Official TK X-PLUS Collector's Discussion Group

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: Official TK X-PLUS Collector's Discussion Group

Post by king_ghidorah »

I went the color route personally. DX version

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 am I went the color route personally. DX version
Did Harryhausen ever release pics of the model itself? I wonder what they based the paint job on.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Hmmmm.

Not sure.

But all of these figures came from materials from his estate and were supervised by film historians and Ray’s family. So, I’d say it’s probably pretty accurate.

I heard them talking about how no one has gotten then colors right on Gwangi yet, so they’re really pulling out all of the stops.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Unfortunately, the Rhedosaurus is one of the very few 'big' creatures that the Harryhausen Estate no longer has access to. It was dismantled and the armature parts were reused, IIRC, similar to why the Ymir no longer exists.

When choosing which color to buy of the B/W creatures, think about what you want to replicate. Do you want the creature as it appeared on film, or how it appeared on Ray's animation set?

On the subject of Gwangi's coloration, it has been said that every film transfer of the film skews Gwangi's color and is responsible for the 'purple' shade the puppet seems to have. From what I understand, the X-Plus Gwangi is going to be painted as the puppet actually appears in person, not how it has appeared in any film version we've seen, which I feel might be a mistake, given that we've all been used to a purple Tyrannosaurus as Gwangi for 55-ish years.

For a quick head count on what the Harryhausen Estate actually has, in terms of the creatures, check this video out, and note what's not there... Rhedosaurus and Ymir. Pretty much everything else was saved.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

There's a colorized version of 20 Million Miles to Earth and I believe Ymir is colored green in that.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaSkeleturtle666
Samurai

Post by MechaSkeleturtle666 »

Defo-Real Biollante pre-order at hlj: https://www.hlj.com/defo-real-biollante ... r-xps01963

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ApexOversteer wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:07 pm Unfortunately, the Rhedosaurus is one of the very few 'big' creatures that the Harryhausen Estate no longer has access to. It was dismantled and the armature parts were reused, IIRC, similar to why the Ymir no longer exists.

When choosing which color to buy of the B/W creatures, think about what you want to replicate. Do you want the creature as it appeared on film, or how it appeared on Ray's animation set?
Do we know if Rhedo was painted on Harryhausens animation set? I heard rumors that he figured it unnecessary considering it would be filmed in black and white.

Added in 1 minute 51 seconds:
I guess i'll go with colorized, that way he can be posed with other figures and not look like he's made of cement in comparison. For pics I can always throw a monochrome filter on it.

I always thought the Rhedo was red believe it or not, maybe it's because of the subliminal "Rhed" in the name.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Sure are a lot of Biollantes coming this year...

Just knowing how almost ANYTHING Biollante super blows up in value after a lil while, I'm certainly tempted.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:47 pm Sure are a lot of Biollantes coming this year...

Just knowing how almost ANYTHING Biollante super blows up in value after a lil while, I'm certainly tempted.
I am very tempted as well. Has this come out for pre-order yet?
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Gojira2K wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:51 pm
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:47 pm Sure are a lot of Biollantes coming this year...

I am very tempted as well. Has this come out for pre-order yet?
I don't think so.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

WonderFest is officially going digital again. So expect some new reveals this weekend! Hopefully see the painted Rodan'19.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Sakai '91 Kit version coming out. 10,000 yen. 1st run limited to 100 pieces, then will be added to the Godzilla store eventually. Get it if you missed out!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

^Any word on how to go about getting one from the Godzilla store once it gets them? I’ve poked around on the Godzilla store website, but it seems to be only for Japanese residents?

There’s a Kinokuniya bookstore a few hours from me. I know they had Godzilla store merch at times. I wonder if they might be a possible source...

Sorry for the noob questions. Like I said, I’ve browsed the website before but never really figured out how to buy Godzilla store products without resorting to third party sellers on eBay or such.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Wonder why they're not spacing the Harryhausen line out a bit more. It seems frontloaded to put the big 6 at the forefront.

Cyclops
Rhedo
Ymir
3 One Mill Dinos

And at $200-$300 per release, it probably isn't feasible for the common person to scoop the collection as they drop. Plus i'm sure Aftermarket will be killer on this.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:37 pm Wonder why they're not spacing the Harryhausen line out a bit more.
My best guess would be that they have some kind of finite timeline for the license? Like it was a 2 or three year deal and they have to get everything out before the license expires?

No idea if that’s right but I bet it’s something along those lines.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:42 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:37 pm Wonder why they're not spacing the Harryhausen line out a bit more.
My best guess would be that they have some kind of finite timeline for the license? Like it was a 2 or three year deal and they have to get everything out before the license expires?

No idea if that’s right but I bet it’s something along those lines.
It's definitely possible, Harryhausen never really had his characters licensed to figure companies surprisingly enough. I hope these guys are as available as Kong from KSI, as in longterm affordability, but I don't think that Kong is as sought after as Harryhausens creations.

Although even though Rhedo is limited to 500 pieces, he hasn't sold out yet.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

canofhumdingers wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:49 am ^Any word on how to go about getting one from the Godzilla store once it gets them? I’ve poked around on the Godzilla store website, but it seems to be only for Japanese residents?
Use a proxy! Just look up Japanese proxy buying services on Google.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I prefer the SOS Godzilla, you guys think that ones inevitable?

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:38 pm I prefer the SOS Godzilla, you guys think that ones inevitable?
It would seem inevitable they would make one at some point.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:36 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:38 pm I prefer the SOS Godzilla, you guys think that ones inevitable?
It would seem inevitable they would make one at some point.
Yeah, I'm feeling like the 2002 up for preorder currently is going to be remolded and the SOS one will be out next year. So I'll probably hold out for that one.