General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
G1985
Gotengo Officer

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by G1985 »

darkcancer wrote:Just when you though the HG D+EX couldn't get more expensive: HG Biollante (large scale) w/ light up function. ¥ 12,000...Biollante will be around 4.5" high and over 8" wide.
One-fiftieth the size of the SHMA at one-half the price. What a value!

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The next HG D+ set has been unveiled -

I must say, I've been collecting Gashapon figures forever; I have nearly all of them by this point (except Battra, that expensive bastard). And while I like the idea of these little diorama-esque Gashapons, I've been incredibly underwhelmed by most of these reveals, including this one. Most look good, but... most also already have really good Gashapon figures. The only worthwhile one has been Biollante Rose (and the KOTM 2019 figures) having never had a Gashapon before.

Technically Godzilla 1991 is new to the line, but there's already three different Gashapon 1989's who are pretty similar. Ghidorah's an improvement over the previous one, but otherwise a boring set IMO. Hopefully this Megalon is at least painted better than the previous one.

I'm not expecting any long-overdue and obscure characters like Manda, but since they're doing a lot of Heisei, I do hope they can at least provide the likes of Baby Godzilla or Fire Rodan. It's a crime that there's no good 3" Heisei Rodan yet.
Last edited by Shenanigans on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Nice find, I was thinking the D+05 set would be announced soon since 04 was released this past week. I do like that Bandai included a Godzilla that hasn't been made before even though the suit differences between 1991 and 1989 are most likely going to be unnoticeable on the gashapon scale. A new Heisei King Ghidorah is nice for new collectors since the only other one was released in 1994 and reissued in 1997. Showa MechaGodzilla is an OK choice, but I would have preferred MechaGodzilla 2 since doesn't have a gashapon (though with how many Show kaiju they've been including, there is hope). And finally Megalon, same thing as King Ghidorah only slightly newer - originally released in 2001 and reissued in 2005 - and was a title Showa enemy while having some nostalgia value

As for obscure characters in the future, I'm still holding out hope. One I can see getting released *eventually* is Gabara since these recent sets have had a Showa enemy in each set.
Shenanigans wrote:
I must say, I've been collecting Gashapon figures forever; I have nearly all of them by this point (except Battra, that expensive bastard).
And with Bandai appearing to focus the main part of these sets on Heisei films now, you have a chance to get Battra in the near future.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah looks like an okay selection. Based on this I assume that they’ll keep doing these. While a pipe dream, there’s definitely a chance we will get some more obscure and special monsters, so long as this keeps going on.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Post by WarpedBandicoot99 »

They do look like nice resculpts, I'll get the GhidoGoji due to not having that suit design in the collection yet. In terms of future sets, a Gabara would be nice or maybe even a Titanosaurus. The one Gabara figure I own is from that Iwakura line but it's close enough for now and looks nice.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

WarpedBandicoot99 wrote:In terms of future sets, a Gabara would be nice or maybe even a Titanosaurus. The one Gabara figure I own is from that Iwakura line but it's close enough for now and looks nice.
That's an idea: Titanosaurus along with MechaGodzilla 2 in a set if they decide to do 2 Showa additions in a set. Then again, Bandai could have just as easily included King Caesar instead of Megalon or Jet Jaguar instead of MechaGodzilla if they wanted to focus on movie lines-ups.

On a side note, if anyone was wondering: with the official release of D+04, the Godzilla HG gashapon series now has over 100 unique sculps (counting reissues of the same sculpts used for different iteration aka HG2 Godzilla and HG4 Burning Godzilla as the same sculpt, and the double figures aka Super X and Super X II as one since they came together).
Last edited by darkcancer on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I purchased the most recent set, the one with little Godzilla. I'll post them tomorrow.

Added in 1 day 9 hours 49 minutes 27 seconds:
HG4 was one of the most impressive sets so far! Really great details and sculpting!
SpaceGodzilla has nice crystals!

Moguera looks good compared to others!

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Now I'm holding out hope that Bandai will do a HG set based around the recently announced Godzilla: Singular Point anime even though it's incredibly early, I don't know if they will for sure though.

For some reason, I thought that a gashapon set wasn't going to get made for the Godzilla anime trilogy but they did, albeit only Godzilla himself and none of the other monsters which was kinda unfortunate.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

WarpedBandicoot99 wrote:Now I'm holding out hope that Bandai will do a HG set based around the recently announced Godzilla: Singular Point anime even though it's incredibly early, I don't know if they will for sure though.

For some reason, I thought that a gashapon set wasn't going to get made for the Godzilla anime trilogy but they did, albeit only Godzilla himself and none of the other monsters which was kinda unfortunate.
They made gashapons for Godzilla Earth I think. New Godzilla design always means new toys. I'm especially excited for the Bandai vinyls.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I definitely expect a some gashapons for the new series, just not sure how Bandai will go about it. A few choices:
-They can include them in the current HG D+ line (similar to how 2017 was thrown into a set in the regulars HG line)
-They could start a new gashapon line based on just the anime (if it has a large kaiju cast or if they want to include characters/vehicles ex: Ms Namikawa in HG7)
-they could run a parallel HG and/or D+/DEX series just for the anime

My bet would be on including Godzilla & others in the current HG D+ line. Personally I'd like only if they included kaiju as I have no interest in the characters if they chose that route.

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

I hope they do for Singular Point, for some reason the design of Godzilla has grown on me and I just really love how he looks even if it is a teaser image. And yeah I agree, I don't think gashapons of the human characters would garner a lot of interest.

The last time they did something similar to that was Miss Namikawa (Invasion of Astro-Monster) from Godzilla HG set 7, also I hope they slow down with Shin Godzilla a bit.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only Gashapon they'v ever released of a human character is Ms. Namikawa, which makes sense cause she's iconic.

If there were ever any other gashapons made of human characters, and imagining they don't take the slot of an obscure monster, what characters would you like to see? Dr. Serizawa seems obvious. I could see Katsura in a space suit as well. Nothing really stands out in my mind from the Heisei series.

Added in 14 minutes 56 seconds:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
WarpedBandicoot99 wrote:Now I'm holding out hope that Bandai will do a HG set based around the recently announced Godzilla: Singular Point anime even though it's incredibly early, I don't know if they will for sure though.

They made gashapons for Godzilla Earth I think. New Godzilla design always means new toys. I'm especially excited for the Bandai vinyls.
I need to go home and check if I have that. I honestly forgot about that. Shame they didn't do Ghidorah at least. Even an MG would have been nice.

I think originally when we got the first HG set I thought it would just be for KOTM. Since we now have Shin, KOTM and a mix of Showa and Heisei, it's clear they want to keep this going on. It's not just a one set promotional thing. Makes me happy because I bought all of my older high grades for expensive prices when I was younger years after they were made. This feels like "my set".

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

To he honest I would like to see a Dr. Serizawa '54 in his diving suit holding the Oxygen Destroyer.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only Gashapon they'v ever released of a human character is Ms. Namikawa, which makes sense cause she's iconic.
Yes, Ms Namikawa is the only human character to get a HG (so far).
LSD Jellyfish wrote: If there were ever any other gashapons made of human characters, and imagining they don't take the slot of an obscure monster, what characters would you like to see? Dr. Serizawa seems obvious. I could see Katsura in a space suit as well. Nothing really stands out in my mind from the Heisei series.
I wouldn't *mind* a Dr Serizawa but would definitely prefer more kaiju. If they do make any other human gashapons then some of the aliens wouldn't be too bad, such as the Black Hole planet 3 aliens or Seatopians. The only Heisei I could see would be android M11.
LSD Jellyfish wrote: They made gashapons for Godzilla Earth I think.
I need to go home and check if I have that. I honestly forgot about that. Shame they didn't do Ghidorah at least. Even an MG would have been nice.
Godzilla Earth was included in the last regular HG set in 2017 before the HG D+ series started. The set included Godzilla 2017, Godzilla 2016 (4th form), Meltdown Godzilla, and Burning Godzilla. I think the Burning Godzilla was a chase figure because it seems to be much rarer on the Japanese sites and much more expensive than a regular HG ($40+). The meltdown was neat because it was entirely translucent orange and the Burning had metallic paint.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

I’d love just about any of those human(oid) characters in high grade form. I’ve got Ms. Namikawa and the other three Xiliens that Iwakura made. Serizawa in dive suit with OD would be incredible. Any other eye catching showa aliens/baddies would be welcome. Heck I’d even go for M-11 if they did his burned terminator ripoff look. In the running pose of course!

And they would make great gashapon imo because I wouldn’t want larger, more expensive figures or statues of most of them, but at gashapon size they’re cheap and easy to fit into a display to add a little zing to a shelf.

WarpedBandicoot99
Samurai

Sounds a little weird perhaps but the one character I've always wanted there to be a gashapon of is Zone Fighter, I've never watched the show but there was something about the design that really captured my attention when I saw him as a kid.

Though I am aware that they will most likely never make a HG Zone Fighter, one can always dream. I remember first seeing him in a Godzilla Numa Numa video from 2009 lol

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Shenanigans wrote:The next HG D+ set has been unveiled -

Why is it that the second I start to drop this line, they start doing shit like this? Like, I pretty much stopped collecting the line around the time of D+01, and now I’m getting more and more upset that I stopped. Some of these recent reveals have been so good!

Biollante (both forms, even if the final is a bit wonky on the proportions), Moguera, SpaceGodzilla, Little Godzilla, Godzilla 1994, and now updates for Showa Mechagodzilla (who needs a better figure than the previous two. Both of them were pretty bad to me. The first version was tiny and virtually unpainted while the second was arguably too tall and stuck in this weird ass pose with the arms). Plus Megalon, King Ghidorah 1991, and MY FAVORITE ALL TIME GODZILLA SUIT?

It’s getting so hard to not give into the temptation and go back to this line...

Added in 1 hour 52 minutes 46 seconds:
darkcancer wrote:
I wouldn't *mind* a Dr Serizawa but would definitely prefer more kaiju. If they do make any other human gashapons then some of the aliens wouldn't be too bad, such as the Black Hole planet 3 aliens or Seatopians. The only Heisei I could see would be android M11.
I dunno, I could maybe see Miki, since she was the only character to appear in 6 out of the 7 films.

Other than that, maybe the Saradian Agent from Biollante? Or perhaps Yuki from SpaceGodzilla. Those are about the only ones that come to mind.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

A new Gamera set has been announced for March 2021. The set will contain 4 figures, two of which are Gyaos 1995. I'm going to guess that the other two will be Gamera 1995 in standing and flying positions.

https://twitter.com/gashapon_tkst/statu ... 8728401922

Sculpts look nice! I thought the Godzilla ones were 500-yen, but these are only 300. I hope this means more Gamera sets are on the way; I've been waiting for a Gamera The Brave set since '06.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote:A new Gamera set has been announced for March 2021. The set will contain 4 figures, two of which are Gyaos 1995. I'm going to guess that the other two will be Gamera 1995 in standing and flying positions.

https://twitter.com/gashapon_tkst/statu ... 8728401922

Sculpts look nice! I thought the Godzilla ones were 500-yen, but these are only 300. I hope this means more Gamera sets are on the way; I've been waiting for a Gamera The Brave set since '06.
Fantastic. I hope this means we get more for the other Heisei era films.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Called it.

https://twitter.com/gashapon_tkst/statu ... 4484491264

Not the most exciting set, but they look better than the previous versions so I'll likely get them all. Cheap enough. Hell, if I can get them real cheap in the US, I might amass a little flying Gyaos army. :D They'd probably scale well with larger Gamera figures!