NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by Godzilla21 »

My favorite NECA is the standard Godzilla 2019. Its a solid figure for $25 and captures the likeness very well. Some of their figures really miss the mark for me but when NECA hits they hit well.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I must say, I was definitely one of those people on the side of defending NECA's approach to the Godzilla line, but seeing them announce a bunch of figures for niche TMNT characters has really opened my eyes to how badly the line was handled.

Like, they're reviving their Mirage line and the first three releases aren't even turtles. I'm still sympathetic to some of their stances, like Ghidorah being too big to sit on Target shelves, but they really shit the bed on not making other kaiju.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Fermix wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:27 pm Like, they're reviving their Mirage line and the first three releases aren't even turtles. I'm still sympathetic to some of their stances, like Ghidorah being too big to sit on Target shelves, but they really shit the bed on not making other kaiju.
They can't even really use that excuse either as they literally have this currently on Target shelves the country over:

Literally everything about the Godzilla line in hindsight was such missed potential. Every excuse shelled out about the choices of characters and what-not have all been blown the fuck out by companies like Mezco, Super7, and hell, even Playmates. Every single one of these companies is giving us things other than Godzilla. There was no excuse for NECA to go Godzilla-only and not even try to diversify the line. They'll gladly put out a two pack of Groundchuck and Dirtbag, two obscure nobody Ninja Turtle characters, but not even try to go for at least a classic Rodan or Mothra? I don't buy any excuse about licensing limitations. They clearly didn't really care about the line and it showed.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Also speaks volumes with how unprofessional they got when they lost the license

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

If Neca took the line seriously, they would have absolutely would have pushed for more monsters, especially after Toho began relaxing on the license a little. Even Brian from Super 7 over a year ago said when he asked for all the monsters they told him “nobody has asked that before”. There’s so many new Aliens, Predators, and Turtles that are super obscure that breaks Randy’s own comment because, regardless of the brand name, people will buy these out of principal to 1: finish the set and 2: because they genuinely look nice / cool. I’ve constantly seen the Playmates Godzilla toys fly off the shelves so I have a hard time believing nobody would buy other monsters besides Godzilla. People want to sit Godzilla up with a foe, simple as that. Regardless, its their loss anyways.
:terrestris:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Honestly, I still adore every figure but literally just LOOKING at the figures show how little they care.

EVERY horror NECA I have gotten in the past year has had more accessories and details then literally my entire NECA Godzilla collection (and I have every mold they made but one.)

I STILL haven't found aill the joints in my Part 7 Jason but I can't move Mothra into more then 3 poses.

It's really sad because I adored that line and it really feels like Randy screwed it over because he didn't really seem interested.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

I mean, even if we really sit down and analyze Necas Godzilla line, look at all the design flaws they’ve done in term of the joints and the general sculpting. Compare them to all those other lines, hell, compare them to the Pacific Rim Figures. I own all the monsters from that and, while there’s still some issues with joints and engineering, feels like they move much better than the Godzilla figures for the most part. Maybe I was having bad luck with the QC but that’s from my experiences. They clearly have improved and I do love those last batches but it was too little to late. Also those 2019 Mothra and Rodan figures could have had much better design choices for the joints and pose-ability. The mid-from of the alien dog from the Alien 3 accessory pack was just a little bigger than Mothra and much smaller than Rodan yet had better articulation than both of those figures combined; no ball peg joints for wings? Ok…
:terrestris:

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

"No classic Mothra or Rodan. I refuse."

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

The problem with the line was always Randy and lack of interest.

The stuff NECA is putting out for TMNT and the freedom Playmates/ Super7 have is proof of that.
Last edited by GodzillaRangerPrime on Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Wonder if NECA would pick up any other kaiju or giant monster license. They're doing Universal so it'd be cool to see the Giant Mantis or Tarantula.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I would be interested if NECA picked up the rights to the reported Cloverfield sequel. I was too young to grab the original Hasbro figure.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Fermix wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:51 am I would be interested if NECA picked up the rights to the reported Cloverfield sequel. I was too young to grab the original Hasbro figure.
Still blows my mind that Hasbro of all companies made a kaiju toy that cool. Wish I had one.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:50 pm
Fermix wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:51 am I would be interested if NECA picked up the rights to the reported Cloverfield sequel. I was too young to grab the original Hasbro figure.
Still blows my mind that Hasbro of all companies made a kaiju toy that cool. Wish I had one.
Missing the Habro Clover is my only regret as a collector.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cossegoji2000
Ronin

Post by Cossegoji2000 »

I have the Hasbro Clover. It wasn't cheap, but it's quite an absolute unit of a figure.

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

NECA is more or less Randy's vanity project. I mean, look at what figures they have coming down the pike: more TMNT, more Predator, ALF, Elton John from 1975, more Horror Toons...... all IP's he has interests in. Godzilla was just a property that they had and put the effort into way too late. Purely speculating here, but I feel their interest piqued when Toho vetoed the HB and Marvel designs for figures. Since they (he) couldn't do the designs they wanted, it was just pump out a figure and let the license expire.

It's a shame too, because they are capable of making quality figures at reasonable prices with nice packaging and accessories. I have their Frankenstein figures and they are wonderful (I hope they do Bride, Dracula, Gill Man, and Phantom at some point).

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

NickMockoviak wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:24 pm NECA is more or less Randy's vanity project.
How that dude ended up in the position he's in is beyond me. Acting on self-interest, emotional outbursts, and slashing potential money makers/profit are all signs of a weak business model. NECA seems to be doing okay financially, but they could have easily reached this point many years ago if their heart was on the business and not the vanity projects, and they can easily torpedo themselves if they continue to work that way.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Well, NECA just revealed a $250 Turtle Van that's going up for a direct to consumer, open preorder.

$120 Ghidorah too big for Target though!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Fermix wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:30 pm Well, NECA just revealed a $250 Turtle Van that's going up for a direct to consumer, open preorder.

$120 Ghidorah too big for Target though!
Don't compare the Ninja Turtles to Godzilla. The Turtles was a phenomenon in a way Godzilla could never be in this country, has constantly been evergreen for decades and has legions of nostalgic fans across multiple generations.

Yes, Godzilla has all that too, but this is still the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles we're taking about.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yes shockingly us Americans foam at the mouth for -insert random retailer here- (Elusive) Exclusive Two-Packs of Fishnugget and Hammertoe in their one time costumes used in the background of an 80s TV show. Quite a phenomenon alright.

Added in 7 minutes 2 seconds:
Also not to take this off topic, but the TMNT 2014 film made 191.2m domestically while Godzilla 2014 made 201m. Not to say TMNT doesn't grossly out scale Godzilla in sheer content and fandom here in the states, but I just disagree with this. Since we see "legions of nostalgic fans across multiple generations" daily.
The Turtles was a phenomenon in a way Godzilla could never be in this country, has legions of nostalgic fans across multiple generations.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:26 pm Yes shockingly us Americans foam at the mouth for -insert random retailer here- (Elusive) Exclusive Two-Packs of Fishnugget and Hammertoe in their one time costumes used in the background of an 80s TV show. Quite a phenomenon alright.

Added in 7 minutes 2 seconds:
Also not to take this off topic, but the TMNT 2014 film made 191.2m domestically while Godzilla 2014 made 201m. Not to say TMNT doesn't grossly out scale Godzilla in sheer content and fandom here in the states, but I just disagree with this. Since we see "legions of nostalgic fans across multiple generations" daily.
The Turtles was a phenomenon in a way Godzilla could never be in this country, has legions of nostalgic fans across multiple generations.
Powers Rangers didn't do well in the box office either but Godzilla didn't hold a candle to mmpr in the 90's.

Godzilla is more popular then people give him credit for and less popular than others think.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image