Toy-collecting philosophy

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Toy-collecting philosophy

Post by Mechagigan »

^ Personally, I'm happy with my NECA '54, even after SHMA's successful improvement. It was the best around at the time, and hell, it's still a very accurate and well-made figure. In my mind, I don't really need SHMA's if I already have a toy that, more or less, already fills the role to a T.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I'm a buy what I want person mainly. I prefer SHMA / Tamashii in general since I want to pose them how I want and change it up every so often. When it comes to duplicates between SHMA and NECA Godzilla, I think I'll end up with each figure from both lines. If I show my monetary support, NECA will keep at Godzilla and SHMA will plan more non-heisei figures.

Barkley
Samurai

Post by Barkley »

MandaSaurus wrote:
Barkley wrote:I collect whatever appeals to me, period, I'm not at all interested in uniformity or being a completionist. Most of my collection is comprised of stylized figures (M1, Marmit, and the best G toy line ever GIGABRAIN) but I also love X+ and old Bandai (Bandai's early to mid nineties Heisei stuff is fantastic! I own all of the 8 inch figures, most with tags)

-Barkley
Oh, you CAN'T be completionist with SHMA unless you DON'T MIND buying repaints/kitbashes of stuff you already have. Or properties that have already been well-covered elsewhere( AVP, anyone? ). And I DO mind - both. Hence, I cannot be an SHMA completionist...
Exactly. By the way, after lurking for a long time I find you to be the single most reasonable collector in these toy forums. You are wise my friend!

-Barkley
"It's Charles, not Gnarls".

Proud G-fan since 1968!!

smotemotem
Young Farmer

Post by smotemotem »

I try to stay hyper-focused. I need hard goals to pursue, in order to find satisfaction in my collection. My goals are to have one toy of each of the Toho Kaiju, someday (eventually planning to include Gamera & Gyaos, on a technicality). Further, I want them in the Sofubi-style, and I prefer having repros of the original sculpt, for most monsters. For monsters that never got a Bullmark/Marusan release, there are some nice toys out there by newer companies (M1go, Marmit, Medicom, Toygraph) that I pick up. However, there are still lots of kaiju who never had a soft-vinyl release that would fit well with the "vintage" look that I'm going for (Mothra trilogy foes, Legion, Zedus, most of the new kaiju from Godzilla: King of Monsters...). As several have said in this thread, space & money are a serious limiting factor.