Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by shadowgigan »

Custom '75 looks like one of the more accurate head sculpts I have seen, great job.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I'm still working on the Titanosaurus paint job, just have to clean up some chippage in some areas, and add another layer of black to his spots. Also, I just wanna say, the blending of yellow paint with dark red paint is such a pain in the ass.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I really need to learn how to paint my models.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:51 pm I really need to learn how to paint my models.
The only way to learn is to start doing it! Also, youtube is a huge boon. There are tons of great modeling tutorials on there. And while finding videos that address specific techniques, tips, etc can be helpful to get started, I often find I learn the most just watching videos of complete builds from start to finish. I try to find videos by the most talented builders and painters because, if you’re gonna copy somebody, why not copy the best?! And I find it incredibly helpful to watch build videos of all sorts of models, not just the kind I want to build (though those are helpful too). But by watching a wider assortment of modeling categories you expose yourself to a LOT more ideas and techniques that you can incorporate into your “skills toolbox”.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

godzilla1541 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am Redid my custom 75 from last year.
Outstanding job!!. Something shma should have done a long time ago.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

I'm trying my hand at Kong 2021. Fur sculpting isn't really my thing but he looks pretty cool. I'll post pics when he's done.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Neat direk, im currently working on an axe for 2004 kong.

Also does anyone think that if the godzilla 2019 hands are heated enough they can be spread into the open claw like pose of the new figure? I have an extra 2019 and thought I try.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

the-killer-wc wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:16 pm Also does anyone think that if the godzilla 2019 hands are heated enough they can be spread into the open claw like pose of the new figure? I have an extra 2019 and thought I try.
Absolutely not. The hands are not molded to be spread that far apart, they will bend and break before you get there.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:29 pm
the-killer-wc wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:16 pm Also does anyone think that if the godzilla 2019 hands are heated enough they can be spread into the open claw like pose of the new figure? I have an extra 2019 and thought I try.
Absolutely not. The hands are not molded to be spread that far apart, they will bend and break before you get there.
Agree, they are permanently molded like that, in order for anyone to have them opened heavy modifications have to be made, cutting them up and using sculpting putty basically redoing the entire hands. Heating them up and opening them won't do anything as they'll just default back to their original pose or they'll look jacked up.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So I'm currently printing DopePopes Anguirus with clear resin, and I may have screwed up the scaling a tad. The problem is that it took a whole 500mg bottle of resin (including the tail which is in the printer right now), and so I can't just reprint it. What do you guys think? Is a beefier Anguirus that much of an issue scale-wise?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I don't think so. He was pretty much on an even playing field in 55, if memory serves me correctly. I think that looks insanely cool.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

I'm sitting here kicking myself knowing I don't have the space for a resin printer and curing station thinking about how good my stuff would look printed with resin. Keep posting these!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:33 pm I don't think so. He was pretty much on an even playing field in 55, if memory serves me correctly. I think that looks insanely cool.
That's what I was thinking too, thanks! I'll also be printing DopePopes Baragon once I get more resin in.

Added in 1 minute 37 seconds:
DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:36 pm I'm sitting here kicking myself knowing I don't have the space for a resin printer and curing station thinking about how good my stuff would look printed with resin. Keep posting these!
Oh absolutely, I had to find the most oddball spot in my house for all the equipment that comes with the stations :lol:, the fact that resin doesn't need to be sanded still blows my mind.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:12 pm So I'm currently printing DopePopes Anguirus with clear resin, and I may have screwed up the scaling a tad. The problem is that it took a whole 500mg bottle of resin (including the tail which is in the printer right now), and so I can't just reprint it. What do you guys think? Is a beefier Anguirus that much of an issue scale-wise?
Oh my God that thing is hideous, look at that gorgeous ugly thing. Why would you create something so beautifully nasty. You're better than that, throw that beautiful piece of crap into the trash and start over, give it to me I'll do it for you.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:58 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:12 pm So I'm currently printing DopePopes Anguirus with clear resin, and I may have screwed up the scaling a tad. The problem is that it took a whole 500mg bottle of resin (including the tail which is in the printer right now), and so I can't just reprint it. What do you guys think? Is a beefier Anguirus that much of an issue scale-wise?
Oh my God that thing is hideous, look at that gorgeous ugly thing. Why would you create something so beautifully nasty. You're better than that, throw that beautiful piece of crap into the trash and start over, give it to me I'll do it for you.
Yes, throw it away....right after you throw away every piece of Godzilla vs. Biollante memorabilia you own, too. You wouldn't want to corrupt your collection with such trash.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maritonic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:02 pm
Yes, throw it away....right after you throw away every piece of Godzilla vs. Biollante memorabilia you own, too. You wouldn't want to corrupt your collection with such trash.
Read between the lines Mulan..... I practically said it was beautiful and that he should give it to me you filthy Biollante hating chewed bubble gum.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:10 pm

Read between the lines Mulan..... I practically said it was beautiful and that he should give it to me you filthy Biollante hating chewed bubble gum.
lmaooo I wish I had a witty response to this, I just don't. Between Mulan and chewed bubble gum, there's nothing I can say that could top it.

I wonder how long until Toho cracks down on these kinds of things, though. Like these all look incredible.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Looks phenomenal! I think the scale looks good to me:

Maritonic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm I wonder how long until Toho cracks down on these kinds of things, though. Like these all look incredible.
If their response to other fan projects is any indication, as long as it isn't turning a profit and using the Godzilla name directly, it should be fine.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Maritonic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm

lmaooo I wish I had a witty response to this, I just don't. Between Mulan and chewed bubble gum, there's nothing I can say that could top it.

I wonder how long until Toho cracks down on these kinds of things, though. Like these all look incredible.
When I start selling mine I'm calling King Kong 62 "Corn Cob". Toho can't catch me.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:14 pm

This thread is perfect :lol: :lol:

I think it's incredible how this (brand new?) technology is available to the masses honestly, the possibilities are endless when it comes to creations. Plus everything is super affordable for what you receive. Once you buy a print you own the file permanently which means you can own as many different sizes of Anguirus for no extra $$$.

I think, as long as the products are independent designs, and you're just selling the files themselves, everything should be okay for the longterm.

Added in 2 minutes 38 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:23 pm
Looks phenomenal! I think the scale looks good to me:

Thanks! Yeah the more I look into some older photos it does seem like he was bigger than I recall.

Added in 47 seconds:
DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:29 pm When I start selling mine I'm calling King Kong "Corn Cob". Toho can't catch me.
Sign me up for the Corn Cob vs Gorilla Whale 2 pack

Added in 20 minutes 3 seconds:
Oh, also, those spikes on his back could easily blind/stab someone, I accidentally cut myself in like 3 places while clipping the supports off :lol:
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.