General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
pjkong
Yojimbo

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by pjkong »

I was wondering where every one buys their Gashapons. Over the last 2 years I've gotten some really good deals for older ones off of Ebay but the prices for newer figures can be a bit steep.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

pjkong wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:45 am I was wondering where every one buys their Gashapons. Over the last 2 years I've gotten some really good deals for older ones off of Ebay but the prices for newer figures can be a bit steep.
eBay is the best place in the US for them. The best time to get the new sets is around 1-3 weeks after they are released, you can usually get the whole set for $20-$40, IMO is a reasonable price (depending on how you value the gashapons since they are kinda small).

On another note, picked up some of the cardboard mounts that I was missing. I have been slacking and didn't have any from 2014 onward even though they've been out for a while. I am pretty excited I managed to get both Godzilla HG2 and Gamera HG2 since those are so old.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

In-hand pictures of the new set are out and about. Ghidorah's wing design is... questionable, but hopefully isn't too bad in person.

darkcancer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:31 pm

On another note, picked up some of the cardboard mounts that I was missing. I have been slacking and didn't have any from 2014 onward even though they've been out for a while. I am pretty excited I managed to get both Godzilla HG2 and Gamera HG2 since those are so old.
Very nice! Might I ask where you get those? I like collecting those display cards as well, but I don't usually see them around. I have HG sets #4-11 (missing #10) and all three "Chronicle" sets. I hang them up like little posters. :lol:

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:55 am Very nice! Might I ask where you get those? I like collecting those display cards as well, but I don't usually see them around. I have HG sets #4-11 (missing #10) and all three "Chronicle" sets. I hang them up like little posters. :lol:
I usually get them directly from Japan since they are pretty hard to find in the US. Since the shipping can be a little high for just one, I usually wait until I can pick up 4-5 new ones, or if there's an old one I'm missing then I'll string together a whole order of a bunch of stuff and make it worth it. I have be able to find some in the past at sites like kaijufanmarketplace and clubtokyo (back when it was still up). Also, there is one seller on ebay who lists the D+ sets with a mount occasionally, but only in the first few weeks after the set is released.

All of mine are in a binder currently, haven't decided if I wanted to do anything else with them. I've also been trying to buy the insert papers to make a set "complete" to me AKA 1 insert per gashapon. Still missing 10, mostly from HG 1-3.
Last edited by darkcancer on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Star Falcon
Samurai

Post by Star Falcon »

I picked up the latest HG Series D+ 05 from HLJ, and to my dismay all four were the same figure :roll: unlucky i guess?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Star Falcon wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:04 am I picked up the latest HG Series D+ 05 from HLJ, and to my dismay all four were the same figure :roll: unlucky i guess?
That's a bit strange...
Did you request the set of four? I'm not sure how common this is, but you can purchase all four for a little bit extra on amazon Japan.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Star Falcon
Samurai

Post by Star Falcon »

Indeed, it was sealed product with the branding on the side of the box. But all four gachapon were the Godzilla 1991 figure. I can give them away to some friends which is okay, but was very surprising as I had assumed it would be the set of four.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Star Falcon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:30 am Indeed, it was sealed product with the branding on the side of the box. But all four gachapon were the Godzilla 1991 figure. I can give them away to some friends which is okay, but was very surprising as I had assumed it would be the set of four.
I would honestly complain to HLJ, unless you just want to give your friends a Godzilla. Also I just ordered the set and I'll have photos for everyone tomorrow if I'm not beaten.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Star Falcon wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:30 am Indeed, it was sealed product with the branding on the side of the box. But all four gachapon were the Godzilla 1991 figure. I can give them away to some friends which is okay, but was very surprising as I had assumed it would be the set of four.
If I recall correctly, HLJ has the disclaimer about them being blind boxes of 4 capsules and they do NOT check the contents. That why I usually just get my sets from eBay to make sure I get 1 of each.

pjkong
Yojimbo

Post by pjkong »

been trying to get the new Megalon by himself. I came across him on ebay for $15 and there were 6 available. So I thought about it for a little bit. came back the next day to get it and boom! all 6 were gone. Whats that about snoozing and losing? :D

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

So,
Spoiler:
Mechagodzilla is probably one of them
But if the rainbow is supposed to be non-GVK, wonder who we're getting.

God, I wish I could read kanji lol
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

I thought HG D+ 06 was teased a while back with Aqua Mothra and Mechagodzilla (1993)?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

WarpedBandicoot99 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:43 am I thought HG D+ 06 was teased a while back with Aqua Mothra and Mechagodzilla (1993)?
Yes, this is the same wave. Seems it will be GVK themed with Aqua and MG (93) as the non-GVK rep, like how Wave 4 was Godzilla vs King Ghidorah with the inclusion of MG 70s and Megalon

RIP Evan.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:52 am God, I wish I could read kanji lol
I do not believe it will help you in this case; looking through the Japanese responses to this set reveal, everybody's asking what happened to Aqua Mothra and Mechagodzilla '93.

If they are all part of the same wave, why hide the figures they already revealed? Very strange.

As for these figures, Godzilla's looking pretty damn similar to the 2019 figure in pose and translucent fins. And this being the very first Gashapon Kong, I'm surprised he's in such a dynamic pose. Not sure if I like it. Would've greatly preferred a more neutral stance like nearly all other Gashapons have.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

All it says is basically there's 4 figures in total and then the "character x and character y" for the two mystery figures. If I had to guess, they separated the two adverts and released the other one earlier, just to allow for people to get hyped on two different things. It is strange though. Anyways, I'm glad that Kong is appearing. Kong figures are gonna be so cool to add to the collection.

Added in 1 hour 9 minutes 7 seconds:
So it seems like:
Character "Alpha" is Godzilla 2021
Character "Beta" is Kong
Character "Gamma" is Aqua Mothra
Character "Delta" is MechaGodzilla.

Checks out.

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

I still wonder about the possibility of a Singular Point set, maybe they'll do what they did with the 2017 Godzilla anime and just make a Godzilla Ultima. Unless, because there are familiar monsters this time, they'll do more SP gashapon figures.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Well the new Biollante arrived. I am definitely impressed by the detail and the sheer size of it, but a part of me can't consider it a gashapon on this point.

First pic is with the light-up function on. Its a nice little detail and the figure comes with a small LED device with an on/off switch which is stored inside the hollow figure. One neat aspect is the light actually cycles through an on and off cycle at a slow pace, giving off a "throbbing" effect for Biollante's core. I'm a big fan of that as I didn't even read anything about that. Also, even though its hollow it still have some good weight to it and does not feel flimsy at all.

Second pic is just a comparison between its size the the HG 2 & HG Chronicle 2 Biollante. I'll get around to posting more pics eventually but right now all my Hg D+ sets are in boxes as I have run out of room to display them.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

darkcancer wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:44 am Well the new Biollante arrived. I am definitely impressed by the detail and the sheer size of it, but a part of me can't consider it a gashapon on this point.

First pic is with the light-up function on. Its a nice little detail and the figure comes with a small LED device with an on/off switch which is stored inside the hollow figure. One neat aspect is the light actually cycles through an on and off cycle at a slow pace, giving off a "throbbing" effect for Biollante's core. I'm a big fan of that as I didn't even read anything about that. Also, even though its hollow it still have some good weight to it and does not feel flimsy at all.

Second pic is just a comparison between its size the the HG 2 & HG Chronicle 2 Biollante. I'll get around to posting more pics eventually but right now all my Hg D+ sets are in boxes as I have run out of room to display them.
She's a beut for sure, I just can't wrap my head around the asking price. Legit, more than the SHMA Biollante and bordering on X-Plus Biollante prices for a gasaphon. Annoys me so much because this, and the Rodan and Mothra '19 set, virtually guarantees I'll never have a complete roster of HG D+.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

That Biollante has some nice detail, though I still think the head looks too big. Still, love those freestanding vines that it comes with, they ought to have stuff like that with more Biollante figures in general.

Anyways, last month I finally acquired a long-overdue figure for my collection - Battra!

Been looking for this for a decent price for a long time, and I'm super pleased to have it. Now I have at least one figure for each monster in the original Gashapon line, though that doesn't include all the repaints, reissues, remolds and everything else. But I think I got at least one of everybody now.

That will never be the case for the D+ line, though. Echoing the above - I hope they stop this shit with the "Premium" figures, though I can easily see them giving Singular Point monsters the "KOTM Rodan and Mothras 2019" treatment.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Shenanigans wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:55 pm Now I have at least one figure for each monster in the original Gashapon line, though that doesn't include all the repaints, reissues, remolds and everything else. But I think I got at least one of everybody now.
If you are curious about the numbers, the entire HG line (from HG 1 - HG D+ 05) contains 107 unique sculps. This counts double figures such as Super X & Super X II as 1 and does not count repeat sculps used for Godzilla HG 2 and Burning Godzilla HG 4 and Mothra 2004 (HG 10) and Fire Mothra (HG 11). This also includes the 3 Ultra Q monsters released with the HG Tsuburaya Selection which I included just so I have the complete set. There are a total of 58 reused sculps (from HG EX and Chronicles, the above mentioned two, and the HG 6 Crystal set, and the bunch of Shin recently) for a grand total of 165 in the complete run released as of now.

If you are just wondering about the original run (I separate them as HG 1 - HG Chronicles 3) then there are 72 unique sculps, following the same counting method as above (such as including the 3 Ultra Q).
Last edited by darkcancer on Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.