Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by OGMechaMothra »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:47 pm
Titanus_Rodan wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:31 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:05 pm Who else, at this point, is remaining for Bandai's? I'm not talking about random side monsters (Oodako, Meganulon, Shokirus etc...).
If we’re just talking 6in figures MMS?

King Kong ‘62
Mothra Adult and Larva ‘64
Rodan ‘64
King Ghidorah ‘64
Ebirah ‘66
Kamacurus’67
Kumonga ‘67
Minilla ‘67
Manda ‘68
Baragon’68
Gabara
Mechagodzilla’74

Battra Larva
Super Mechagodzilla
Baby Godzilla
Little Godzilla
Destroyah (crab)

Godzilla 2001
Baragon 2001
Mothra 2001
King Ghidorah 2001
Godzilla 2002
Mechagodzilla 2002
Godzilla 2003
Manda 2004
Zilla 2004
Kumonga 2004
Kamacurus 2004
King Ceasar 2004
Ebirah 2004
Hedorah 2004
Monster X
Chainsaw Gigan
Fire Mothra
Kaiser Ghidorah
Minilla 2004

Female MUTO

I think I got everything.
I wasn't including variations of incarnations of forms, just monsters in general. And overall, bandai MMS. A bunch of those you mentioned btw have had releases over the years. Check above, and you'll see the "Fire Mothra" figure.

Zilla is a good example, but I doubt we'll ever get a figure of him.
Zilla is my most wanted figure.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Varan won that poll??? I came here to ask if there was an update on that thing! Holy shit!

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

If only BANDAI would just do some sort of a 'Movie Monster Series DX' line and put out correctly scaled vinyl figures of the larger monsters, like any given Ghidorah incarnation, Showa Hedorah, Biollante, Destroyah...

That 'Master Detail Movie Monster Series' line was a great opportunity to achieve this, but its' potential went to waste as it died a quick death after pile of spikey metal protrusions aka Anime Trilogy Mechagodzilla (who wasn't even in his own movie) was released.
Size DOES matter!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I do think it kind of misses the point to list a ton of things Bandai hasn't "done yet" if your sole criteria is that it exists specifically as a 6" figure. That flat out ingores some of the best figures of the 90s like Showa Baragon, Battra larva and crab Destroyah.

Bandai has been doing Godzilla toys for almost 4 decades and their releases are more than just the 6" line that younger collectors have labeled the most definitive. Realistically, these are the 4 figures (specifically of monsters that appeared in Godzilla films) we're still waiting on...

Ebirah
Kumonga
Manda (give me a break, the SP one doesn't count)
Gabara
Last edited by Legion1979 on Mon May 23, 2022 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:03 am Manda (give me a break, the SP one doesn't count)
Hey, speak for yourself. The MMS SP Manda is awesome! :lol:
But seriously, a proper Showa or GFW Manda would be awesome.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon May 23, 2022 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

I'm really liking that retro Gigan. Hope I can snag me one.
Last edited by DoubleDam21 on Tue May 24, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

goji1936a wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:58 pm Definitely would like 6” MMS versions of Showa Ghidorah, Mothra adult and baby, Baragon, Rodan, Ebirah, etc. Not sure how these haven’t been released yet. Not popular in Japan?
I'd argue we DID get a "six-inch" Showa Ghidorah, and recently too - but it was under the exorbitantly-priced Premium line. Alas.
I don't think Ebirah has ever been particularly popular (sadly); but the lack of Rodan and Baragon does seem a little odd, especially since they could easily scale down the older 8" figures for it. Mothra might not be a good seller, I dunno.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:05 pm
Shenanigans wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:54 pm Extraordinarily pleased to see Varan pull out the victory here, I thought for sure Super Mechagodzilla had it. Varan is one of relatively few Godzilla monsters that Bandai hasn't made a large-scale figure of in their nearly 40-year run of Godzilla toys, so I'm eager to finally, finally, finally add one to my collection. Never did get the admittedly subpar Y-MSF, which frankly I never really wanted anyway.
Who else, at this point, is remaining for Bandai's? I'm not talking about random side monsters (Oodako, Meganulon, Shokirus etc...). Obviously there's still various incarnations of specific monsters that haven't gotten a release too. Monsters like Orga, Megagurius, and Titanosaurus have had releases long ago, but they still have figures if you're willing to shell out and engage in the hunt.

Off the top of my head:
Ebirah
Kumonga
Showa Manda (arguably distinct enough from other incarnations to warrant a release)
Gabara

Super MechaGodzilla (I think people wanting a figure of this is fair, if Bandai was smart they'd just release both)
Those were the four I was thinking of when I wrote that, and I honestly thought there were more (well, and Zilla, as previously noted). Pretty cool that Bandai has been so thorough, but that's what happens when you're around for 4 decades. I'd still love to see other Toho kaiju like the Space Amoeba gang, but Hell would sooner freeze over. Funny enough, Y-MSF has filled all those remaining gaps with a Zilla on the way (supposedly).

SMG has come in second on both polls now, so you're absolutely correct that they should just release him as a standard release anyway. Not like it won't sell; if anything, a standard release would probably be smarter regardless. Mechs always sell. Plus, if they do another poll next year, removing him could clear the way for a potential Ebirah victory, as he also did well on both polls.
Rody wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:12 am
goji1936a wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:58 pm Definitely would like 6” MMS versions of Showa Ghidorah, Mothra adult and baby, Baragon, Rodan, Ebirah, etc. Not sure how these haven’t been released yet. Not popular in Japan?
I'd argue we DID get a "six-inch" Showa Ghidorah, and recently too - but it was under the exorbitantly-priced Premium line. Alas.
I don't think Ebirah has ever been particularly popular (sadly); but the lack of Rodan and Baragon does seem a little odd, especially since they could easily scale down the older 8" figures for it. Mothra might not be a good seller, I dunno.
I've always been a little surprised that they didn't include Baragon - or Gorosaurus, for that matter - in the original 6" "Godzilla Island" lineup since they were main characters on the show that line was based upon.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Worth pointing out, Bandai also did a Baragon in the Premium series a few years back so odds are if we ever get another one it will be the GMK version, which is probably what they had in mind with this poll anyway.

goji1936a
Young Farmer

Post by goji1936a »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:03 am I do think it kind of misses the point to list a ton of things Bandai hasn't "done yet" if your sole criteria is that it exists specifically as a 6" figure. That flat out ingores some of the best figures of the 90s like Showa Baragon, Battra larva and crab Destroyah.

Bandai has been doing Godzilla toys for almost 4 decades and their releases are more than just the 6" line that younger collectors have labeled the most definitive. Realistically, these are the 4 figures (specifically of monsters that appeared in Godzilla films) we're still waiting on...

Ebirah
Kumonga
Manda (give me a break, the SP one doesn't count)
Gabara
I'm pretty old and was around for the original Bandai 1980s figures. I get what you are saying but I have all of the 80s/90s figures in 8 inch scale. Since MMS and much of the newer releases besides premiums are all 6" it would be great to have some more modern sculpts of the Showa figures than those dating to the late 80s early 90s.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Varanchads...we are so fucking back.

Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Varan winning this reminds me of the KWF days.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

#varansweep

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:22 pm Worth pointing out, Bandai also did a Baragon in the Premium series a few years back so odds are if we ever get another one it will be the GMK version, which is probably what they had in mind with this poll anyway.
That's right, they did; I forgot about that. It looked pretty nice, too, but I think that was when I gave up on the line due to how expensive it was. X_X
A new GMK Baragon figure would be welcome as well, though; for that matter, I'd be game to see all four monsters from the film downscaled to 6" versions.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Most of the Godzilla designs have been done in 6" scale by Bandai, so that a collector could line up all the different Godzilla suits in the same size. But even after all these years they still haven't rescaled the GMK or 2002/03 Godzillas. 1991 was a big gap they filled last year at least.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I've been seeing alot of Bandai Super Premium pics recently, they look incredibly nice. But apparently, they are super expensive? I might need to save up.

EDIT: THERE'S A MUTO?!

EDIT2: Oh, so the Muto set is not part of that line, that line is l long dead. Dang. Does Bandai have a similar high quality line like that today?
Last edited by Anguirus on Tue May 24, 2022 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

Anguirus wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:06 pm I've been seeing alot of Bandai Super Premium pics recently, they look incredibly nice. But apparently, they are super expensive? I might need to save up.
Yes, the Super Premium is VERY expensive. I got mine with my tax returns, so it FEELS like I got it for free...even if that isnt true technically. But its a great figure if you can get one.

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

My Mutos have shipped! I am very excited!

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Maruzen Toy has listed preorders for the following Bandai Movie Monster Series figures releasing later this year.
Movie Monster Series Mechagodzilla 2002 11/5
Movie Monster Series Evangelion Unit 1 11/5
Movie Monster Series Evangelion Unit 2 11/5
Movie Monster Series Gamera 1996 11/26
Movie Monster Series Rodan (Gojiban edition) 12/24
Movie Monster Series Angilas (Gojiban edition) 12/24

Added in 5 minutes 8 seconds:
Shin Ultraman figures/spoilers:
Spoiler:
MOVIE MONSTER SERIES: ZOFFY & ZARAB are live on HLJ

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Nothing I'm buying from those releases (another Kiryu?) but cool.