Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Shenanigans »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:30 pm
Godzillakuj94 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:17 pm Where is a good place to order the Singular Point Anguirus from?
HLJ has him, Manda and the GodzillaTitanosaurusWhateverItIs on Back Order, so another shipment is due anytime. Do not resort to Ebay scalpers.
How's shipping on sites like that these days? Haven't bought anything from HLJ or AmiAmi in years, and well before Covid which of course caused a lot of shipping prices to skyrocket. I imagine things have been better by now though.

I've just been waiting until these vinyls are cheap enough on Amazon to get them, which usually only takes a couple months. Waiting can be agonizing sometimes though.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Can’t stress this enough, but all the Godzilla MMS of up to a year old are easily available in japan and not “sold out”. It would appear that scalpers are purchasing all the stock from regular places, and then selling them from eBay for even higher.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:54 pm Can’t stress this enough, but all the Godzilla MMS of up to a year old are easily available in japan and not “sold out”. It would appear that scalpers are purchasing all the stock from regular places, and then selling them from eBay for even higher.
Between Playmates and now Bandai I’ve never seen scalpers this bad before...what is the deal all the sudden?

I’m also seeing prices jacked up everywhere too even on normally reasonable sites
Last edited by gridiron_kaiju on Mon May 03, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:54 pm Can’t stress this enough, but all the Godzilla MMS of up to a year old are easily available in japan and not “sold out”. It would appear that scalpers are purchasing all the stock from regular places, and then selling them from eBay for even higher.
It's not just E-Bay either. There's a ton of "highly respected" individuals on Facebook running around waving flags reading "$50 FOR A MMS!" and shouting how much a deal it is. Abso-god damn-lutely disgusting. Managed to chase one of these worthless assholes out of a group I'm in and am waiting for the rest of these 40+-year old fucks to start their shit.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I don’t have a dog in this “fight” but in fairness, international shipping costs have increased nigh exponentially since Covid shut down the world. At least some of the increased asking prices may reflect the higher costs currently incurred to transport the items across the ocean. It’s why I’m currently looking at buying any import figures from US based dealers rather than my usual go-to’s of places like HLJ, HobbySearch, or amazonjapan. Even though the Japanese sites offer a lower purchase price, the astronomical shipping costs wind up making it cheaper to pay the higher initial price at places like BBTS right now.

While an MMS figure might be had in Japan for a mere $12 or so, your easily looking at $20+ to ship it. Obviously buying in bulk can help mitigate that at least a bit.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Random question, but what about the older figures? I noticed a while ago that the KOTM figures are out of production on HLJ (I don't know if they are still, I didn't check) but Shin Godzilla wasn't. What's up with that, favoritism? I know Toho still seem to want to use Shin as the "face" of Godzilla. Or do you think it's because of people buying the KOTM figures more?

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 amRandom question, but what about the older figures? I noticed a while ago that the KOTM figures are out of production on HLJ (I don't know if they are still, I didn't check) but Shin Godzilla wasn't. What's up with that, favoritism? I know Toho still seem to want to use Shin as the "face" of Godzilla. Or do you think it's because of people buying the KOTM figures more?
It could be something as simple as HLJ having ordered too many Shin Godzilla figures back in 2016, and still having overstock today due to low demand. Shin came and went in 2016 so without a new movie or episode to keep the character in the public eye, nothing is keeping demand going.
Last edited by G1985 on Tue May 04, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I think it’s probably the exact opposite. Shin Godzilla was a massive hit in Japan. Demand for shin merch was through the roof and has remained high several years after the film came out. They probably have continued adding additional Shin production runs as shipments sell through.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

It is a really interesting case, I still need to get the rest of the MMS figures released I have too many gaps and stock will eventually run out

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

canofhumdingers wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:09 pm I think it’s probably the exact opposite. Shin Godzilla was a massive hit in Japan. Demand for shin merch was through the roof and has remained high several years after the film came out. They probably have continued adding additional Shin production runs as shipments sell through.
It’s more of this I believe. But looking at the Godzilla store website you can still easily purchase Destoroyah or Shin. I’ve also seen many Kiryu in the wild. Some of the Mothra and Shin stuff is starting to be sold out, as well as Rodans, but this is all stuff at least 2 years old now. Then those are still easy to find for SLIGHTLY marked up prices on amazon japan and the likes.

I’m just saying, if you see a MMS figure being sold for 50$ because of them being “sold out”, than that’s a bunch of bs and it’s all “artificial scarcity”.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Kind of a random question but would the Bandai Movie Monster figures be equivalent to Marvel Legends? Figures that can be enjoyed by both kids and collectors?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 am Kind of a random question but would the Bandai Movie Monster figures be equivalent to Marvel Legends? Figures that can be enjoyed by both kids and collectors?
I’m not familiar with Marvel legends, but I’d say so. I’ve collected MMS (or whatever the equivalent was) since I was four, and they’ve always been a valued part of my collection. While I would not recommend hoarding them for the sake of making profits, a lot of them do increase in value after a few years, and depending on the specific figure can fit alongside other higher end figures.

But yeah, at the end these are 800-2800 (8 to 28 USD) vinyl figures. We can romanticize and collect them, but no doubt there’s kids that see these and smash them together willy-nilly.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 am Kind of a random question but would the Bandai Movie Monster figures be equivalent to Marvel Legends? Figures that can be enjoyed by both kids and collectors?
Absolutely, I had a lot of MMS when I was younger, put them through all kind of play wear and tear, one of them ever seriously broke beyond repair.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Would someone happen to have an Ultra 500 Ultraman Zero they could take pics of? I can't seem to find good reviews of the individual figures. Is his back painted? How's he look with Classic scale?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed May 05, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The latest Singular Point critter has been unveiled. Spoilers, obviously, this guy's a new character.
Spoiler:

https://twitter.com/godzilla_jp/status/ ... 6830361603

It almost feels wrong that we're getting this even though we never got a proper Varan from Bandai. But what can you do?

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:18 am The latest Singular Point critter has been unveiled. Spoilers, obviously, this guy's a new character.
Spoiler:

It almost feels wrong that we're getting this even though we never got a proper Varan from Bandai. But what can you do?
I need a Varan.. and this is so strange lol

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:18 am The latest Singular Point critter has been unveiled. Spoilers, obviously, this guy's a new character.
Spoiler:

Looks like my ballsack.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 am
Spoiler:

Looks like my ballsack.
IMO you should make an appointment with your primary care physician ASAP.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Kinda dig the design, but I have enjoyed most of the SP designs thus far, despite their deviations
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 am
Spoiler:

Looks like my ballsack.
LMFAO yeah that's a weak redesign
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira