General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by darkcancer »

Wish I could help as I have the set but don't own any other Godzilla/Gamera line except for the HG series. Were you curious about scale or anything else in particular?

Also if anyone ever wants comparison shots of any of the Godzilla/Gamera HGs (like if you want to see size/paint differences, the variations between originals and reissues, or can't tell which one is being sold on eBay or wherever), I own every one through the present and I don't mind helping out.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

So according to their website and the sheer inevitability lol, Bandai has announced that they are making figures for Godzilla: Singular Point. Fingers crossed from here I suppose.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

G1985 wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:17 pm Does anyone here have the G:KOTM HG+D set? Can someone take a few pictures to show them off against something from NECA, to give me a sense of their size?
I have the Godzilla and Ghidorah from the first set, if that's what you're asking for. Hope this helps!

darkcancer wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:31 pm Also if anyone ever wants comparison shots of any of the Godzilla/Gamera HGs (like if you want to see size/paint differences, the variations between originals and reissues, or can't tell which one is being sold on eBay or wherever), I own every one through the present and I don't mind helping out.
Does that include the Premium HG KOTM set with Rodan, Mothra, & Mothra Larva? If so, would you mind taking a pic of Rodan 2019 with the 1956 and 2004 versions, and Mothra Imago 2019 with a couple of the past Mothras?

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:38 pmI have the Godzilla and Ghidorah from the first set, if that's what you're asking for. Hope this helps!

https://i.imgur.com/gLzHdWr.jpg
That's perfect - thank you! Do you know if the HG+D figures are the same size as the "Little Buddy" blind bag figures?

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Does that include the Premium HG KOTM set with Rodan, Mothra, & Mothra Larva? If so, would you mind taking a pic of Rodan 2019 with the 1956 and 2004 versions, and Mothra Imago 2019 with a couple of the past Mothras?
Yes it does. Here are a bunch of comparison shots along with names from respective HG sets (sorry for the lighting and shadows, and phone quality):
From back left to front right: HG10 Mothra 2004, HG8 Mothra 2001
HG2 Mothra (imago), HG3 Rainbow Mothra, HG5 Armored Mothra
HG D+EX01 Mothra 2019
Front view: Mothra 2019, HG10 Mothra 2004
HG5 Rodan '56, HG11 Rodan 2005, HG D+ EX01 Rodan 2019

Hope this helps!
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

G1985 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:28 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:38 pmI have the Godzilla and Ghidorah from the first set, if that's what you're asking for. Hope this helps!
That's perfect - thank you! Do you know if the HG+D figures are the same size as the "Little Buddy" blind bag figures?
Unfortunately, I do not. I was curious about that myself, actually, particularly because they have Godzilla 1984 (who does not have an HG figure). I'm *pretty* sure they're supposed to be smaller though.

darkcancer wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:13 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:38 pm
Yes it does. Here are a bunch of comparison shots along with names from respective HG sets (sorry for the lighting and shadows, and phone quality):
Hope this helps!
That helps immensely, thank you so much! I was asking because I heard they were a little on the larger size, and Mothra looks it; I would've preferred something smaller, since she's so tiny in the movie itself. It's funny that they gave her the largest figure. Rodan seems to fit a lot better than I was expecting though. They look nicer than I thought overall I'll admit. (Though I really wish Rodan's burning wings were painted!)

Art Spirits has an upcoming KOTM set of 3.5" figures (assuming it ever releases - Art Spirits never seems to release anything on time and these were supposed to be out already). I suspect they'll be a little too big to go with the Gashapon figures, but I'm getting them anyway. Mothra might be about the same size frankly.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:48 pm
G1985 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:28 pm Do you know if the HG+D figures are the same size as the "Little Buddy" blind bag figures?
Unfortunately, I do not. I was curious about that myself, actually, particularly because they have Godzilla 1984 (who does not have an HG figure). I'm *pretty* sure they're supposed to be smaller though.
I finally found some online pics that show the "Little Buddy" figures are in the 2" size range, making them closer to the various Bandai-made "Real Godzilla" boxed candy toy sets from the 90s than to the High Grade sets. See this auction for pictures of the "Real Godzilla" line:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/REAL-GODZILLA- ... SwYaNfmOc3

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:38 pm Art Spirits has an upcoming KOTM set of 3.5" figures (assuming it ever releases - Art Spirits never seems to release anything on time and these were supposed to be out already). I suspect they'll be a little too big to go with the Gashapon figures, but I'm getting them anyway. Mothra might be about the same size frankly.
I've been watching and waiting for that set, too. I had no idea they would be that small - I had hoped the Godzilla figures would be at least 4" high. I found this description at Kaiju Battle giving measurements for each:
...both Godzillas are 9cm [3.5"] in length, Ghidorah is 21cm [8.25"] wide, Rodan is 14cm [5.5"] wide, Mothra (adult) is 17cm [6.75"] wide, and Mothra (larva) is 9cm [3.5"] deep.
Last edited by G1985 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Meant to post this a few days ago but forgot. “Little Buddy” G’84 and Burning G beside Bandai High Grade G’74 and MechaGodzilla. The high grade figures are noticeably larger.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

^ Thank you for those pictures; those are a lot smaller than I thought they'd be.

Anyways, wanted to share something I found amusing. I don't know if anybody knows, or frankly cares, about the show Godzilla Island, but I've always had a soft spot for it and always wanted to make custom 3" figures of some of the original characters featured on the show... mostly because the majority of them are easy repaints! The main repaint characters are of Mechagodzilla 1974, Hedorah, Spacegodzilla, and Jet Jaguar. The intent was always to get more duplicates of the original Gashapon figures to do this, but some are rather pricey (mostly Jet Jaguar), so it never took off. Now the HG D+ line features 3 of those 4 characters, so as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm really hoping Jet Jaguar is added to the line! Mostly because the show featured not one, but two new Jet Jaguars.

Long story short, apparently, I'm not the only one who had this idea, as a Japanese fan beat me to the punch - having already made a custom Neo Hedorah and Super Special Spacegodzilla!

https://user314774.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-313.html

https://user314774.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-335.html

He even made a Gororin, who is notably the only entirely original character in the show.

https://user314774.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-310.html

Happened upon these when looking for something else entirely. I suspect that he will create a Black Mechagodzilla when the 5th set comes out as well.

Just wanted to share another man's customs! I think they look great, and a hell of a lot better than what I'd come up with!

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Now those are breath-taking, I actually thought they were real for a few seconds lol.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Unfortunately Godzilla Island is much too obscure for any new merch, I'd say. It's a miracle any real figures were made.

Anyways, I caved and got the entire Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla D+ 04 set. Wasn't originally going to and just wanted Little Godzilla and Godzilla '94; I think the HG 10 Spacegodzilla is perfect and the previous Moguera was pretty good, too. But the whole set just looks too damn good together, plus the extra crystals for SG. Little Godzilla is a hell of an improvement over the weird one we originally got, and I'm surprised that it's actually properly scaled.

While I wish for more diversity in the selection, I must say, I feel like there was a bump up in quality, and consistency, in the 4th D+ set. All of the sculpts in that set and in the upcoming sets look gorgeous, but the first 3 sets had a few that didn't quite stick the landing. The D+ 03 set kinda sucked, IMO.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Anybody seen any full-color release images of the D+ 05 figures yet?
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Nope, haven't seen anything yet.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

While there might not be any Godzilla news specifically, there is this - a Gashapon city set!

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoh ... set-coming

Looks neat but I don't have the space for it.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Dang. I want that....

I can only seem to find the Japanese page for it. Is it only for sale in Japan? Has anyone found a way for US customers to order it?

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

I see it’s up on BBTS for about double the Japanese retail price. Anyone know of better options for US customers?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Wave 5 color pics have arrived!

https://gashapon.jp/products/detail.htm ... 0501879000

They all look fantastic, but I'm particularly pleased with Ghidorah myself. For whatever reason Bandai sought to make all their Ghidorah 2019 figures yellow or orange instead of gold; glad that didn't carry over here. This Ghidorah looks like he's worthy of standing alongside the amazing Millennium and Showa Ghidorahs they previously released way back when.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:36 pm Wave 5 color pics have arrived!

https://gashapon.jp/products/detail.htm ... 0501879000

They all look fantastic, but I'm particularly pleased with Ghidorah myself. For whatever reason Bandai sought to make all their Ghidorah 2019 figures yellow or orange instead of gold; glad that didn't carry over here. This Ghidorah looks like he's worthy of standing alongside the amazing Millennium and Showa Ghidorahs they previously released way back when.

Yeah wow, these look great! The Megalon coloring looks good too!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shenanigans wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:43 pm While there might not be any Godzilla news specifically, there is this - a Gashapon city set!

https://www.kaijubattle.net/godzillatoh ... set-coming

Looks neat but I don't have the space for it.
I'm suprised nobody's talking about that silhouette. Some kinda Kyodai Hero, maybe Joneus?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Really hope we get a Showa-themed set to go with the Gigan, Megalon, Hedorah and Showa MG they've given us. A dream set of Godzilla '68, Anguirus '68, Jet Jaguar and Titanosaurus. Yes f'n please.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?