NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:36 pm
Powers Rangers didn't do well in the box office either but Godzilla didn't hold a candle to mmpr in the 90's.

Godzilla is more popular then people give him credit for and less popular than others think.
Big agree.
At the end of the day, regardless of his overall popularity, Godzilla merchandise makes BANK. NECA having the Godzilla license should have been an excuse to print money. There was a gap in the market for more affordable alternatives to SHMA, but they dropped the ball on their non-Monsterverse figures, and I only say that judging by their recent figure offerings, such as the Universal monsters.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:07 pm At the end of the day, regardless of his overall popularity, Godzilla merchandise makes BANK. NECA having the Godzilla license should have been an excuse to print money. There was a gap in the market for more affordable alternatives to SHMA, but they dropped the ball on their non-Monsterverse figures, and I only say that judging by their recent figure offerings, such as the Universal monsters.
This is the big thing people don't get. NECA had an opportunity to outdo the competition and corner the market with viable alternatives to SHMA as well as offering never-before-released super articulated versions of classic Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah designs.

They didn't. They put out nothing but Godzillas and the MonsterVerse Rodan and Mothra.

The reasons for not doing KG 2019 were two-fold/(unconfirmed) three-fold:
- Too big for retail shelf space.
- Too expensive for retail shelves.
- (Unconfirmed) Not available to license.

The last point can be debunked as Randy was interviewed during Toy Fair (or a similar event at least) and confirmed they were going to do "all the monsters [from KOTM]" (paraphrasing). He wouldn't have said this if KG wasn't available for licensing. The existence of the Turtle Van as well as the previous pre-orders for other TMNT and related product proves that the last two remaining reasons were bunk as well. If a KG 2019 was too big and too expensive to put out to retail store shelves, there's no reason why it couldn't have easily been released on the NECA Store direct-to-consumer. NECA's license with TMNT prevented pre-orders for store exclusive items like the 90s movie Turtles from happening at first but that was because NECA was licensing from a company with the toyline master license (Playmates) rather than dealing directly with the IP holder. NECA in the latter days of the Godzilla line's lifetime was dealing direct with Toho, making a pre-order, direct-to-consumer system absolutely viable.

The only instance in which characters might not have been available for licensing is the classic Rodan/Mothra/KG designs but there is no evidence that this was the case and factoring in what I said about dealing direct with Toho almost certainly resolves this.

The whole thing with people harping on NECA after the fact is that new licensees in the past few years have come out and offered products that NECA should have offered from the start and explained that doing so was simply a matter of asking and inquiring with Toho. We shouldn't have had to wait until Super7 got a hold of the license to get something other than Godzilla and the Big Four. Super7 is now signaling that it plans on cornering the market on articulated versions of obscure kaiju like Rose Biollante to Western collectors.

The only things we can really be thankful NECA gave us were affordable figures at big name retailers. Despite that though, the line still could've, and absolutely should've, been way more than it ended up being.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

To be fair, the NECA from 2018-19 is different from the one now. The TMNT line is giving them crazy cash and let's them make the NECA Store function and do things like the Turtle Van.
2019 also was the first year of their target deal, so Target may not have had a lot of confidence in selling those big products at retail.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

TMNT is outselling EVERYTHING NECA does or has done. Of course they're going to capitalize on it. A $160 Ghidorah wouldn't sell like their Alien Queen.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Plus you know the head of the company acting like a child on social media didn't help matters

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Tbh we knew Ghidorah being too big for store shelves was bs from jump because Otachi was huge and he was on retail shelves.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Is there really that much disdain for the NECA line as a whole? Sure, it had its missed opportunities, but I would argue that the later releases were overall pretty good. I wasn't planning on buying 1962 or 1964 but after I did, I was very happy to have them. I personally think 62 is the best release they had and I love adjusting the posing in both figures. Really appreciated the hand articulation for instance.

I think the group here has too high expectations for NECA in a world where Monsterarts and X Plus exist for top quality screen accuracy and/or sculpt quality. People don't complain as hard against Bandai vinyls for lack of details, paint, or articulation, so I always viewed NECA in the same realm. Also speculation as to how much the figures would sell when we are already a niche fandom in the US compared to something like Alien or TMNT. Additionally, those lines have been around for so long and are so prolific that kinks that the NECA Godzilla line suffered from have likely been figured out and adjusted. We began to see improvements towards the end but the deal ended. Life goes on.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:51 am Is there really that much disdain for the NECA line as a whole? Sure, it had its missed opportunities, but I would argue that the later releases were overall pretty good. I wasn't planning on buying 1962 or 1964 but after I did, I was very happy to have them. I personally think 62 is the best release they had and I love adjusting the posing in both figures. Really appreciated the hand articulation for instance.

I think the group here has too high expectations for NECA in a world where Monsterarts and X Plus exist for top quality screen accuracy and/or sculpt quality. People don't complain as hard against Bandai vinyls for lack of details, paint, or articulation, so I always viewed NECA in the same realm. Also speculation as to how much the figures would sell when we are already a niche fandom in the US compared to something like Alien or TMNT. Additionally, those lines have been around for so long and are so prolific that kinks that the NECA Godzilla line suffered from have likely been figured out and adjusted. We began to see improvements towards the end but the deal ended. Life goes on.
It's totally fair to say "It happened, get over it." It just feels kinda bad when we were repeatedly told that the main characters sell the best, or that they needed to get 2-3 uses out of each mold, or that certain price points are inaccessible, only to see all of these points being made moot in front of our eyes.

Moth already mentioned that NECA now is not the same company they used to be, which is a very fair point to make. As snarky as my initial point was, I guess I just kinda lament the fact that NECA probably could do a decent job with the Toho license if they had it now and had more confidence in the line.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I still don't onow why Ghidorah had to be double Otachi. Both Otachi's were 75 each, I could see King Ghidorah getting out for 100 but hey I don't work for Neca so who knows.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

There's a funny thing I experienced with NECA and the various talents they hired that turned up in odd places. I took a picture of Reactor Glow Godzilla blasting the BOTM Glow Zuniceratops as a joke, and posted it on the artists FB page saying it was a placeholder till I got a glow BOTM therapod of some sort. I got a note back saying it was appropriate, as he'd sculpted both of them.

It's not a placeholder now.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:51 am Is there really that much disdain for the NECA line as a whole? Sure, it had its missed opportunities, but I would argue that the later releases were overall pretty good. I wasn't planning on buying 1962 or 1964 but after I did, I was very happy to have them. I personally think 62 is the best release they had and I love adjusting the posing in both figures. Really appreciated the hand articulation for instance.

Absolutely agreed, my friend! Neca gave us some really nicely detailed figures (especially down the line) that are very affordable and much easier to find then SHMA and X-Plus (no shade to either of those companies which I also collect). I personally think Neca started off rough but around 84 it really picked up in listening to the fans generally, ignoring the Ghidorah fiasco. They killed it with their last few releases and I hope to see them pick up steam again with the MV continuing. We can use some awesome Kong figures and especially figures of the titans like Behemoth, Methuselah, Amhuluk, Scylla, Camazotz, Muto Prime, etc. I'd love to see the line pick up again!
Image Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

^you know the Neca line is dead, right? They no longer have the license to produce Godzilla figures and they won’t be making any more.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Think he might be referring to if they were to get the license back. Playmates starting to pick up some steam with some of their sculpts, but I would personally prefer NECA to have it again over Playmates for the better quality.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Tbh, only Neca's Monsterverse figures really flexed what they were capable of. When they weren't coming from CG models, with the exception of '84 and '54, in my opinion, their offerings were way subpar. Especially Shin. People roasted Playmates' goofy looking kids toys but you have to concede the Shin sculpt Neca turned out wasn't any good to begin with.
I really did want to like Neca's Godzilla stuff, it seemed like a dream come true. But fuck man, they really dropped the ball imo.
I will say it seems they were hampered by some kind of Toho/Bandai politicking, which makes me wonder what they could have turned out given free reign. Neca's recent Kong makes me wish they got to do their take on a Godzilla design in that scale.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

NECA's source material for sculpting was explicitly just the films themselves which explains why most of the sculpts are good but not great at best. If they had used books or other reference material beyond screencaps from the films, I think the sculpts would've turned out way better.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:37 pm Think he might be referring to if they were to get the license back. Playmates starting to pick up some steam with some of their sculpts, but I would personally prefer NECA to have it again over Playmates for the better quality.
Playmates has put more product out in the last couple of years than NECA did in their entire run. Good riddance.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Playmates is a much older, bigger company than NECA with more resources, and their products aren't on the same level as NECA, it's easier to turn out more. They also have done a lot of variant figures.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:39 am
GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:37 pm Think he might be referring to if they were to get the license back. Playmates starting to pick up some steam with some of their sculpts, but I would personally prefer NECA to have it again over Playmates for the better quality.
Playmates has put more product out in the last couple of years than NECA did in their entire run. Good riddance.
A lot of Playmates' stuff so far hasn't been all that great. Quality over quantity. NECA had their faults but at least they tried putting out well made, articulated figures at affordable prices.

It's insane how fickle Godzilla fans are. Everyone defended the everloving shit out NECA when this stuff was new, and collectors ate these up. Now that these toys are old news everyone is turning around and trashing the company. What's up with that?
Last edited by Legion1979 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Legion1979 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:04 am
A lot of Playmates' stuff so far hasn't been all that great. Quality over quantity. NECA had their faults but at least they tried putting out well made, articulated figures at affordable prices.
Quality is debatable. Even Playmates worst figure never looked as bad as the first "84 Godzilla prototype. Plus NECA figures regularly had arms, legs and heads fall off.
It's insane how fickle Godzilla fans are. Everyone defended the everloving poop out NECA when this stuff was new, and collectors ate these up. Now that these toys are old news everyone is turning around and trashing the company. What's up with that?
NECA was only praised because at the time it was all we had. Now that we're seeing more and more companies get the license and actually do stuff with it it makes NECA look extremely lazy. Here's a few examples-

Mediocre selection- NECA put out practically one figure a year and that was mostly repaints and retools. Not to mention some of their figures were downright bad *ie Shin Godzilla*

Monsters- Why is it Bandai, Playmates, Super7 and Mezco have no trouble putting out products of the other monsters but all we got from NECA was endless excuses?

Promises not delivered- How many times did NECA tease all new kinds of products only to not deliver and turn around and act like they had no idea what were talking about?

The only reason fans ate this stuff up was because "OMG ARTICULATION" which is something all collectors of everything trip over themselves over. A lot of toys don't need that much.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

To add on to Rodan's thorough comment, another reason fans have taken a 180 is simply that hindsight is 20/20.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!