Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Re: Playmates: Godzilla/Kong

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

These look absolutely wonderful!!!! Can’t wait to pick them up!!!

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Damn... This is so awesome.

Now I'm worried about those scalpers...

As a foreigner, I have a lot of difficulty getting Playmate products. I have to buy them for several times the price. Given that there is even a non-mainstream Kaiju such as Terrestris, Playmates is likely to become a big competitor against Bandai MMS in the future. I hope they make an official sale on Amazon......

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

OH SHIT! This is the first time Ive been immediately sold on ANYTHING Playmates has done. That Ghidorah is an immediate yes from me, its replacing my Bandai figure and I want it now. Terrestis and shin look great. If we can get a Godzilla Ultima Im going to take back every word I ever said about Playmates.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Playmates is definitely doing the right moves now to make missing Neca be a thing of the past.

Added in 3 minutes 22 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm Don't post pictures or links or anything helpful...

[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 7560_n.png[/ig]
[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... 0996_n.png[/ig]

Added in 2 minutes 40 seconds:
Terrestris is an inspired but welcomed choice. Someone on the Playmates team has to be a Gorosaurus mark at this rate. The new Shin is also a marked improvement on their initial offering. It looks really phenomenal. I might even grab it for my Godzilla display.

Ghidorah also looks really friggin' cool. Depending on how he scales, might grab him.
Well based in those pics he looks about the size of the Bandai 2019 mms Ghidorah. He definitely is scaled yo the playmates Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm suprised they picked anything from Singular point, let alone Terrestris.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I literally bought the Bandai Terrestris figure 2 months ago then Playmates does this lol. Regardless I'll be picking up any I can find.
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Despite these awesome picks. They really need to improve availability.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

On damn, Ghidorah AND Mothra '19, plus a new Gorozilla sculpt.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:48 pm On damn, Ghidorah AND Mothra '19, plus a new Gorozilla sculpt.
Not Mothra, that’s the helicopter accessory for KSI Kong.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

This is great! I'll see what they look like when they release. But if they're more in the realm of Rodan and Gorosaurus, this is really good. The Legendary Ghidorah really interests me too.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm Image
In the Classics series, we're getting a new (rescaled from the 12 inch) Final Wars Godzilla, the new Godzilla Terrestris, and a new tooling for Shin Godzilla.
In the Monsterverse series, we're getting a new 2014 Godzilla (per the box art) in burning colors, a new 2019 Godzilla, a Skull Island Kong with propeller/chain weapon, and a KOTM Ghidorah.

It's a good year to be a Monsterverse fan.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Nice looking sculpts on the Ghidorah and the Terrestris. Committed to the Monsterarts SCV but intrigued by how the new Ghidorah night come out. Sculpt looks pretty good from a first glance.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I wonder why there are no more additional pics. Is this booth not open to the public? You know, there was a similar situation when GvK Mechagodzilla was first leaked from Playmates Toy closed-door booth.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

G1985 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:22 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm Image
In the Classics series, we're getting a new (rescaled from the 12 inch) Final Wars Godzilla, the new Godzilla Terrestris, and a new tooling for Shin Godzilla.
In the Monsterverse series, we're getting a new 2014 Godzilla (per the box art) in burning colors, a new 2019 Godzilla, a Skull Island Kong with propeller/chain weapon, and a KOTM Ghidorah.

It's a good year to be a Monsterverse fan.
That is not a new final wars. It's still the eternally screaming sculpt.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Yeap, it looks like it was leaked from closed-door booth. Too bad. I want more pics.

ElijahSky
Monarch Researcher

Post by ElijahSky »

It's nice to have leaked pics that don't look like they were taken with a 2002 Nokia for once.

So... Terrestris is a surprising option, but looks like they had access to the Bandai sculpt again which is probably why it's happening. The Shin Godzilla needs work but is miles better than the last one. The Burning Godzilla looks decent, seems to reuse some parts from the electronic roaring Godzilla sculpt above it. The new Skull Island Kong looks like they might have scaled down the 12 inch Kong they did some time back and modified it. Ghidorah is too damn small, looks like tha Jakks Pacific Ghidorah compared to the others.

The new packaging on the MonsterVerse and Toho series both look great, and I'm glad we're getting a look at new merch. Hopefully they'll be more available than the last few figures they put out.
Still have my fingers crossed for underrepresented monsters from the franchise like Varan, Monster X, Scylla, etc...
Last edited by ElijahSky on Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

These figures look amazing. I'm incredibly surprised and pleased that they are making Terrestris, though it is funny to see that they are mostly going for "dinosaur" looking Kaiju. Regardless, I'm excited to see the line continuing at this pace. Ghidorah and Godzilla 2014 are the standout options to me.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I was sort of hoping for a more 'retro-Toho' Kong to go with Gorosaurus, but it looks like that's out for now. Knowing how big the 'battle damage' GvK molds are, Ghidorah isn't that big. I do hope they will do a 'lights/sounds' Ghidorah later, as the gimmick was very well done with Godzilla's fins and eyes, I would love to see them apply it to Ghidorah's necks, eyes, and mouths.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

I'm not complaining about Terrestris, but that has got to be the most random-ass character they could've possibly chosen. Well, I guess Amphibia with his two seconds of glory would've been even stranger, but if they were going to go anyone from SP, why not do someone like Salunga or Anguirus? Looks shockingly good though.

Honestly, I feel like I'm most excited for the new Kong 2017. The original (seen in the first pic) was... better than nothing, but that's about all I could give it. This one looks legitimately great though, plus some fun little accessories. It'll be nice to finally have a solid 6" Kong 2017.

Does Burning Godzilla actually have 2014 fins or are people just basing that on the 2014 logo on the box? I can't really tell.
ElijahSky wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:08 am The new Skull Island Kong looks like they might have scaled down the 12 inch Kong they did some time back and modified it. Ghidorah is too damn small, looks like tha Jakks Pacific Ghidorah compared to the others.

The new packaging on the MonsterVerse and Toho series both look great, and I'm glad we're getting a look at new merch. Hopefully they'll be more available than the last few figures they put out.
Still have my fingers crossed for underrepresented monsters from the franchise like Varan, Monster X, Scylla, etc...
Agreed on all points. Ghidorah's sculpt and paint look better than the Jakks Pacific (from what I can see so far anyway), and I think the proportions look more accurate than any of Bandai's offerings, so I'm pleased with it. But yeah, the size is once again a disappointment.

...And yet, its probably going to be one of the better Ghidorahs out there, frankly.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shenanigans wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:53 am I'm not complaining about Terrestris, but that has got to be the most random-ass character they could've possibly chosen. Well, I guess Amphibia with his two seconds of glory would've been even stranger, but if they were going to go anyone from SP, why not do someone like Salunga or Anguirus? Looks shockingly good though.

Honestly, I feel like I'm most excited for the new Kong 2017. The original (seen in the first pic) was... better than nothing, but that's about all I could give it. This one looks legitimately great though, plus some fun little accessories. It'll be nice to finally have a solid 6" Kong 2017.

Does Burning Godzilla actually have 2014 fins or are people just basing that on the 2014 logo on the box? I can't really tell.
ElijahSky wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:08 am The new Skull Island Kong looks like they might have scaled down the 12 inch Kong they did some time back and modified it. Ghidorah is too damn small, looks like tha Jakks Pacific Ghidorah compared to the others.

Agreed on all points. Ghidorah's sculpt and paint look better than the Jakks Pacific (from what I can see so far anyway), and I think the proportions look more accurate than any of Bandai's offerings, so I'm pleased with it. But yeah, the size is once again a disappointment.

...And yet, its probably going to be one of the better Ghidorahs out there, frankly.
Ghidorah's height is correct compared to the 6 inch playmates Godzilla.

Added in 23 seconds:
Also the 2017 Kong has better leg articulation than the old Kongs.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image