Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Platypus Prime »

Well, the new Ghidorah IS still very top heavy, I have a safety wire in place just in case and a few ball joints do pop out if you're not careful, but for what I wanted (gold Ghidorah that doesn't look dinky next to my Music Box Godzilla) this will work perfectly!

Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sat May 21, 2022 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManyDoorsYes
Ronin

Post by ManyDoorsYes »

I actually really prefer this metallic gold to the original release, so I'm glad I never went through with getting the original. This feels like a definitive ghidorah figure that'll stand out on my shelf.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Just have something for support, the stands alone I am not sure will keep it up if it gets bumped.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh no not Snoopy!

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Beautiful diorama. Will be home to open mine next Sunday, so very excited. Will see which Ghidorah figure comes out on top. Have heard a couple say that this is a definitive Ghidorah figure for collectors.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Be careful of the wings, they are both heavy and SHARP, and they can slide off if you're not careful, you may want to have this on a surface that you can lay it down on while getting used to it. Is is VERY top-heavy and while it can carefully stand on its own, the slightest forward-tilt will send it over. Like I said above, I have a wire attached to the top shelf going around his chest as a 'safety line'.

Despite that, it looks awesome. Here is my attempt to pose it, posted a bit bigger than normal so you can clearly see the wire for reference. I also recycled a 'He Man' effect as a sub for the breath till the lightning stuff comes in from Bandai at some point.

It may not be 'accurate' to any one thing, but for my setup where I have a mix of monsters, scales, and eras following the rule of 'whatever I feel like', it works wonderfully. After all, that's '89 Godzilla, and the two look like they belong together.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sun May 22, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManyDoorsYes
Ronin

Post by ManyDoorsYes »

Is that the recent 89 monster arts or the Kou Kyou Kyoku one?

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Sorry, I forgot there were two now. It's the Kou Kyou Kyoku, I liked the size better (and I got it in super-clearance). It's my 'main' Godzilla and so part of the reason I wanted a bigger Ghidorah was to work with it. Also why I have NECA Illustrated Kong. Luckily, SCV Biollante works just fine with it. I do have a SCV Godzilla 2000, but it tends to be more to the side, I just don't find it as impressive.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Sun May 22, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManyDoorsYes
Ronin

Post by ManyDoorsYes »

Ah, thats a shame I love that scale but I have the recent 89 figure. Probably going to look a bit too small next to him, cant wait to see how he looks against my utlima figure though.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I know the Music Box one is hard to find decently now, but Super7 still has the other eight-inch scaled one coming out, you can probably find it through BBTS or something, they often keep their preorders open for longer than Super7 itself does.

Edit: Just checked, they do have Ultimates Godzilla and Rose Biollante both up still for preorder, so while it may not be quite the same, it is an option!
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Mon May 23, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Wait, they're making a Rose Biollante?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Spuro wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:38 pm Wait, they're making a Rose Biollante?
For the Super7 Ultimates, yes.

No MA yet, I'm afraid.

RIP Evan.

ManyDoorsYes
Ronin

Post by ManyDoorsYes »

Platypus Prime wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:02 pm

Edit: Just checked, they do have Ultimates Godzilla and Rose Biollante both up still for preorder, so while it may not be quite the same, it is an option!
That looks pretty cool, I might just end up getting that.

ManyDoorsYes
Ronin

Post by ManyDoorsYes »

Just got my special color ghidorah in finally. Absolutely incredible figure, I guess my accounts too new to share pictures of my display yet but it looks amazing. Well worth the wait and I'm glad I skipped on the original release.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Ugh, I saw a review online for Gamera 2005 by Revoltech. I was thinking of biting the bullet amd buying it, since I have all the other Heisei Gamera figures from them. But the segmented tail looks soo ugly.
Anyway, I am still very happy with my Momsterarts 95.
I might buy the Godzilla Ultima, although I'm not sure it will fit on my shelf, my Neca Shin fits thankfully since it's arched upwards.

LynnBob 1967
GPN Volunteer

Post by LynnBob 1967 »

Spuro wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:38 pm Wait, they're making a Rose Biollante?
Yes.
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/ ... ils/199315
PHIL 4:13

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Just opened my Ghidorah and it is one huge beast of a figure. Wings are absolutely massive. Details are great and while some slight QC paint issues on the wings, overall a stunning figure.

Articulation is really nice with the exception of one issue I am facing. The hexagon joint that goes into one of my wings came off its ball joint and is now stuck inside the wing. Currently causing a gapping issue when the wing gets mounted onto the figure. Any advice anyone may have in dislodged the joint from inside the wing? Thanks!

Will upload pictures at a later date.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

A 'soft' tool like a plastic pryer or a picnic knife or fork might help, I'd avoid metal like a screwdriver just due to the risk of gouging it. Also, prior to trying to get it out, running a hair dryer around the socket to expand it can loosen the peg, just don't blow-dry the peg itself, it's not what you need expanded. If you can grip the socket and pull while you hair-dryer it it might just come out by hand. Edit: Another note, be gentle with the heat, since hard plastic like the wings sometimes can curl if overheated.
Last edited by Platypus Prime on Mon May 30, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Platypus Prime wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:02 am A 'soft' tool like a plastic pryer or a picnic knife or fork might help, I'd avoid metal like a screwdriver just due to the risk of gouging it. Also, prior to trying to get it out, running a hair dryer around the socket to expand it can loosen the peg, just don't blow-dry the peg itself, it's not what you need expanded. If you can grip the socket and pull while you hair-dryer it it might just come out by hand.
Worked like a charm. Thanks for the pointer. Was in there pretty good!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Oops, I just put in an edit for the hair dryer due to the wing plastic to not overdo it, but it looks like it was ok. Glad it helped!