Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

http://imgur.com/gallery/9LP1nK6

Realized I never took proper pictures of the bootleg Monsterarts Showa King Ghidorah that I custom painted myself last year. It is not a perfect representation of the kaiju but gets pretty darn close. With its articulation, it is definitely by far the most dynamic Showa Ghidorah we will ever get before Monsterarts eventually releases its own.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:49 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:25 pm Got the Destoroyah finally a few days ago. Looks too skreeonkin awesome!
If Bandai could've painted the wings like that, maybe the figure wouldn't have gotten so much (deserved) flack. Very nice!
The criticism for that figure was definitely fair, but Im definitely in the minority that thinks even the retail version looks good and the wings dont bother me much. I am much more bothered by its height than the wings. It should at least be as tall as the spacegodzilla figure.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Figured you guys would get a kick out of this 25cm STARRO from The Suicide Squad I put together. I used a 25cm Cold Cast Starfish as the base, and sculpted/painted over it.

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:48 am Started this guy months ago and finally got around to finishing him a few weeks back.

Here's another redesign, this time of Godzilla 1954. I basically tried to make the original suit more modern and beefy (A lot of Shin features like the gills and ribcage) while retaining everything that made the 54 suit, well, the 54 suit. Shoulders are a little broad but they've grown on me.
You mind PMing me an STL for this guy? I'd love to print and paint him!
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

KaijuKidComics
Ronin

Post by KaijuKidComics »

Yo folks. I've lurked around here for a long, long time just for news on product and all but I finally jumped onboard and since I make a ton of custom figures/statue pieces for my collection thought I'd just post my most recent to kick off with, a simple clay Salunga from SP. Eventually when I can afford it I want to get into designing and printing 3D figure stuff but for now this will have to do, hope you enjoy.
(Hopefully doing this right, the linking/image sharing system here is really confusing.....)

Last edited by KaijuKidComics on Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

KaijuKidComics wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:51 am Yo folks. I've lurked around here for a long, long time just for news on product and all but I finally jumped onboard and since I make a ton of custom figures/statue pieces for my collection thought I'd just post my most recent to kick off with, a simple clay Salunga from SP. Eventually when I can afford it I want to get into designing and printing 3D figure stuff but for now this will have to do, hope you enjoy.
(Hopefully doing this right, the linking/image sharing system here is really confusing.....)

I think you need to have either 30 or 60 posts before you can post images, if I remember right.

KaijuKidComics
Ronin

Post by KaijuKidComics »

Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:13 pm
KaijuKidComics wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:51 am Yo folks. I've lurked around here for a long, long time just for news on product and all but I finally jumped onboard and since I make a ton of custom figures/statue pieces for my collection thought I'd just post my most recent to kick off with, a simple clay Salunga from SP. Eventually when I can afford it I want to get into designing and printing 3D figure stuff but for now this will have to do, hope you enjoy.

I think you need to have either 30 or 60 posts before you can post images, if I remember right.
Dang....not gonna lie, that's really weak, especially for the artists and customizing types like me who would prefer to lead with sharing our work. I'd heard that the TK forums were a little frustrating but that's kinda ridiculous imo. Maybe I'll just go back to just dropping in for figure news and images, not really gonna enjoy a forum where I have to "prove" myself just to share customs and art pieces, but thanks for letting me know.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

KaijuKidComics wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm Dang....not gonna lie, that's really weak, especially for the artists and customizing types like me who would prefer to lead with sharing our work. I'd heard that the TK forums were a little frustrating but that's kinda ridiculous imo. Maybe I'll just go back to just dropping in for figure news and images, not really gonna enjoy a forum where I have to "prove" myself just to share customs and art pieces, but thanks for letting me know.
For starter, probationary periods are extremely common on forums and subreddits.

Secondly, and more importantly, it's an unfortunate measure that had to be taken after some extremely vile events. No one is wild about it, but it's just what needed to be done.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KaijuKidComics wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Dang....not gonna lie, that's really weak, especially for the artists and customizing types like me who would prefer to lead with sharing our work. I'd heard that the TK forums were a little frustrating but that's kinda ridiculous imo. Maybe I'll just go back to just dropping in for figure news and images, not really gonna enjoy a forum where I have to "prove" myself just to share customs and art pieces, but thanks for letting me know.
A few individuals started spamming gore in every thread. This is the only way to prevent that.

KaijuKidComics
Ronin

Post by KaijuKidComics »

Maritonic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm
KaijuKidComics wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:25 pm Dang....not gonna lie, that's really weak, especially for the artists and customizing types like me who would prefer to lead with sharing our work. I'd heard that the TK forums were a little frustrating but that's kinda ridiculous imo. Maybe I'll just go back to just dropping in for figure news and images, not really gonna enjoy a forum where I have to "prove" myself just to share customs and art pieces, but thanks for letting me know.
For starter, probationary periods are extremely common on forums and subreddits.

Secondly, and more importantly, it's an unfortunate measure that had to be taken after some extremely vile events. No one is wild about it, but it's just what needed to be done.
Fair enough, but it's still not worth my time to bother with, I'd rather have the freedom to start posting my customs, share news pics and let my actions speak for themselves instead of being forced to deal with tedious procedure because of a few jackasses. Thanks anyway.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I mean, if youve already been watching this forum for news and figures aand such, you might as well drop a comment here and there. Took me only a few days to reach the threshold.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

I am a user on the forum for a little over a decade now and I've never gotten the hang of embedding images into posts on the forum. I've been able to circumvent that and create albums of photos I take of figures I get using image hosting sites like Imgur. Very easy to work with and once you have your album ready you share a link and it directs people right to it.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

KaijuKidComics wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:48 pm
Maritonic wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Fair enough, but it's still not worth my time to bother with, I'd rather have the freedom to start posting my customs, share news pics and let my actions speak for themselves instead of being forced to deal with tedious procedure because of a few jackasses. Thanks anyway.
You could just PM someone and I'm sure they would be willing to post them for you. I'm interested in seeing your creations!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:46 pm

You could just PM someone and I'm sure they would be willing to post them for you. I'm interested in seeing your creations!
New users can't PM. The parties previously mentioned were sending mass PMs to users with disgusting and vile images. Unfortunately staff have no control over PMs, so all we could do is tell people not to open them.

Added in 1 minute 48 seconds:
Executive Hamster wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:00 pm I mean, if youve already been watching this forum for news and figures aand such, you might as well drop a comment here and there. Took me only a few days to reach the threshold.
What's funny is we have had plenty of users get out of the probationary period. It's not a matter of post count, it's just verifying the legitimacy of a user. I've approved users with 20 posts before. However, we have some that are over 100 that are still being watched. It's a really shitty situation, but it's absolutely better than the alternative.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I sure do hope KaijuKidComics decides to stay around a bit. If he is the same person as KaijuKid on deviantart, his customs are pretty good and quite unique.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I mean if it's "not worth his time", we have plenty of customizers who do fantastic work as is. To some, 20 posts are a mountain to scale when not interested in the source. I get it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I can understand his frustrations and if he doesn't feel it's worth his time than so be it.

KaijuKidComics
Ronin

Post by KaijuKidComics »

_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:01 pm I mean if it's "not worth his time", we have plenty of customizers who do fantastic work as is. To some, 20 posts are a mountain to scale when not interested in the source. I get it.
"When not interested in the source"?
No offense but if I'm reading that right, just gonna say been a fan since the late 80s.....there's NOTHING I follow with more excitement or love than kaiju, and Godzilla specifically, and it's that passion that drives my love of making custom figures. But I also have heard and see some evidence that the forums here have become a bit of a clique club....the mod even hinted at it, some people have to plow through over 100 posts to get "approved" because they're THAT paranoid about being bombarded by bad users? To me it just says that I'll have no idea when I'll be allowed to have full access to the features that will allow me to share my work easily, and it's tedious replying over and over with "Oh, that's cool!" just to get a number on my posts to get that approval.

And yes I am the same Kaijukid from DA, and it's precisely because I'd rather get back to work on my figures and my comics that I don't want to waste time twiddling my thumbs and waiting for approval from, I've lurked here in passing for years for figure news and information on purchasing because I've also been a rabid figure collector for over 20 years and this has always been one of the best sources for early information, but I've strictly stuck to the toy side for my own sanity.

I'm not trying to come off like a dick but honestly I work a full time job, I spend a lot of time on my art and custom pieces and while I get the reasons behind the over-caution it's rather ridiculous as well. If anything a good character reference should be sufficient, Executive Hamster knows that I'm very friendly toward my friends and followers on DA and Instagram and I don't do terrible, stupid things like posting garbage for shock value, I'm not interested in waiting for the mods here to be convinced that I'm worth the "risk". If I change my mind then I'll try to something something to contribute a worthwhile response to, but otherwise I just really don't feel the need to expend the effort and waiting on the whims of nervous mods.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Here's a commission I recently finished for a model made to resemble this rare resin kit:

Spoiler:
And here's a 3D printed model of the anime trilogy MechaGodzilla. The model is by ilikepaperclips on deviantArt.
Spoiler:
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Finished my repaint of the Sakai 2021 Godzilla from Bandai.

Before and After shots.