lol.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Right now, I’m in the SHMA camp partially because NECA’s business practices and partially because I’m sure it’ll have a wider range of motion. NECA’s looks fine but the lack of a larva (which maybe not to everyone but to me was a big deciding factor) stings tremendously.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:There's really no reason in buying the SHMA Mothra as of right now. Still no accessories, but much better wings. A trade-off not worth the extra (assuming) 30 bones.

I guess it all depends on where allegiances lie, since we all know you can't prefer one more than the other without being a poster boy lol.
Oh there's no problem with preferences. It's blindly ignoring faults of one, and blindly praising the other. Goes both ways, not saying you.

Far as I'm concerned, for me, unless Tamashii throws in some awesome accessories, there's no reason to spend the money. There is NO way a S.H. MonsterArts figure will be $30, so you're effectively spending more for more-or-less a similar figure with basically the same articulation.

Hopefully they do throw in some cool accessories, though. Not sure what they could do aside from the larva, but regardless.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri May 24, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:Right now, I’m in the SHMA camp partially because NECA’s business practices and partially because I’m sure it’ll have a wider range of motion. NECA’s looks fine but the lack of a larva (which maybe not to everyone but to me was a big deciding factor) stings tremendously.
I agree, the larva was the big deciding factor. I'm sure everyone knows I despise NECAs business tactics, but I'll probably end up picking up both lines, just because I'm such a big fan of the new designs.

As of the Comic Con pics, it seems like SHMA Mothra has the same joints as the NECA, but if that isn't the case and she does indeed have more articulation I'll much prefer that one. Especially if accessories are included.

Added in 4 minutes 56 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:There's really no reason in buying the SHMA Mothra as of right now. Still no accessories, but much better wings. A trade-off not worth the extra (assuming) 30 bones.

Oh there's no problem with preferences. It's blindly ignoring faults of one, and blindly praising the other. Goes both ways, not saying you.

Far as I'm concerned, for me, unless Tamashii throws in some awesome accessories, there's no reason to spend the money. There is NO way a S.H. MonsterArts figure will be $30, so you're effectively spending more for more-or-less a similar figure with basically the same articulation.

Hopefully they do throw in some cool accessories, though. Not sure what they could do aside from the larva, but regardless.
Yeah that's true, and I know SHMA has plenty of faults, but I do think people tend to overlook NECAs issues, I know it's likely because price range but for me they're issues nonetheless.

I agree though, SHMA Mothra would need some stand out extras for me to consider paying double or even triple the NECA one.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

What if, to get one up on NECA, SHMA suddenly threw in a Larva with it?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KingKaiju wrote:What if, to get one up on NECA, SHMA suddenly threw in a Larva with it?
I think someone suggested that may have been the reason NECA's Larva wasn't approved.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Maritonic wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:What if, to get one up on NECA, SHMA suddenly threw in a Larva with it?
I think someone suggested that may have been the reason NECA's Larva wasn't approved.
I can see that. Toho and Bandai seem pretty odd like that. Don't know why.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Maritonic wrote:
I could see it. If they did that, I would definitely go with the SHMA one over the NECA. Since I'm guessing that would be the only Larva figure we are going to get.
Last edited by Gojira2K on Fri May 24, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gojira2K wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I could see it. If they did that, I would definitely go with the SHMA one over the NECA. Since I'm guessing that would be the only Larva figure we are going to get.
Yeah that'd be great. Though i do think the design itself would look great as a Bandai Vinyl, and Mothra larvas are normally sold just as much as Mothra herself. So i definitely see some products coming out for her in the future.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri May 24, 2019 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

Just got a notice from Amazon that Mothra arrived today. Totally wasn't expecting to get it so quick. That's $10.99 shipping for you, I guess.

I saw another review for it online and went ahead and ordered another one. Shit's REAL.

N’Doul
Yojimbo

Post by N’Doul »

Something I’ve noticed so far is that only Mothra’s right wing is loose, while the left can hold a pose. You can tell in the video with those guys looking at the Godzilla 2019 and Mothra figures as well as that recent unboxing video as the right wing is loose in both of those. Plus mine is the same way.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

the-killer-wc wrote: she looks like an actual real moth would
Well....not to be nit-picky, but I can tell you she looks nothing like a moth in terms of her body, haha. But it's a beautiful figure for sure!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:
Well....not to be nit-picky, but I can tell you she looks nothing like a moth in terms of her body, haha. But it's a beautiful figure for sure!
Lol that's debatable tbh..

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:

Mmm.. I think she reminds me more of some type of fly, what with seemingly grasping arms. (Definitely moth wings though.)
And then those humanoid legs are a whole different story.

Her legs bug me tbh because they seem to end in points instead of feet, like a cartoon bug. Pretty much all real insects and arachnids etc have feet, so why doesn't she... it seems double awkward for something that can spin webs not to have feet on its main legs.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Fri May 24, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Thegarbagemonster wrote:

Mmm.. I think she reminds me more of some type of fly, what with seemingly grasping arms. (Definitely moth wings though.)
And then those humanoid legs are a whole different story.
Oh I getcha, she kinda looks like an amalgamation of insects tbh, which would make sense since Godzilla is kinda an amalgamation of all different types of animals.

I think they gave her mantis legs, a wasp body, and a moth head/wings.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

ok so if Mothra does indeed have 'floppy right-wing syndrome', what's the best way to tighten up that hinge? I know how to fix a loose ball socket on a figure but I've never had to fix that hinge looking socket.

Maybe push the wing all the way down and a thin layer of clearcoat acrylic polish on the center of the hinge? That way when the wing is up the acrylic is moved down into the hinge and tightens and holds the wing in place?

The bandai I have already has the floppy droopy wings, I don't want the Neca to have that too.
Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Fri May 24, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.