NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I don't think that NECA Shinnis all that bad. Always felt that with proper posing of the head and the overall details of the figure, it makes for a good representation of the character on a budget. Playmates Shin Godzilla on the other hand is not really that good.

Additionally, the 84 prototype ever saw a store shelf so I do not think it is a fair comparison to make. Never had had major QC issues with NECA outside of hands falling off on the early releases. By the time the later Godzilla's came out, both the tooling and the sculpting of the figures was improving.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

NECA fixed that '84 as soon as they got backlash from it, so it's pretty silly to hold that figure against them.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not really, because it's still their worst looking figure and the fixes barely helped it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:04 am
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:39 am
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:37 pm Think he might be referring to if they were to get the license back. Playmates starting to pick up some steam with some of their sculpts, but I would personally prefer NECA to have it again over Playmates for the better quality.
Playmates has put more product out in the last couple of years than NECA did in their entire run. Good riddance.
A lot of Playmates' stuff so far hasn't been all that great. Quality over quantity. NECA had their faults but at least they tried putting out well made, articulated figures at affordable prices.

It's insane how fickle Godzilla fans are. Everyone defended the everloving poop out NECA when this stuff was new, and collectors ate these up. Now that these toys are old news everyone is turning around and trashing the company. What's up with that?
The same reason abuse victims justify abuse or drug addicts justify addiction. Neca was a cheaper easier alternative to SHMA and they were the only game in town. Now that playmates and eventually Super7 have arrived people are letting the entire story about Neca out.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah the 84 still looks wormy imo, I don't know what it is, he just seems thin. I have the OG release, the one without the new spines, but I shouldn't have to pay an additional $35 because they messed up their initial version.

Also, while 89 and 03 have great body sculpts, again its their headsculpts that completely fumble the ball. They look too... happy? Cartoony? It's weird. So I don't see why people are saying they ended on a high note.

Their best figures were probably 64 and 62, but even then I had QC issues with both.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:03 pm Yeah the 84 still looks wormy imo, I don't know what it is, he just seems thin. I have the OG release, the one without the new spines, but I shouldn't have to pay an additional $35 because they messed up their initial version.

Also, while 89 and 03 have great body sculpts, again its their headsculpts that completely fumble the ball. They look too... happy? Cartoony? It's weird. So I don't see why people are saying they ended on a high note.

Their best figures were probably 64 and 62, but even then I had QC issues with both.
They didn't mess up the OG 84 they just released a better more accurate version a second time. Renewal figures are common.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:02 pm
The same reason abuse victims justify abuse or drug addicts justify addiction. Neca was a cheaper easier alternative to SHMA and they were the only game in town. Now that playmates and eventually Super7 have arrived people are letting the entire story about Neca out.
Hey, uh, maybe don't compare toy collecting to literal abuse?

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:45 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:02 pm
Hey, uh, maybe don't compare toy collecting to literal abuse?
I'm not comparing it to abuse. I saying people always justify one opinion depending on the situation they are in. When people only see one option they convince themselves that is the best option. When more options become available they change their views and admit what might have been wrong with the first option.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:11 pm ^you know the Neca line is dead, right? They no longer have the license to produce Godzilla figures and they won’t be making any more.
Oh I know, that was just wishful thinking on my part. I'm hoping Legendary/Toho/WB (whatever company is able to do so) would be able to re-up their contract or license with Neca to have them produce some more figures. I'm hoping to see the line return, whatever needs to be done behind the scenes.
Image Image

Havoks
Interpol Agent

Post by Havoks »

I’d rather Neca not touch the license again unless they plan to do other monsters.
:terrestris:

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I would like to see McFarlane take a crack at the general Toho license. Todd is not afraid to create a unique mold and only get one use out of it. Two areas that I could see being problematic are that he prefers less articulation and that he focuses on characters that look cool, of which there are many Toho characters that probably do not appeal to a mass audience (Rose Biollante, Ebirah, Moguera, etc.)
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Havoks wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:22 am I’d rather Neca not touch the license again unless they plan to do other monsters.
This is my opinion on the matter as well. I quite like several of the figures NECA released, but the sheer lack of other monsters was really frustrating me. I'm not sure I would have kept buying from NECA even if they still had the license today if all they continued doing was releasing more Godzillas.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I will say, to balance out all my negativity, Neca's Monsterverse figures were pretty fantastic. I grabbed the '14, atomic ray '19, and Mothra, all of which I thought were impeccable. I never saw a Rodan in person, but he looked quite nice as well. If I remember correctly, for those they had CG models to work with?
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:44 pm I will say, to balance out all my negativity, Neca's Monsterverse figures were pretty fantastic. I grabbed the '14, atomic ray '19, and Mothra, all of which I thought were impeccable. I never saw a Rodan in person, but he looked quite nice as well. If I remember correctly, for those they had CG models to work with?
Yup. Exactly why they were so good.

Though I will say I loved the look of the non MV. Not for accuracy but they had the feel of the incarnation down.

RIP Evan.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I would never say that NECA were without flaws however as someone who grew up and became a Godzilla fan in the post G98 boom whose first Godzilla toys were found at a garage sale and Goodwill I can't stress how awesome it was to be able to visit a Toys R Us and not only be able to find Godzilla figures, but to find figures of the more obscure or non traditional designs. Getting my hands on a heavy feeling and well articulated 54 or 63 designs for about $30 as opposed to the far higher prices some of their corresponding Bandai figures were commanding on the 2nd hand market felt so rewarding. Obviously Bandai had far more time to make their higher end and higher priced figures outmatch NECA but I just really appreciated the mid tier collector level figures that NECA made. Doubly so now after seeing the FAR higher cost of Super7's Ultimate figures.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:55 pm I would never say that NECA were without flaws however as someone who grew up and became a Godzilla fan in the post G98 boom whose first Godzilla toys were found at a garage sale and Goodwill I can't stress how awesome it was to be able to visit a Toys R Us and not only be able to find Godzilla figures, but to find figures of the more obscure or non traditional designs. Getting my hands on a heavy feeling and well articulated 54 or 63 designs for about $30 as opposed to the far higher prices some of their corresponding Bandai figures were commanding on the 2nd hand market felt so rewarding. Obviously Bandai had far more time to make their higher end and higher priced figures outmatch NECA but I just really appreciated the mid tier collector level figures that NECA made. Doubly so now after seeing the FAR higher cost of Super7's Ultimate figures.
Agreed so much to the point where this could be a signature! :lol: :huge:
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Plus NECA did have some really oddball unique pieces. I love Reactor Glow (the only Burning Godzilla derivative I actually liked as it really did glow), the Poster Color 1954 Godzilla is my 'work desk' one, and the Illustrated Kong, while not a Godzilla, was the only King Kong I saw that was not covered in bloody cuts or didn't just look a like a normal toy gorilla. They had considerable issues but in a few areas are still my favorite version of a particular character.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

The Poster Color G'54 was something I have wanted since I started collecting. NECA issues or not, that release deserves praise.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:06 am The Poster Color G'54 was something I have wanted since I started collecting. NECA issues or not, that release deserves praise.
The '54 sculpt was the crown jewel of Neca's run, safe to say.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah it was a great release, minus the tiny rat tail
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira